TOOL

It’s funny how short lived my interest in anything Maynard related. Granted a year is still a long time when you’re a teen, but Lateralus was the beginning of the end. By the time A Perfect Circle put out 13th Step, I had pretty much lost all interest. Then my interest in Cradle Of Filth began and they had a similar fate, except that phase was 8 months at the most. Then I began to shit on them like a lot of others when I found out they signed to a major label. Point being, bands need to be careful about putting out that one record EVERYONE likes when the most loyal fans won’t give 3 fucks about it.

Maynard’s house looks pretty dope. Funny story (stop me if I’ve told this one already), years ago a friend of my ex’s was going to art school in Chicago at one point, and took the train home to St. Louis one day and struck up a conversation with this dude on the train who ended up getting off the train and tagging along with her when she arrived here. Dude claimed to have been a former member of TKK and said he was on his way out to Maynard’s vineyard for some R&R and to figure out some shit. I was a bit skeptical but I asked a bunch of questions and it sure seemed like he knew his stuff re: Chicago industrial (talk of aborted side projects with members of Die Warzau and TKK). Well, he was apparently broke so my friend bought him dinner, then we were all hanging out and at the end of the night I’m like, “OK, time to go, out of my house please” and he was like “your friend said I could stay here” which was news to everybody including her, so I put my foot down, and he rolled out some sob story about dying of cancer and that’s why he was headed out west to hang out with Maynard. She ended up springing for a hotel room for the guy. I contacted Levi on myspace the next day and he was like “AW HELL NO! If it’s the guy I’m thinking of, kick his ass! IF he doesn’t have the tattoo, he was never in the band! I’m sick and tired of worthless scum trying to live off Thrill Kill Kult’s good name!” Which was amusing to me on several levels, mainly A) TKK members are required to get a band tattoo, and B) apparently scam artists impersonate TKK members on the regular. Seems like a low-yield, low-success grift to me. SMDH.

^Wow. Where do the members get the tattoo? I don’t recall seeing ink on Mimi’s arms either time I’ve seen them.

Think about all the people wandering in and out of Chicago Trax in the late '80s. You probably can’t throw a rock in that town without hitting some 50 year old hanger on who thinks he was a member of TKK or Ministry because he got to touch a guitar while they were recording Tonight We Murder.

Or maybe it was Thomas Thorn.

No, it wasn’t that sort of inflated significance, this guy was straight up claiming to be someone he clearly wasn’t. Claimed he was “Skip Towne” who conveniently appears in just one promo photo I found, and the guy only passingly resembled him.

Maynard’s house:

[image]http://www.tonedeaf.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Maynard2.jpg[/image]

He probably falls asleep every night chanting softly…

“I am Maynard. I am Maynard. I am Maynard…”

with the faintest detection of a smirk on his lips.

I’d have to be on a crapton of mushrooms before Tool sounded interesting to me.

So stick with Bang Tango. And Tesla.

And leave us all in peace.

Meow meow meow.

Or some Danger Danger.

[reply]I’d have to be on a crapton of mushrooms before Tool sounded interesting to me.

And leave us all in peace.[/reply]

First couple of tool releases were mega-meh.

Lateralus >>> all

In latest Tool newsletter over at Toolband, cryptic references / subtle hints are being made about a live cd/dvd type deal being produced by Joe Baressi - as we speak!

Could it be a Salival 2 type deal?? Could this be the “curveball” they’ve been hinting at for the past year or so?

Well, knowing this band it will be 5 or 6 year before we possibly get an answer to that question.

Still…

<speaks in hushed tone>

buddy of mine who runs the Australian chapter of the Tool fan club in Adelaide has secretly told me that the band are “8 or 9 months” away from having a finished new album ready to release. But sssshhhh…you didn’t hear that from me…

I don’t have the care or the lack of other more important shit to be concerned about to pay attention to all the excuses/reasons/conspiracies as to why they haven’t made a new album. If and when they do release something new I just hope it’s something new and not some half-assed “Lateralus Pt.2” like their last album. And I didn’t even like Lateralus that much compared to Aenima.

They need to fuck off and just stop or put something out that isn’t the result of the singer having just read a Crowley book and becoming an instant expert on all things bazaar and occult related or the shitty guitarist trying to cash in on an old EP with his “brilliant art” or whatever.
I like some bands with some shithead frontmen (like that’s hard to come by) but Maynard is insufferable. Of course he has his own wine. Motherfucker couldn’t help but be any more pretentious and boring. Picking grapes and shit. Where’s the hard liquor and blow, you raging faggot? Go do your yoga and meditate on the fact that Puscifer sucks and is about as relevant and creative as Godsmack.

I miss the days when they could just tell their fans to fuck off in songs straightforward rather than doing it by releasing shitty albums and putting on terrible shows. Now their as mediocre and common as a “No Fear” decal and the back window of a lifted truck.

I…agree with Atom

I don’t have the care or the lack of other more important shit to be concerned about to pay attention to all the excuses/reasons/conspiracies as to why they haven’t made a new album. If and when they do release something new I just hope it’s something new and not some half-assed “Lateralus Pt.2” like their last album. And I didn’t even like Lateralus that much compared to Aenima.

They need to fuck off and just stop or put something out that isn’t the result of the singer having just read a Crowley book and becoming an instant expert on all things bazaar and occult related or the shitty guitarist trying to cash in on an old EP with his “brilliant art” or whatever.
I like some bands with some shithead frontmen (like that’s hard to come by) but Maynard is insufferable. Of course he has his own wine. Motherfucker couldn’t help but be any more pretentious and boring. Picking grapes and shit. Where’s the hard liquor and blow, you raging faggot? Go do your yoga and meditate on the fact that Puscifer sucks and is about as relevant and creative as Godsmack.

I miss the days when they could just tell their fans to fuck off in songs straightforward rather than doing it by releasing shitty albums and putting on terrible shows. Now their as mediocre and common as a “No Fear” decal and the back window of a lifted truck.

[image]http://imbapic.com/wp-content/imgdir/main/2012_11/i-had-fun-once.jpg[/image]

Photo of the DAT tapes being shipped off to Joe Baressi in case you think I was lying or just looking for attention:

[image]http://www.toolarmy.com/photoalbums/lightside/keychain2.jpg[/image]

Now…

[reply]I don’t have the care or the lack of other more important shit to be concerned about to pay attention to all the excuses/reasons/conspiracies as to why they haven’t made a new album. If and when they do release something new I just hope it’s something new and not some half-assed “Lateralus Pt.2” like their last album. And I didn’t even like Lateralus that much compared to Aenima.

[image]http://imbapic.com/wp-content/imgdir/main/2012_11/i-had-fun-once.jpg[/image][/reply]

DID YOU NOT READ MY LONG-WINDED RIDICULOUS RANT!?!?!

I DID NOT HAVE FUN!

Also, listened to Aenima on and off quite a bit recently and I still love it. Trying to get back into Lateralus right now. It’s a good album so it’s not difficult. I just have my moments where I love it and then also where I think it’s overrated and pretentious and boring.

Hopefully they either fuck off and just announce that they’re done or release an album where the packaging isn’t more creative and enjoyable than the fucking music.

LITTLE BUDDY

Hopefully they either fuck off and just announce that they’re done or release an album where the packaging isn’t more creative and enjoyable than the fucking music.

Sadly, I am now given in to the fact that this is never going to happen.

As the packaging gets more and more elaborate the music becomes more and more incidental.

There’s no way known this new album (which is definitely going to happen) can live up to expectations. It has simply been too long in the making.

I’m more excited about the prospect of a new Melvins / Butthole Surfers album:

http://www.buddyhead.com/2014/08/14/melvins/

The only expectations I have for a new TOOL album is for it to suck ass and bore me to the point that I end up forcing myself into finishing the fucking thing on some random Tuesday night while on a bender… if a new album ever even happens, that is.

I expect nothing less than boring shite. But if they put out an album maybe in a black cardboard slip case with no pretty pictures, no secret bullshit, just black cardboard and TOOL in white text, and (most importantly) music with some balls again, I’d be stoked. I’d buy the cd and vinyl even! No gimmicks just real shit, yo.

http://www.spin.com/articles/primus-tool-aenema-cover-danny-carey-video/