Paul D'Amour of Tool joins Ministry

I thought this was a Facebook group shitpost or something, but apparently it’s for real.

To save you clicks, he’s on the upcoming tour and according to Al has also recorded stuff for the next album. Huh. That’s not a combination I would have pictured.

That’s pretty cool. Hopefully Al let’s him bring some flavor to his playing. There’s been so many names in the lineup since the mid 2000s and I honestly can’t tell any difference between the performances over the years.

^ Agreed with Realmdemagic. I just roll my eyes every time they announce a new drummer or bass player and wonder why they even make such announcements. 95% of the time they’re replaced a week later anyway. The band always sounds good on record and live, so I don’t really care, but I’m thinking they should quit the silly dramatics of their Etch-a-Sketch roster and just put them all in masks or hoods like the “faceless ghouls” or whatever the players in GHOST are referred to.

Yeah, I think we should set up a pool and bet on how long he lasts.

I don’t want to waste time getting attached. I’m just gonna go ahead and post his pic up at the Hall of Montys now for efficiency.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Trying to make sense of the “personnel” portion will make your head spin. They did get Mandi Martyr listed, though. Oh, and it’s already updated with this Tool guy too.

The distinction between actual and ‘additional/touring’ members seems so arbitrary. Like, Casey Orr and John Monte played on albums and were credited as band members - even Rieflin and Washam never got member credits.

I do think it’s funny that he picked yet another “Paul”. You think he does that on purpose to tweak Original Paul?

LosTicka – took me a while to even figure out what the fuck I was looking at. Additional/Touring is kinda misleading too. There are tons of fuckheads who were in the band for 10 minutes or less, hahaha. I don’t know why Mandi even got listed. She played like 1 practice session and then had to surrender her bass before she even got on stage (where she was kicked down to background vocals on like 2 songs). They called Tony Campos in for relief again.

It really is hard to keep track. But there are the ones that’s I’ll never forget, just because of how awesome they played

Stevo-drums
Paul Barker-bass/keys
Roberts-Keys
Refilin-drums/keys
Scaccia-Guitar
Chris Connelly-Vocals/Keys

If he’s not part of the writing team I don’t really care.

Agreed. He was good in Tool – both technically and creatively – but not good enough to matter in Ministry unless he puts pen to paper.

I find Justin Chancellor to be a much better bassist, IMHO.

When I saw Tool at Roseland NYC in 1994, Paul came out in a full-on Star Trek: TNG uniform. That was cool.

Makes sense that Ministry hired a new bassist this year, since Tony is busy with the Static-X world tour from June to December of 2019. I imagine Static-X won’t continue activity after that, though, so who knows if his absence from Ministry is permanent.

I’m betting he’ll be back eventually, and this is just like when Casey Orr took over for him for a little while when he was in Prong.

Am confused as, according to his wikipedia page:

According to Danny Carey, D’Amour left the band because he wanted to play guitar rather than bass.[5] After his departure from the band, he formed the psychedelic pop band Lusk with Brad Laner, Chris Pitman, future member of Guns N’ Roses, and Greg Edwards of Failure and Autolux. In 1997, they released their only album, entitled Free Mars .[6]

New music to check out for me, but also… must be more to the story of why he left Tool then considering…

I can almost guarantee that Tony will be back again.
He’s in Ministry according to his availability (and when there’s no other options available for him, hahaha). He’s been in and out for over 10 years now.

That Lusk album kicks ass!

The only touring member that I thought made much of a difference in the last 15 years was Roy Mayorga. There was a significant difference when he was behind the kit. I really wish they’d revisit him being in the fold.

D’Amour also wrote and performed as Feersum Endjinn. The album is/was on Amazon.com for digital download. It’s not bad.

https://www.facebook.com/paul.damour.14?tn=%2CdC-R-R&eid=ARCCnwQc_9vjjIc16IV_lslDDiP98e3cS5GTu99RnGLucOr5X4y-CmfxFWkR6l2w0drAm0bhPc8hHXrY&hc_ref=ARRyFOdYtn676d6NS3kaLvbdWzdWxTyNOh2-eQTeY7-PK2QtLAylBIP0YVERQa_-Ask&fref=nf

Might interest you.