What are you listening to right now?

Mike & The Melvins - Three Men and a Baby

The ‘lost’ 90s Melvins collaboration with Mike Kunka of Godheadsilo and Dead Low Tide that the latter’s mental health issues prevented from getting finished at the time, but that finally got completed and released two years ago. I don’t hate 2010s Melvins as much as some fans do but I do really miss the dark crunchiness exhibited here that they don’t really go for all that often anymore (and I say that as the only person I know who actually loves Pinkus Abortion Technician) so it’s nice to get some ‘new’ stuff in that vein.

A Place To Bury Strangers

Nitzer Ebb

Mike & The Melvins - Three Men and a Baby

The ‘lost’ 90s Melvins collaboration with Mike Kunka of Godheadsilo and Dead Low Tide that the latter’s mental health issues prevented from getting finished at the time, but that finally got completed and released two years ago. I don’t hate 2010s Melvins as much as some fans do but I do really miss the dark crunchiness exhibited here that they don’t really go for all that often anymore (and I say that as the only person I know who actually loves Pinkus Abortion Technician) so it’s nice to get some ‘new’ stuff in that vein.

I love Pinkus Abortion Technician. I think it’s their best album in years.

Led Zeppelin
Jarboe
Smog

Buzzcocks

Rip Pete Shelley

[reply]Mike & The Melvins - Three Men and a Baby

I love Pinkus Abortion Technician. I think it’s their best album in years.[/reply]

Wasn’t nuts about it at first, but after a few listens now I think it’s probably my favorite thing they’ve put out in the 2010s. A lot of the complaints are that it’s not heavy enough or doesn’t have enough Buzz vocals but that’s kind of a hypocritical thing to complain about for a fanbase that’s so notoriously bad about that smug “my favorite music is weirder/more diverse than yours” attitude. Just like all the bitching about them going that kinda Throbbing Gristle route on the second half of Walk With Love & Death.
Pinkus Abortion Technician is definitely the least-‘metal’ thing they’ve put out in a while but not every goddamned album has to sound the same.

ANYWAY:

Currently listening to Tom Waits’ “Closing Time”. It still weirds me out a little that Waits ever did ‘normal-sounding’ music like this, but this first record is still pretty solid. I like playing stuff from this at the end of the work day as I’m shutting down & locking up in the office.

Currently listening to Tom Waits’ “Closing Time”. It still weirds me out a little that Waits ever did ‘normal-sounding’ music like this, but this first record is still pretty solid. I like playing stuff from this at the end of the work day as I’m shutting down & locking up in the office.

His first three or four albums, before he got too shmaltzy and had to course correct in an extreme way, are probably my favorites.
The songwriting is top notch.

The Best Of Roxy Music
Billy Joel - Songs In The Attic
Mayhem - Grand Declaration Of War
Ice Cube - Everythangs Corrupt

Shriekback - Oil & Gold

The Residents - “The Moles Are Coming”, from Intermission: Extraneous Music from The Residents’ Mole Show.

Hardy Fox’s death has had me going through the Residents’ discography since I was only ever familiar with a handful of specific albums spread out over their lifespan. This EP is a lot of weird synth drones and film score-ish stuff that I am ironically enjoying more than the actual Mark of the Mole record, not that I disliked that or anything.

Original, or the new remaster?

Fleetwood Mac.

I can’t stop listening to Fleetwood Mac.

Seriously.

Someone help.

some murder mystery on cnn… it blows

[reply]Fleetwood Mac.

Seriously.

Someone help.

I went to see a Fleetwood Mac tribute band last night. Nothing wrong with Fleetwood Mac.[/reply]

Indeed. I too have been on a Fleetwood Mac kick, and I’m giving equal attention to all three eras: the English blues band, the popular coke-rock Buckingham Nicks period, and the whatever-the-fuck-you-call it in the middle (Mystery To Me, Penguin, etc). What about you, Rev?

[reply]

Original, or the new remaster?[/reply]

The new remaster. Never heard the original.

[reply][reply]Fleetwood Mac.

Seriously.

Someone help.

I went to see a Fleetwood Mac tribute band last night. Nothing wrong with Fleetwood Mac.[/reply]

Indeed. I too have been on a Fleetwood Mac kick, and I’m giving equal attention to all three eras: the English blues band, the popular coke-rock Buckingham Nicks period, and the whatever-the-fuck-you-call it in the middle (Mystery To Me, Penguin, etc). What about you, Rev?[/reply]

Strictly the popular era. ST through Tango In The Night.

[reply][reply][reply]Fleetwood Mac.

Seriously.

Someone help.

Indeed. I too have been on a Fleetwood Mac kick, and I’m giving equal attention to all three eras: the English blues band, the popular coke-rock Buckingham Nicks period, and the whatever-the-fuck-you-call it in the middle (Mystery To Me, Penguin, etc). What about you, Rev?[/reply]

Strictly the popular era. ST through Tango In The Night.[/reply]

Cool. I’ve had a copy of Tango on some format since junior high school. The solo on the title track is worth the price of admission alone.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, may I suggest Lindsey Buckingham’s 3xCD Solo Anthology. Great overview. I had no idea “Holiday Road” was written by him.

I always get Buckingham’s “National Lampoon’s Vacation” song and Kenny Loggins’ “Caddyshack” song confused.

Fucking Fleetwood Mac sucks. And Stevie Nicks sucks. Hard.

How old are you people?

Seriously?

Fucking Fleetwood Mac sucks. And Stevie Nicks sucks. Hard.

How old are you people?

Seriously?

Old enough to appreciate music on its own merits and to have moved beyond the counter-cultural notions that something is known to “suck,” which are generally due far more to a perceived inverse correlation between quality and popularity than the actual contents of the works themselves.