the legendary album covers thread

Nice call on the Axiom Dub cover,Tomasz…I have a giant promo poster of that one that I framed…when I worked with Wordsound I was able to get my hands on some rare Axiom and Subharmonic posters…still have them all in great shape…also still have some original prints from James Kohenline as well(the guy who did a lot of the Axiom covers…)they are trippy as balls…I have a couple that he did for the Praxis records and a couple of just weird psychedelic art…

Born Again era Sabbath was the main inspiration for Spinal Tap, from the awful (yet wonderful) album cover to the cheeseball lyrics to the Stonehenge incident.
That’s all you need to know about it.

Nah,it’s a great heavy album…

‘Digital Bitch’ is a nice dig at Sharon…

Nice call on the Axiom Dub cover,Tomasz…I have a giant promo poster of that one that I framed…when I worked with Wordsound I was able to get my hands on some rare Axiom and Subharmonic posters…still have them all in great shape…also still have some original prints from James Kohenline as well(the guy who did a lot of the Axiom covers…)they are trippy as balls…I have a couple that he did for the Praxis records and a couple of just weird psychedelic art…

I can’t remember if that’s the same artist who did book covers for Axiom house philosopher Hakim Bey (‘TAZ,’ ‘Immediatism’, etc.) but have always been a fan of his art - having dabbled with collaging both pre- and post-digitally, it’s really not as easy to do as the finished products make it out to be.

Praxis ‘Mutatis Mutandis’ had a similar look to it; also love the covers for ‘Sacrifist’ and ‘Metatron’ - fits the mental overload effect of the music quite well.

[reply]Nice call on the Axiom Dub cover,Tomasz…I have a giant promo poster of that one that I framed…when I worked with Wordsound I was able to get my hands on some rare Axiom and Subharmonic posters…still have them all in great shape…also still have some original prints from James Kohenline as well(the guy who did a lot of the Axiom covers…)they are trippy as balls…I have a couple that he did for the Praxis records and a couple of just weird psychedelic art…

I can’t remember if that’s the same artist who did book covers for Axiom house philosopher Hakim Bey (‘TAZ,’ ‘Immediatism’, etc.) but have always been a fan of his art - having dabbled with collaging both pre- and post-digitally, it’s really not as easy to do as the finished products make it out to be.

Praxis ‘Mutatis Mutandis’ had a similar look to it; also love the covers for ‘Sacrifist’ and ‘Metatron’ - fits the mental overload effect of the music quite well.[/reply]

Yeah,I have an original print of the Praxis Transmutation art that I got from him directly…interesting guy…and yes he is the same artist who did the Hakim Bey stuff…he does incredible artwork…I know he has a website but I haven’t looked at it for quite some time…

and don’t forget the cover of Praxis-Profanation…that is pure eye candy…

Speaking of collages / mash-ups, someone really needs to get on making a “Born Again” album cover that combines ALL the artwork done for the people who have used that as a title…

…just imagine, Notorious B.I.G., Warrant, Pat Boone, Black Sabbath, the Newsboys and probably many others all in the same visual space.

Speaking of collages / mash-ups, someone really needs to get on making a “Born Again” album cover that combines ALL the artwork done for the people who have used that as a title…

…just imagine, Notorious B.I.G., Warrant, Pat Boone, Black Sabbath, the Newsboys and probably many others all in the same visual space.

Dwarves and :wumpscut: also…

I wonder where the other guys who played on that album are now?

Burger King?

I already posted Wrecked, but it’s so good it had to be posted twice. But are you serious on Skold Vs KMFDM?

By the way, I wouldn’t call Staring At The Sea “legendary.”

I already posted Wrecked, but it’s so good it had to be posted twice. But are you serious on Skold Vs KMFDM?

This isn’t my party of course, but since I cobbled together the thread title, I should just clarify that it’s kind of a hyperbole, i.e. like how people use the term “epic” for anything that just makes a positive impression on them. I could have just called it Cool Albums Thread, but I have a flair for the pointlessly dramatic.

Re: Staring at the Sea - I sort of inherited a copy of that one from my brother, along with some legitimately great stuff (Skinny Puppy etc.) after he failed to win over the local New Wave princess with his music taste. I kept wondering which member of the band the guy on the cover was supposed to be, and thought it just awesome that this old fisherman guy was jamming on these angst-ridden tracks like “A Forest.”

I missed Wrecked but I think the KMFDM cover represents a moment in time.

Re: Staring at the Sea - I sort of inherited a copy of that one from my brother, along with some legitimately great stuff (Skinny Puppy etc.) after he failed to win over the local New Wave princess with his music taste. I kept wondering which member of the band the guy on the cover was supposed to be, and thought it just awesome that this old fisherman guy was jamming on these angst-ridden tracks like “A Forest.”

I have the collection myself and it’s a fine starter kit for the band. I think we’ve mostly been talking about the covers themselves and not the music itself for the most part. I buy/inherit vinyl and cd’s for the music. If the front cover is good, I consider it a bonus.

As far as why I posted the Staring at the Sea cover… when people see that old man’s face they know what it is. I figured that was what the thread was about… you see the art and you know the album or group instantly.

That’s a pretty good criterion for posting, I reckon.

As to your other question though, I’m primarily interested in seeing what cover art other Prongers chose regardless of the music - since there are terrific artworks hiding terrible music and ones that completely mesh with that musical content. I’d focus on either one of the two, but that would exclude too much interesting material.

I’m not even much of a Stones or Beatles fan (I own zero albums, actually) but whatever this undefinable “legendary” criteria is, I think these fit . . .

I’ll see your “Born to Add” and raise you one . . .

1 Like

[reply]

Burger King?[/reply]

Apparently. None of them has put out a record in at least 5 years. Chuck Biscuits vanished so completely that he was rumored to be dead. It’s interesting that nobody hired John Christ, at least. Maybe he’ll be on Al’s new tour.

[reply][reply]

Burger King?[/reply]

Apparently. None of them has put out a record in at least 5 years. Chuck Biscuits vanished so completely that he was rumored to be dead. It’s interesting that nobody hired John Christ, at least. Maybe he’ll be on Al’s new tour.[/reply]
Eerie von had a pretty successful solo career and most recently put out a full on country album. Yeah i agree about john christ i thought for sure he’d end up in another band. I know he tried to do the solo thing but ended up going nowhere. Im sure he’s living off of his royalty checks. Biscuits is rumored to be in Seattle but i haven’t heard of him doing anything since he toured with social d in the late 90’s