Seen any good movies lately?

I know it’s not a movie, but i just got done watching all of the “house of saddam” episodes (4 one hour long ones) on hbo on demand. Man was that good. Guy obviously was evil but his story certainly held my interest to keep going.

“Doubt” was really good. I also enjoyed “Let the Right One In”

Damn I really wanted to see the House of Saddam. Seemed very interesting. Some good films I’ve just seen:

‘Teeth’
‘There Will Be Blood’

NO[sly]

punisher: warzone finally get frank castle right.

avoid the mummy 3 at all costs… the chinese mummy thing itself doesn’t work. then there’s a new wife (racheal weisz didn’t do this one) and it is just lame lame lame… he’s not a mummy but a guy who got turned into a statue that came back to life… i don’t want to give away too much, but it’s just not very good. I saw that darjeeeling limited movie recently, it didn’t really hold my interest… granted i was half asleep.

I watched “something wicked this way comes” for the first time since i was like 5 over christmas and i’d have to say it still held up very well. It was one of those movies i didn’t know the name to, but i remember watching alot when i was a kid and always wanting to find out what it was… another movie like that is this cartoon called unico. I know the name but in this case it’s been out of print forever. Never even got a dvd release.

I wanted to see that movie but, yea the whole jet li chinese mummy deal is kinda lame and no racheal weiz that sucks cos she’s hot. I had a few people say it was a good movie though.

I watched “something wicked this way comes”.

Excellent Excellent movie!! Probably had something to do with bradbury writing the screenplay! When others write Bradbury’s books into screenplays they suck!! read Fahrenheit 451 then see the movie to see what I’m talking about.
Late,
grmpysmrf

‘Gonzo’ wasn’t bad, could have been a bit shorter.

Also just seen ‘Black God White Devil’. Interesting but a tad overrated.

Another film Ive seen again recently was ‘Special’ (2006). A great little film. Solid recommendation.

GO SEE THE WRESTLER

IZ WICKED AWESOME.

Mickey Rourke is a damn fine actor of doom.

Ho, man. Last night was an epic movie experience.

“Eagle Eye,” “Death Race,” and “The Dark Knight” (FUCKING FINALLY) all back-to-back-to-back.

avoid the mummy 3 at all costs… the chinese mummy thing itself doesn’t work. then there’s a new wife (racheal weisz didn’t do this one) and it is just lame lame lame…

And while you’re at it, avoid 1 and 2 as well.

And avoid anything Brendan Fraser has ever made/will ever make.

If you know what’s good for you.

I haven’t seen any films at the cinema recently but I did happen to catch The Orphanage (a creepy little Spanish film) and There Will Be Blood (P T Anderson film) which were both outstanding.

GO SEE THE WRESTLER

IZ WICKED AWESOME.

Agreed

Great film. A shame no one outside of L.A. or NYC will be able to. Did it get wider release?

Also, saw The Fisher King the other night. Really heart-breaking. Loved it.

GO SEE THE WRESTLER

IZ WICKED AWESOME.

Am really looking forward to this film. I dont know if its getting a general release but its getting a run in a cinema in Dublin, Ireland in a few weeks time, so I’d say it will reach a good few venues. Theres oscar buzz around Rourke for his role as the broken down piece of meat so if thats the case it will be picked upa fair bit.

Just thankful the role didn’t go to Nic Cage… that would have been too much hilarity.

Recently been watching:

Lars Von Trier’s ‘The Kingdom’ and ‘The Idiots’.

Ingmar Bergman’s ‘Fanny And Alexander’.

The Fall Of The House Of Usher

The Battle Of Algiers

Gummo

Polanski’s ‘The Tenant

I enjoyed Gran Torino quite a bit Most of Eastwood’s movies are solid nowadays.

I jumped on the bandwagon and went to see “The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button” on X-Mas Day. Not for Brad Pitt. I went because it’s an adaptation of an F. Scott Fitzgerald short story (who knew that I actually cared about literature?! LOL)… Pretty solid movie. I liked it and thought it was pretty well done although I didn’t like how they “modernized” it to bring it into this era when the short story itself draws a conclusion in the 50’s and is mostly drawn around the war itself that was going on at the time (meaning post WWII). Other than that I thought it was really good and that the characters portrayed were brought to life rather than just being acted out. Basically another “Meet Joe Black” if you are into Pitt, which wasn’t a bad flick, but as with this movie, just took too damn long to get through.

Peace!!

Krowe

P.S. Happy New Year! Don’t get too drunk and go to jail. It’s a shitty way to start the new year, LOL.

Recently been watching:

Lars Von Trier’s ‘The Kingdom’ and ‘The Idiots’.

Ingmar Bergman’s ‘Fanny And Alexander’.

The Fall Of The House Of Usher

The Battle Of Algiers

Gummo

Polanski’s ‘The Tenant

Is ‘The Kingdom’ worth picking up? Premise sounds interersting but I have not heard much about it. I watched ‘The Idiots’ a few years back in a film class. It was uncut. When the sex scene came on, particularly the penetration shot there was a subtle gasp of shock amongst some of the audience. One of the funniest film experiences I’ve had.

‘Fanny and Alexander’ is sublime. One of the most touching films I’ve seen. A wonder.

The Kingdom is most certainly worth picking up if you can find it. I saw it in '95 when it first came out and it blew me away…still one of the greatest experiences I have ever had at the cinema (even though technically it is a tv series and not a film per se…but I still saw it at the cinema).

Fanny And Alexander is long but indeed sublime. Not one of Bergman’s greatest (that title goes to Wild Strawberries and The Virgin Spring).

Check out the films of Michael Haneke also, if you like challenging cinema.

…you can probably tell from my choice of film that I’m not one for the Hollywood schlockbuster. I hate most of them. Occasionally one will come out that I love (like The Incredibles) but usually they leave me cold. Fucking HATED The Matrix when every other fanboy my age was reduced to a drooling mess. Ditto the Star Wars prequels. The Dark Knight was…passable I suppose, but only just. Still took itself way too seriously and was was too crammed with far too many plots and sub plots. I just found the storyline convoluted and the dialogue was pretty lopsided.

Can’t believe so many guys my age (34) jizz themselves over shit like Batman and Spiderman or Harry Potter And The Magic Golden Sneakers or whatever the fuck. Doesn’t anyone appreciate the ‘art’ of cinema anymore? Doesn’t anyone love arthouse?

Apparently not. It’s all fucking superhero shit or boring, contrived crap with the same actors over and over and over. It’s as if people can’t go and see a decent film unless they have posters of the actors on their bedroom wall.

Michael Haneke huh? I loved Cache and also thought the Piano Teacher was quite good. Haven’t been able to steel myself to watch Funny Games. He’s a little pessimistic for where I’m at right now but suspect that I’ll really dig FG when the time is right.

Personally I enjoy art house and the right sort of blockbuster. Wall-E was fantastic, I liked Iron Man, and Adam Sandler’s Zohan was funny as hell. I think there’s a time and place for big budget movies. Good film making can reside in both the art house and the mall theaters as can total crap. Also, although I love cinema as art, sometimes I just want a good laugh.