Seen any good movies lately?

[reply]Just saw Spring Breakers and man I thought it was utter horse shit!!! Never has a film tried so hard to be so arty and edgy and failed so badly. The first 40 mins is just complete garbage where you are subjected to hip kids showing you how to really party… then the next 40 mins is a gangster story you’ve seen a million times but done poorly. Total crap.

On the plus side James Franco is brilliant…regardless a polished turd is still a turd.

It’s obviously a very polarizing film…people either seem to love it or hate it…as I’ve stated,I loved it…yet,I can definitely understand why people would dislike it…but I didn’t ever feel he was trying to be edgy or arty…as Korine has stated the film is about “surfaces”…and if you get what he is saying there then I think the film succeeds…he also talks about there being a “liquid narrative”…I think the film moves more as a musical piece than a straight up cinematic narrative…it’s impressionistic and moody and I think he was trying to capture that more than a comprehensive story line…the story for me was an after thought,I just liked the way it kind of breezed through me…especially with all the time dysfunction and repeated phrases…that being said,I totally understand someone not digging it…you gotta love Franco though and if you can’t enjoy the cinematography and color scheme well then I don’t know what to say to that…cuz that aspect was masterfully executed…[/reply]

I agree that visually the movie was awesome. Some really unusual shots and angles. I just mean that I didn’t like it because the plot was a little far fetched to me. Though I think it is supposed to be based on a true story, some of the scenes I kinda found hard to believe.

I haven’t heard anywhere that the film was based on a true story…I’ve only heard that a rapper named Riff Raff is trying to sue them because he says that the Franco character was based on him…

I haven’t heard anywhere that the film was based on a true story…I’ve only heard that a rapper named Riff Raff is trying to sue them because he says that the Franco character was based on him…

Yeah yeah you are right. Based on some real rapper but the story is not. My bad.

Watched Ain’t Them Bodies Saints last night because Rooney Mara is in it and she’s pretty much perfection. It’s an okay movie, I suppose. Kinda let down by the lack of emotional impact such a story had on me though.

The acting was amazing by Rooney Mara and Casey Afleck but the writing/directing seemed unfocused and rushed (especially towards the end). A whole movie filled with missed opportunities.

EDIT: The cinematography was really beautiful and there were some great moments. Don’t get me wrong - I’m not shitting on the movie.

Kick Ass 2 as fun as the first one. I don’t know if it was as good because it was different but had the same violent humor. I loved it and would recommend anyone on here to watch it and the first one if you haven’t seen it (sure most of you have).

Good shit.

Apocalypse Now (Redux) - still holds up…after all these years. One of the ten greatest films ever made.

Persona - not Bergman’s best, but probably his most unsettling. An artistic high point.

Zelig - Woody Allen is a genius.

Zelig - Woody Allen is a genius.

And a dirty paedo!

I didn’t like Frozen. It was like watching a five year old play with her Disney’s Pretty Princess Playset for 90 minutes.

With songs.

Sharknado.

Best.

Movie.

Ever.

I have been watching my old Twin Peaks dvds again. First time I’ve watched the series since 2007. Still hasn’t lost any of its charm or mystery. Twenty three years since I first saw it on tv and I still get the goosebumps. Goosebumps is a good sign.

Also been watching of late:

Once Upon A Time In America

The Idiots - Lars Von Trier film about a group of intellectuals who undertake a social experiment by pretending to be retarded. It’s highbrow, fucked up shit. And brilliant too!

Jagten (The Hunt) - Danish film about a kindergarten teacher who is falsely accused of molesting students. Some scenes are painful to watch.

La Strada

Storytelling - Tod Solondz follow up to Happiness. Depressing but captivating.

I’m going to see The Wolf Of Wall Street next week.

Watched a British film called Eden Lake…a pretty effective little thriller with a bleak and nihilistic ending that veered from cliché…a feel bad horror film…

Also saw The Place Beyond the Pines…a kind of three act movie with some really good acting…Mike Patton did the score…probably could have used a bit of editing but still pretty decent all around…

I saw Frozen a few weeks back. It was pretty good.

did you mean this one? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_(2010_American_film)

because i rather liked that one.

i got my girlfriend a copy of the new blu-Ray edition of Tank Girl for christmas, so we watched that recently. i really love that movie. love the comic as well, and i can see why some fans of the comic were let down with the film, but i loved it.

Watched Kubrick’s Lolita and Robert Wise’s The Haunting last night. Both classics from the early 60’s.

I saw a shitty movie the other day. CBGB.
Imagine 24 Hour Party People if 24 Hour Party People really sucked.

I saw a shitty movie the other day. CBGB.
Imagine 24 Hour Party People if 24 Hour Party People really sucked.

It is pretty boring and shitty, CBGB, the whole film’s point is for a load of cameos of people dressed as Blondie and The Ramones. That’s kinda the reason i watched it, to see these doppelgangers, but in every scene it’s almost like “Look at me! There’s no decent story/script but I’m dressed as Debbie Harry!”

I didn’t like 24 Hour Party People either though. I always thought Tony Wilson was a dick since i was a kid and i never liked any of the Manchester bands. Plus, i just Steve Coogan plays Tony Wilson almost exactly like he plays Alan Partridge, which was quite distracting, and i love Partridge.

Whatever you do, don’t give in to temptation and go see Nolan’s Interstellar.

Waste of time and space (HA! geddit!?!)

Hokey pokey sentiment and crudely thrown together text book science - swimming in the murky waters of a bloated tv movie of the week.

And comparisons to the great 2001 are hilarious. It’s not even a notch on the belt of Kubrick’s masterpiece.

Film goers these days are so easy to win over…

The trailers for Interstellar looked ok, then i saw a new one before Fury yesterday and it put me right off it. Fury was pretty good though.

Also watched The Warrior’s Way again recently, it’s a good film, it’s hyper-stylized, crazy film about Korea’s greatest assassin having a change of heart about killing the child he’s supposed to be doing a contract on, so he leaves the country with her and goes to the Wild West, much to the anger of his insane clan of magic ninjas. He gets used to the quiet life in the US, living with a group of circus people in a little desert town, but a posse of evil cowboys soon fuck things up, and the warrior’s clan find out where he is and decide to pay him a visit.

If you’ve ever wondered what would happen if some cowboys took on a ninja clan in the old west, it’s one for you. It’s just a really enjoyable, violent little film with lots of heart.

Also re-watched 2 great straight to dvd action films, Sinners and Saints (basically exactly like Lethal Weapon, but set in NOLA) and the mighty Undisputed II, which is, hands down, one of the greatest fight films of the past couple of decades.

Just watched Beware Of Mr. Baker last night. I strongly recommend it, even if you’re not a Cream fan just to see how nuts Ginger Baker really is. I had no idea of the hatred between him and Jack Bruce, and seeing him talk mad shit about Mick Jagger is priceless.

Captain America II: Excellent!

2Guns…another good one.

Captain America II: Excellent!

2Guns…another good one.

Yeah, loved Cap II and 2 Guns was a lot of fun, i ended up watching it a few times. You can always depend on Denzel Washington to give a great performance, no matter how generic the film, but i can really take or leave Marky Mark. As a person i think he’s a horrible, arrogant shit, but he’s knocked out a few enjoyable performances. Bill Paxton’s enjoyable hateful in it too.

Cap II was absolutely amazing. I watched it in the cinema and was blown away, i thought it was much better than Avengers. The first Captain America was already my favourite Marvel film, but i think the second one topped it. I’m not a huge lover of constant comic book films. i’d kinda reached saturation point, but this was a fresh, exciting film, so well directed and the fight scenes and action scenes were brilliant.

He’s the kind of character who could just be bland, but Chris Evans does a great job of making a square, earnest do-gooder a believable and likable character. I can’t think of anyone who could have played him better. The scene where Nick Fury… er, “gets stuck in traffic”, was stupendously good [:)]