What are you listening to right now?

Sleater Kinney - The Center Won’t Hold

I love how angry the indie-rock purists are about this record. Crying “sell out” because there are electronics and the choruses are catchy.

It’s good – you can hear St. Vincent’s fingerprints all over it, but that’s not a bad thing. Fuck the indie-rock purists, I like it a lot. The new direction might be why Janet Weiss up and quit, but I don’t know that for sure (or at all; just conjecture).

1 Like

Yeah, the new Sleater-Kinney is pretty awesome. I wouldn’t say their old lacked catchy choruses though. They have a history of pretty awesome material.

King Crimson- Earthbound
Mr. Bungle- various live & demos
Frank Zappa- Sheik Yerbouti
Rodrigo Y Gabriela- “Echoes” (these guys do a cover of the Floyd classic with nothing but acoustic guitars, no vocals – check it out, it’s amazing)

I was just listening to Sheik Yerbouti last week…and watched Baby Snakes for the millionth time… Nice job,lowelly

1 Like

Continuing my tour of embarrassing mid-90s cyber-culture time capsules with Billy Idol’s “Cyberpunk”. I wonder if Idol’s experiment would’ve been more successful if he’d gotten Bill Leeb to produce it or something.

I love-hate that album. It’s bad but it’s fun. Idol himself was a hilarious caricature during that era. And let’s not forget the computer multimedia stuff that gave people viruses.

Chris Connelly initials CC
Ministry Chicago/Detroit 82
Miles Davis - Live Evil
Crowded House- chicago 91 boot cd

Going through a bit of a wierd mood tbh,
Dad died in November and everyone’s birthdays are clustered in August and September so it’s the first family get togethers/parties without him. On Sunday at my aunts 80th I felt he was just over my shoulder (ministry reference not intentional) so I turned around and of course he wasn’t there.
Don’t have a lot in common with the rest of my family so me and Dad always used be in some corner together being snarky about our hosts music collection or riffing off each other.
Anyway Sunday was hard and I know I have more family occasions coming up which I’m not looking forward to

Someone mentioned Sarah Brightman on this thread, she had a crush on Paul Raven but Raven said “too much ivory” :smile:

Phantom of the Paradise soundtrack
Hedwig and the Angry Inch soundtrack
Suspiria score

Suspiria score… Goblin or Thom Yorke?

Goblin all the way…

The Yorke one isn’t bad, but it’s not the Goblin one, that’s for sure. Totally different animals.

Killing Joke - Night TIme

guys. fuckin’ a. this album is tuned-the fuck-in. i’ve got random stuff of theirs, a CD5 and this CD - and something else i don’t even recall what the hell it is. Yes, i know about raven and flood, i’m just never gone all in. where do i go from here (night time)? ithe CD5 i have i think is pandemonium.

the gentlemen jack daniels i’m sipping is making it even better. highly recommended by the way, fellas (and ladies).

1 Like

Try their second self-titled album (yellow cover with a red skull in the middle, if I remember correctly). Great record. And Dave Grohl helps out on drums!

Yeah, the 2003 one with Grohl is really good. Grohl was killing it as a guest-drummer back then - Killing Joke, NIN, Tenacious D, Queens of the Stone Age, etc.

My personal favorite is Pandemonium, but that’s been out of print for ages and people are charging between $90-300 for the CD on Amazon! Slack, if I can remember, I’ll upload it for you tonight.

2 Likes

Pandemonium is where I got on board the Killing Joke train. I think it was autumn 1993, but I could be wrong… I remember listening to it in my dorm room when I was a wet-behind-the-ears freshman to both college and good music. :grinning:

1 Like

Discogs has it for 2 bucks. although the cd has scratches that don’t effect play…

…OR $9.00 (with shipping) for the “Very Good” cd.

It’s funny how some CDs vary from site to site. I’m also curious as to which version of Pandemonium is offered on discogs, as opposed to Amazon. If I remember correctly, the album was remastered and reissued in certain markets. So maybe one of them (I’d think the original first pressing) is expensive, but the more common one is cheaper…? Am I just farting in the wind here, I dunno.

Portishead - Dummy. It’s the 25th anniversary of the release of Dummy. One of the greatest albums ever recorded. If there were such things as angels and they had a voice, it surely would be that of Beth Gibbons.

1 Like

Alice Cooper - Breadcrumbs

Devendra Banhart - Ma

Chelsea Wolfe - Birth of Violence (full disclosure, I haven’t listened yet, but it’s next on my list)