Return of Barker (so to speak)

Good to see Barker back in action. Anyone know who this band ‘Stayte’ are?

Never heard of them before…

OH MAAAAAAN…
‘THE PRICE IS RIGHT’ WAS MY FAVOURITE SHOW FOR MONTHS ON END…

I actually had heard of them before this. They had a pretty cool song on some sampler disc I got a couple years ago, so I tracked down their first album. I really like about half their stuff and hate the rest. For some of their better output, check out the song “Slip Your Mind” on their myspace page - http://www.myspace.com/stayte

Barker should be more focused on getting all the unreleased Lead Into Gold out asap. What happened to that tiger person that used to troll this board and claimed to know Barker and had access to him?

I am Low and Slow

WAaaaaaah! I wanna hear new Barker stuff nooowwww.

Anywhooooo, Stayte is alright. Their songs are pretty hit or miss, you can tell if its going to be a lame song right away, thats a plus in the sense that its easier to skip through stuff.

I hope Mr.Barker has a noticeable amount of input in the new Tool album, like maybe work the electronicy stuff or do a remix or produce a track or two, thatd be freaking radtastic. Wasnt he supposed to do the soundtrack to a movie or something? Heard that awhile ago, thatd be nice to hear any news about Paul, hes been very mysterious in the music biz for awhile, time for him to step back into the music realm for another good run of kickass material, either on his own like solo stuff or Lead Into Gold, or collaborating with other music acts (which would be awesome, its always badass hearing him doing stuff with other bands like producing MLWTTKK, Dessau, & Gwar stuff)

Did Dessau release anything else besides the self-titled disc?

Yep.

Red Languages - the first 12" from 85. Pretty tough to find, and never rereleased.

Excersise In Tension - The first full album off Carlyle records here in Nashville. Good stuff.

Details Sketchy - The 1995 album off Fifth Column Records. This one was publicised like Pigface. It came with a sticker proclaiming “Members of NIN, Ministry, etc”. A case of too many cooks. It comes off more like a remix album than an actual release.

Self-Titled - A compilation album of sorts released to try and capitalize on the publicity of the Details Sketchy release. It consists of most of the old 12"s (Happy Mood, Isolation, etc) and material from an unreleased album John recorded with Paul Barker back in 1990.

There’s also supposedly a remix album coming in 06. www.myspace.com/dessau

All great stuff.

had the pleasure (again) of running into Paul Barker at the Robyn Hitchcock show in Los Angeles the other night (Rieflin is playing drums with him)…asked him a couple questions…:

1. no time table update on the release of N.Y.E’s Pink Anvil record…no real reason on why it isn’t out yet
  2. doesn’t know anything about a LORAH remaster/rerelease. He doesn’t really see the point, viewing it as a period piece, and is over living in the past.

He really seems content/happy with what he’s up to these days and was quite the gentleman (as usual).

1. doesn’t know anything about a LORAH remaster/rerelease. He doesn’t really see the point, viewing it as a period piece, and is over living in the past.

Haha, agreed! I dont know why everyone wants it re-mastered, whats wrong with it?

the point is that some can’t find a copy. it’s been long out of print, especially in the u.s., so now if you see a new looking copy, it’s either made in france or germany. which is not a problem but people report difficulties in stumbling on these.

the other point is to get some unreleased remixes/tracks/demos from that era. but considering the ryko “remasters” it’s too much to wish for of course. no big booklets with lots of photos from these times, etc.

the main problem is that warner still owns everything post-twelve inch singles up to dark side of the spoon and as mrs. jay stated, this is a big issue. that also means no to “in case” and “goddamned son of a bitch” dvd releases.

here in russia, land of rape and honey was one of the latest albums i bought as a legit cd release, found it on accident; even getting both versions of “with sympathy” was a little easier.

besides, if they would “remaster” it, they would probably squeeze the dynamic range, maximize the volume and add 200% more treble to follow the latest al “tinnitus” jourgensen trend. well, maybe they won’t, but ryko rereleases were not that great either.

as for barker, yep, he seems to be distant from ministry stuff now more than ever; i also heard that he doesn’t really like psalm 69 and spoon from the interviews, so he would have the least interest in rereleases/remasters.

what i’m waiting for is his solo more song-driven album (not like pink anvil/lead into gold) and to which he said “yes, definately”.

1. no time table update on the release of N.Y.E’s Pink Anvil record…no real reason on why it isn’t out yet.

That sucks I am really looking forward to getting my hands on this release. He needs to get moving on this!

the main problem is that warner still owns everything post-twelve inch singles up to dark side of the spoon and as mrs. jay stated, this is a big issue. that also means no to “in case” and “goddamned son of a bitch” dvd releases.

Warner has rights to the Wax Trax releases, too? I thought Al kept the side projects separate on Wax Trax so he could have full control of that material. Or was part of his deal with Warner that he sign over anything he put his hands on?

hm, you’re right about revco/sideprojects, as he mostly rereleased them all on side trax and revco rereleases. well, warner still owning of minstry stuff is true though.

Good to see Barker back in action. Anyone know who this band ‘Stayte’ are?

It’s Josh’s band. Josh was the Lead singer for revco this tour. Pretty cool guy very down to earth.
as far as the band goes they remind me of Stabbing Westard. I agree with Orbasm you can tell right away if the song is going to suck or not. I have the “Abandon In The Amber CD- bought it at the tour”
Late,
grmpysmrf

1. doesn’t know anything about a LORAH remaster/rerelease. He doesn’t really see the point, viewing it as a period piece, and is over living in the past.

I really hate when musicians have that attitude.
Hey Paul, I know you think U.S.S.A. is the best music you’ve ever made. Down in El Paso, Al is sitting in a studio thinking “The Last Sucker” is the best music he’s ever made. Somewhere Paul McCartney is writing a song about splitting with Heather Mills, and he thinks it’s the best music he’s ever made.
And you’re all wrong.
Every mountain’s got a peak, and it’s ok to be on the other side of it. Just try not to fool yourself into thinking the best is still yet to come.

But why would Paul care about re-releasing an album almost 20 years old of an existing band he’s not even in anymore? I’d say leave that up to Al as he is the band now.

It’s not so much the re-release thing that bugs me, it’s that he doesn’t seem to realize the value or quality of that material.
Al is the same way.

I really hate when musicians have that attitude.
Hey Paul, I know you think U.S.S.A. is the best music you’ve ever made. Down in El Paso, Al is sitting in a studio thinking “The Last Sucker” is the best music he’s ever made. Somewhere Paul McCartney is writing a song about splitting with Heather Mills, and he thinks it’s the best music he’s ever made.
And you’re all wrong.
Every mountain’s got a peak, and it’s ok to be on the other side of it. Just try not to fool yourself into thinking the best is still yet to come.

Great post. That couldn’t be more true.