What are you listening to right now?

Most bands are expensive now. They’re not making any money on CD’s anymore, so they have to generate revenue somehow.

Have you noticed how many bands are doing paid meet & greets now? Didn’t used to be that way either.

Tshirts and merch are crazy expensive too! Hoodies selling for 70 and 80 bucks tshirts 50 and 60 bucks. Sucks!

Well, look, there was bound to be fallout from the record industry collapse. If you didn’t expect prices to rise since everybody started stealing music, then I don’t know what to tell you. It’s simple economics.

Sure, the record companies had plenty shady practices, but there were accounting systems in place. You could audit them.

Good luck doing that with all those Millennials who’ve never paid a dime for music in their lives.

I still see plenty of reasonably priced smaller venue shows but all the bigger tours in theaters and arenas have seen a serious spike in price…inevitable…but sometimes I see some shit that is just outrageously over priced…

And yeah VIP packages are the norm now…

Well, look, there was bound to be fallout from the record industry collapse. If you didn’t expect prices to rise since everybody started stealing music, then I don’t know what to tell you. It’s simple economics.

Sure, the record companies had plenty shady practices, but there were accounting systems in place. You could audit them.

Good luck doing that with all those Millennials who’ve never paid a dime for music in their lives.

I understand all that but is an 80 dollar hoodie really making up the difference? getting to the point where I would think theyre losing money with unsold merch. how much did they spend on the clothes versus how much is left after the tour

OMG this early 80’s Queen track sounds like Revco during the big sexy land era! Would make an interesting track for Revco to cover too.

Queen - Staying Power
https://youtu.be/LRfgNSCokmE

Melvins have a brilliant business model as far as a successful underground band goes. It’s goid for the band, it’s good for fans who don’t want to spend a ton and it’s good for fans who are serious collectors and do want to spend a ton.

I was listening to USLS1 by PiL off of The Public Image is Rotten, I don’t know where this mix came from, it’s not
album version or b-side mix, this take is awesome.

https://youtu.be/xc0EDfVe9RE

Melvins have a brilliant business model as far as a successful underground band goes. It’s goid for the band, it’s good for fans who don’t want to spend a ton and it’s good for fans who are serious collectors and do want to spend a ton.

Speaking of Melvins, I just listened to The Wall Redux, a Pink Floyd tribute by a variety of (mostly doomish) metal bands including The Melvins on a lyrically altered version of “In The Flesh?”.

[reply]Melvins have a brilliant business model as far as a successful underground band goes. It’s goid for the band, it’s good for fans who don’t want to spend a ton and it’s good for fans who are serious collectors and do want to spend a ton.

Speaking of Melvins, I just listened to The Wall Redux, a Pink Floyd tribute by a variety of (mostly doomish) metal bands including The Melvins on a lyrically altered version of “In The Flesh?”.[/reply]

I listened to it too. I thought it was good enough to justify buying it on CD, so I ordered it from my local indie record store.

The Melvins’ decision to alter the lyrics disappointed me. The new lyrics weren’t particularly profound, and it made the song stand out from the others (in a bad way).

Ha, I ordered a copy too (from Amazon, 'cause I was placing a big order anyway).
Have you heard the Best of Pink Floyd Redux featuring some of the same people? I haven’t, but it’s on my list.

More recently listening to:
Chris Connelly - Bloodhounds
The Kingston Trio
Roxette
the Mandy soundtrack

Buck Satan

I was bored.

Magna Carta Cartel-Demon King
Ulver-Shadows of the Sun

Ciccone Youth - The Whitey Album

Ha, I ordered a copy too (from Amazon, 'cause I was placing a big order anyway).
Have you heard the Best of Pink Floyd Redux featuring some of the same people? I haven’t, but it’s on my list.

More recently listening to:
Chris Connelly - Bloodhounds
The Kingston Trio
Roxette
the Mandy soundtrack

Roxette. You’ve passed the test.

No, I haven’t heard any of the other Magnetic Eye Records “redux” albums, and I want to. Probably going to order them off Bandcamp a little at a time. Maybe around Xmas, when I have more cash.

Over the summer, Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson collaborated on a cover of Helter Skelter.
It’s just as pointless as you’re imagining.

They did it on stage (or rather, Manson came out to noncommittally sing a few lines while Zombie and his band did it at the end of the latter’s set) when I saw them together earlier this year. Still better than Manson’s cover of the Lost Boys theme that he did for his own encore. Would have liked the Beatles cover a lot more if they did something different with it. As-is it’s just about the most predictable thing ever and might have been cute and clever if they did it in the mid-90s rather than passive-aggressively ignoring each other at the time, but certainly not now.

Or, what if they’d collaborated on something interesting and not so stupidly obvious?
Like the pseudo-Alice Cooper/KISS satanic song from CHIPS. That would’ve been fun.

Donnie Most would be so proud…

Teenage Fanclub-Bandwagonesque
Afghan Whigs-Congregation
Red House Painters-Old Ramon