Misfits/Samhain/Danzig

I actually quite like Project 1950. It’s certainly not the best vocal showcase, but the album works overall. I’d always felt that the Misfits had a real retro style Sha-Na-Na type of 50’s greaser vibe to 'em so the covers album of old rock and roll classics was just great. And a lot of those originals that they covered were already favorites of mine so it was a fun album. I actually got a copy of that from a friend of mine about 10 years ago and I’ve still never owned any other post-Glenn material. I think I’ll pick up this “Devil’s Rain” album, though. It’s actually still hard for me to really connect with that Michale Graves kid. It just doesn’t sound right to me. Good voice but it just doesn’t have enough testosterone or something.

Did you ever give Famous Monsters a try? I like that album tremendously better than American Psycho. Famous Monsters all feels likes 50’s do whop music, it’s great. I like Graves on that misfits album.

I don’t know which I’ve heard. I’ll try giving it a proper chance. I think you know where I’m coming from on this stuff so I’ll take your suggestions and give it a spin.

Famous Monsters is definitely a fun record. Probably works the best if you start at track one and listen all the way through but a couple stand outs are these (I think I dig every song on here)

Start with Helena
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHVrkuf2uO8

Saturday Night (very do whop feel)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82oSu6gIvms

Descending Angel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJpaqOFjJME

I like “Descending Angel” a lot.
But, as I heard it first sung by Jerry it’s actually kind of hard for me to like the Graves version as much. I do like it, though.

And “Crying on a Saturday Night” is an obvious crowd favorite. That seems to be their “big hit” that everyone wanted to hear.

Helena is easily my favorite on the famous monsters disc. I like the riff, I like his lyrics. I like that fucked up movie that his lyrics are based on. It’s just great.

I like “Descending Angel” a lot.
But, as I heard it first sung by Jerry it’s actually kind of hard for me to like the Graves version as much. I do like it, though.

Understandable. I think Graves’ voice is very “romantic” (for lack of a better word)On the monsters disc. I could totally see him fronting a band at a 1950’s High School prom. As far as Jerry is concerned, I don’t carry around all that hate and aggression that the purists do Although if I was stronger and not out of shape I’d chin check that fucker for whoring out the crimson ghost on literally EVERYTHING. aside from that, I think the Devil’s rain song is easily my favorite Jerry cut.

And “Crying on a Saturday Night” is an obvious crowd favorite. That seems to be their “big hit” that everyone wanted to hear.

I had no idea. Doesn’t surprise me, though. It’s just a solid track. I will confess the opening lyrics bug the shit out of me… 52 ways to murder anyone one and two are the same… so fucking stupid but the rest of the song makes up for it.

I was listening to (on YouTube) the Devil’s Rain album this weekend. I do like it.

I will confess the opening lyrics bug the shit out of me… 52 ways to murder anyone one and two are the same… so fucking stupid but the rest of the song makes up for it.

HAHAHA!!! That one left me scratching my head too.
If you were gonna make a list of 52 of something, you think you wouldn’t have to do repeats until you got down near the upper 40’s at least. Nope. 1 and 2 are the same. What dumbass made this list anyway?

I never actually listened closely to the lyrics to Saturday Night.
For some reason I thought Graves wrote it about his dog.

I never actually listened closely to the lyrics to Saturday Night.
For some reason I thought Graves wrote it about his dog.

No, No you’re thinking about Axl and Used to Love Her.

Misfits reforming for 2 shows, i wonder if it’ll go on longer than that?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/glenn-danzig-misfits-to-reunite-for-first-time-in-33-years-20160512

Hopefully. I’d like to see that.

But I’m not going to either of those RiotFests.

I think (based solely on my speculation) are going to proceed a bit cautiously to first see if they can get through a rehearsal or two without having to punch each other after an extended pose-off.

Samhain was launched at Riotfest and extended to its own your too, but this is the original MISFITS which they can sell shitloads of tickets for and actually make some solid coin.

I hope they get through this fest and enjoy the taste of money even more than they enjoy the taste of their seething grudges and bitter resentment.

Doyle deserves a goddamned Nobel Peace Prize for constantly putting up with BOTH of these turkeys.

Wonder if GNR might have had something to do with this. you know, the cash cow that it is original line ups

I’ll be highly interested to just see what the setlists look like for the shows - given Only’s concerted efforts to make the Misfits into “family” entertainment and to backpedal away from Danzig’s demonic darkness, it would be funny if the band is playing tracks like “All Hell Breaks Loose” (what with the ‘murder-gram signed in their parents’ blood’ and all).

Or maybe they already play that stuff? I have no idea, tracking the progress of the Misfits is something that has really been a low priority for me since high school.

I can guarantee you we won’t be hearing Glenn do Monster Mash.

Seems like a bit of revisionism from Jerry Only, apparently him and Danzig were actually friends the whole time!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/misfits-jerry-only-explains-how-he-reunited-with-glenn-danzig-20160513

This is the only thing to get me to go to a Riotfest again. Argh!

The Danzig Misfits sets were a blast, this should be better?

its about 15-20 years too late for Danzig’s voice, but… at least we don’t have to hear Jerry rumble around sounding like a cartoon villain any more.

im not flying out for it, but I’m sure as hell going to check out recordings. and if they come out near me, i’ll be there in a heartbeat. I’ve got one fucking hell of a soft spot for them, and any chance to see a few of the old cats doing anything off Earth AD together is just too exciting.

As long as this doesn’t interfere with his Wendy’s gigs . . .

https://www.facebook.com/events/280251505645367/