TOOL

Anyway, back on track…

If I had to pick 5 bands that defined what I love most about music (which I guess is another, more douchey way of saying My 5 Favorite Bands Are…) I’d go for:

Swans
Einsturzende Neubauten
Melvins
Tool
Isis
King Crimson

(closely followed by Velvet Underground, Faith No More/Mr Bungle/Fantomas, Black Flag/Rollins Band, Napalm Death, Godflesh and The Fall)

So I guess Tool are something pretty special. Glad somebody started a serious topic on Tool here, as they generally get shat on like there’s no tomorrow. If you want to flame, I guess, then go on. But really, there’s no point in starting another bitch fight over them - simply agree to the fact that their image/sound/fan base is devisive in the extreme and move along.

I bought the Opiate re-issue and count myself as one of a number of internet fan boys salivating at the thought of finally getting the chance to hear some new Tool music next year. It bugs me that these guys seemingly take forever to put out, well, anything at all. But the end product imho more than justifies the long periods of silence.

Love the Buzzo pic too, btw.

I bought the box set of Ghosts I-IV (not the signed one, the regular one) because at the time I thought that was going to be the only CD release of it.

Whoops.

To charge $150 for cd that should cost $20 max just because it is signed is disgusting to me. I knew Maynard was a douche and has flat out said in interviews that he has no real respect for his fans but i guess i expected more from the other 3 guys. but as stated nobody is forcing people to buy it which is why i didn’t and can’t really bitch too much. but after things like this and the fact that they go on tour and play the same 12 songs over and over again for the past 10 years has me wondering why anyone cares about this band anymore until they at least put out something new and interesting which they are more than capable of.

For those still looking for it you can get a copy of Coil’s CSO for around $500 on ebay more often than not. I’m sure the one with the signed certificate runs higher. The Gold is the Metal box is the one I’d love and but goes for around 1000-1500.

But the Swans never really raped their fans that i am aware of (could be forgetting something). Gira puts out handmade cds and charges around $20 for them or maybe $30 for a cd+dvd. Anything he’s ever charged more than that for tends to have personalized artwork or drawings hand done by him which is what you are paying for. Or he offers people the opportunity to pay for production credits on the cd. But i’d rather give my money to someone like him to create great new music, than for a signed cd i already have to further line the pockets of multimillionaires. but again that’s just my choice.

The Ghosts set was insanely pricey, but still had more than cd in new packaging and no real extras. The NIN set came with a lot more (I bought the standard version). Could’ve sold for less, but considering the cost of production, I would’ve charged 150 for those “super deluxe” versions.

Personally, I don’t see any real worth to those “deluxe” editions. I can see some people buying the Ghosts set for even the In Rainbows set, which a few friends of mine bought (think that was 150, also, which came with two cds, vinyls, and a book. Maybe other things) and enjoy it. I think they’re rip offs, but whatever.

Those at least came with something to almost justify the cost. For Opiate, some people bought three copies of it, and all they really got was the same thing from 92, but new artwork. That’s it. At least give them a vinyl along with it. Something. Anything.

This is the VIP package they’re offering for theirs Aussie shows. Note: It’s 500 bucks and you still need to buy a ticket…

VIP PACKAGE
FOR DEDICATED FANS!
On sale to public Fri 12 Apr, 9am (local time)

Adding to the sheer power and force of a live performance that Tool ticketholders have to look forward to, those who purchase a VIP package will also receive:

- Access to sound-check with members of Tool
- Q+A session with Adam
- Exclusive merchandise pack including:
1. An exclusive Tool tour t-shirt
2. Poster
3. VIP laminate
4. Bag of goodies
(These items feature designs exclusive to the VIP package and are not available for purchase anywhere else)
- Early entry to the Floor (for GA ticket holders only)

*NOTE: the VIP package does NOT include an event ticket. Please ensure you have purchased your event ticket prior to purchasing your VIP package.

Packages go on sale from 9am local time, Friday 12 April and will retail for $504 + ticketing agency transaction fees.

And another thing that bothers me with this and the Opiate “reissue”. Where’s this money going exactly? Towards a new Tool release? Hah!

I used to be a big Maynard fan. Over the years, Opiate has become my favorite album because they’re not trying too hard on it. But I would never fork out that kind of cash for it. Tool and A Perfect Circle are pretty much middle school bands now.

Btw Peligro, I could’ve made a better mix than the one you made.

Difference between the NIN release and this TOOL shit is that the NIN release was NEW music and had multiple options. You didn’t have to pay $150 for new music. With this TOOL release you pay over $150 for the same fucking album.

^

WE KNO DAT ALREADY DAWG!! NIN NEW/ TOOL OLD!!

Difference between the NIN release and this TOOL shit is that the NIN release was NEW music and had multiple options. You didn’t have to pay $150 for new music. With this TOOL release you pay over $150 for the same fucking album.

Why would you get upset over something you don’t have to buy…?

[reply]Difference between the NIN release and this TOOL shit is that the NIN release was NEW music and had multiple options. You didn’t have to pay $150 for new music. With this TOOL release you pay over $150 for the same fucking album.

Why would you get upset over something you don’t have to buy…?[/reply]

I can’t speak for others, but I consider it more of a shock that they can get away charging such ridiculous prices for a cd, and a “VIP” package. There’s some people that bought three copies (which was the limit). Far from upset. Just amazed how some people have such a disposable income like that, for a cd.

It wasn’t a mandatory purchase, no. But I can’t help but cringe a bit when I see that people paid that much for so little. That’s my gripe about the whole thing.

^ Pretty much.

I know that I don’t have to buy it. It’s just kind of a bummer when I see bands I used to like do something like this. And when I see all these people buying it I worry that it sends the message to the band, as well as other artists, that this is a reasonable way to treat their fans and sell their “art”/product.

But if you’ve got the money then whatever, I guess. I know it’s stupid of me to be pissy about how other people spend their money. In fact, it’s none of my fucking business. But like I said, it’s kind of a bummer when a band you used to respect pulls something like this.

I like the prog tool. But Aenima is still going to be my favorite. Opiate and Undertow, which are good, are probably towards the bottom of the list. I don’t have a single gripe about them either. Just, for me, the albums from 96-current had a lot more to say and had more going on. Aenima is a headfuck to listen to, which is probably why I love it. Amazing songs surrounded by a bunch of insanity.

Lateralus had A LOT going on in those songs. Easily in the top two of my list.

I like the prog tool. But Aenima is still going to be my favorite. Opiate and Undertow, which are good, are probably towards the bottom of the list. I don’t have a single gripe about them either. Just, for me, the albums from 96-current had a lot more to say and had more going on. Aenima is a headfuck to listen to, which is probably why I love it. Amazing songs surrounded by a bunch of insanity.

Lateralus had A LOT going on in those songs. Easily in the top two of my list.

My thoughts exactly. I like all of it, but Aenima and Lateralus are definitely their best. I rarely listen to Tool, but those two albums are the ones I spin when I do.

Think I sold all my Tool records aside from 10,000 Days. That one’s a monster, and the only one that I can pretty much leave on all day and not mind at all.

I’m stoked that the new one’s on it’s way eventually, but a redundant collector’s edition like this is kind of a wack-ass kickstarter for it.

Looks badass, though.

I think they peaked with Lateralus. I’d like to be proven wrong (and I honestly hope I am) but I doubt that we will ever see that band reach those lofty heights again.

I think the reason this release is so long delayed (now seven years and counting…) is that they have burnt out and the ideas just aren’t there any more.

Also, it must be difficult to maintain a desire to inspire as a band, when your frontman is such a cock…

[image]http://grungereport.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/maynardtoilet.jpg[/image]

What is it with musicians getting theit picure taken while on the can? Zappa, Manson, Maynard, Billy Preston…

Did you know that the guy who invented the toilet was the first one to test it just like the guy who invented that flaming bull thing?

True. The toilet pic is a really worn out cliche (there’s a million others that did it too).

And . . . Uggh! Maynard is a disgusting hairy beast. Those creepy sasquatch legs are really freaking me out. Why can’t bald men be consistent and match their bodies with their heads?

I prefer the first two records, when they were a metal band.
Yeah, I’m a weirdo that way.

i really like their drummer and the bass player has nice shit goin’ on too. the sound, the fx, and the riffs… guitars not so much and most of the songs are just drop d riffing on a non4/4 time signature. used to like Tool alot, but kinda forgot about them after Lateralus. 10k days was ok but nothing new basically. as someone above said it feels to me they peaked on lateralus as well.

I prefer the first two records, when they were a metal band.
Yeah, I’m a weirdo that way.

Yeah, that’s pretty weird to think of Tool as a Metal band. Why don’t you listen to Death’s first two albums and then get back to me on if Tool is a Metal band. smh

I’ve never really considered them “metal”. They borderline it numerous times, especially the earlier stuff. I think they’re about as metal as King Crimson.