TOOL

Their first two are hit and miss. Ænima is really the only album I like of theirs anymore. I haven’t listened Lateralus in forever but it’s decent. 10,000 Days is crap.

I won’t go as far as to call 10,000 Days crap. But it was disappointing. It has some great songs. But, overall, the album feels lacking.

I think the problem with 10,000 Days lies entirely with the sequencing. If you arrange it so that the epic (and boring) tribute to his mother is near the end, and move Right In Two closer to the beginning, it sounds a lot more… cohesive, I wanna say? As it stands, though, the album runs out of steam about halfway through, and the back half is just background noise.

The sequencing probably does have a lot to do with it. It starts off ok (Vicarious strikes me as a leftover Lateralus track), gets better with Jambi (amazing), slows down and loses momentum until Rosetta Stoned (also awesome. My favorite track of the album). A bunch of filler tracks. Right in Two helps pick up the momentum until it dies down again and eventually just ends.

Wings for Marie/10,000 Days might have done much better towards the later half of the album. To me, it’s boring and feels out of place. I get that he wanted to do a song for his mother, but it totally ruined the pacing.

I think the fact that it’s boring and doesn’t stand out as it’s own unique thing like the previous albums have (aside from it being fucking boring) is the problem.

It’s a half-assed Lateralus. Some songs sound so blatantly similar to those on Lateralus that it pissed me off. Sure, Lateralus is a pretty good album but make something fucking different.

Ænima and Lateralus are very different from one another but despite that I still enjoyed the latter (not as much as Ænima but I still really fucking liked it at the time).

I don’t want the same fucking album they released before. I could just listen to that one instead. I expected something new and different. They did not tread any new ground with 10,000 Days and it’s a snore-fest. Oh yay, it has some stereoscopic-whatever-the-fuck goggles built into the packaging. That’s cool and all but I actually bought it for the music. The music felt like it came second to the packaging and artwork.

Lateralus and 10,000 Days sound nothing like each other. Except maybe for Vicarious which does indeed sound like it was left on the cutting room floor back in 2000.

But 10,000 has much beefier production and sounds way more like a progged up metal version of Pink Floyd’s Echoes or The Doors’ LA Woman to me. And at times, Maynard’s APC starts to creep in here and there.

Lateralus is an entirely different beast.

Personally, I love 10,000 Days but I can definitely see arguments against it. There was no need to strect out the title track to a whopping 17 minutes. It destroys the flow of the album…just when it was getting started.

Lateralus and 10,000 Days sound nothing like each other. Except maybe for Vicarious which does indeed sound like it was left on the cutting room floor back in 2000.

Bullshit. Totally disagree. The last couple instrumental tracks (I don’t recall their names) sound exactly like the ones from Lateralus except they’re shittier and about thirty times more boring. And the production doesn’t sound any “beefier” to me.

Comparing 10,000 Days to Pink Floyd or the Doors is how you get stoned in my country. Not high but literally how you get rocks thrown at you until you die because it’s fucking blasphemy.

Ouch.

I think they’re very similar to one another. 10,000 Days is a little rougher than Lateralus though. Some heavier, more straight-forward songs. But aside from that, i’d say they’re similar. Kinda curious what the album would sound like if I moved the wings for marie songs elsewhere. But somewhere that won’t ruin the rest of the album. I think either the end or the beginning.

You guys know there is a giant Easter egg on 10,000 Days, right? I know I’ve mentioned it before.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18896_10-mind-blowing-easter-eggs-hidden-in-famous-albums.html

Not a big Tool fan, but that’s kinda cool.

Wonder how they found that. Sounds pretty cool. Just lost to how they figured to throw in viginti tres of all tracks. Shits and giggles I guess. I did hear there was a puzzle with the glasses and the artwork though. I didn’t figure it out though.

Meh…

Remember how fucking ridiculous people were when the album leaked? They were claiming that it wasn’t the real album and that it was a decoy. That the real album would be released on the day it actually drops. Man, were they bummed when they found out it was the same album.

So, it doesn’t surprise me that these same sort of people decided to throw songs on top of each other in search for something “hidden”.

haha i actually do remember that hoax that 10k days was a fake album

Well… To be fair. They did put out a hoax track listing before Lateralus came.out. fake name and song titles. So some people probably genuinely believed that 10,000 Days had to have been a hoax too. Nope, not this time.

Well… To be fair. They did put out a hoax track listing before Lateralus came.out. fake name and song titles. So some people probably genuinely believed that 10,000 Days had to have been a hoax too. Nope, not this time.

Ha, yeah but it seems kinda ridiculous that a band would put that kind of work into a fake album. Especially since it wouldn’t even work out considering how most albums leak anyway.

I think it showed more how disappointed people were with the album than anything else really.

That’s denial, heh. So now if an album sucks, it must be a joke. Oh, Jourgensen…

That’s denial, heh. So now if an album sucks, it must be a joke. Oh, Jourgensen…

Yeah, a bit of both really. Denial that a band could make something that they’re disappointed in.

Made specifically for use on Tool’s new album, by cEvin Key of Skinny Puppy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du-F9xtL5Hw

Pretty insane synth! Can’;t wait to hear what they’ve done with it.

It’s actually put together by Plan B (Peter Grenader) two of the units though are the Subconscious reissues of 2 Plan B modules - one of which is the last one available (they’re the ones that have the drippy black design on them top left and top almost right side) with the help of:

Chas Smith built the case iirc
Joshua Holley of Malekko Heavy Machinery
CEvin Key of Subconscious Communications
Tony and Kelly at Make Noise
Danjel van Tijn of Intellijel Designs Inc.
Shawn Cleary of Analog Haven

I don’t really care but some of you do:

http://loudwire.com/tool-lawsuit-stalling-creation-new-album/