Misfits/Samhain/Danzig

HAHA!!!

Seems to be rather mixed reception by everyone else. Maybe we just hit it at the right time and got the right staff, but I thought it was pretty damn excellent.

I’m glad to hear you got the VIP treatment too, Eureka.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/dennys-los-angeles-7

Ah Denny’s. That Denny’s across the street from the Palladium was a nice, cheap way to get drunk before a show. I got trashed before Ministry played there in '99. I recall there was a show, pretty sure music was played, but a fancy pair of beer goggles and a dare from a friend let to some gross PDA with a random, unattractive girl. I can’t remember a damn thing from that show, still pisses me off considering how much DSOTS has grown on me over the years.

Stupid Denny’s!

The Palladium has Denny’s and Roscoe’s nearby.

Yeah, the Denny’s by Palladium is classic. It was always such a scene after the shows. We always called it “Rock and Roll Denny’s”. I didn’t realize there’s a Roscoe’s on Gower, hahaha!!! That’s really close.

I typically go to the Roscoe’s on Pico/La Brea. It has the best atmosphere and a better chance of getting killed so it’s always had a special place in my heart.

Anyway, I’ll be back at Wiltern on Halloween night for King Diamond and will definitely hit the Denny’s after.

Technically, “Rock and Roll Dennys” was the one that used to be by the Guitar Center further down Sunset. Everything in that stretch is “Rock and Roll” whatever. “Rock and Roll Ralphs” etc.

But it’s gone now, turned into some Mediterranean joint called Aroma or something.

That Dennys should have a title though. Every time I’m watching the news, and I hear “a fight broke out at a local Dennys”, I know it’s that one.

And yeah, the Roscoe’s on Gower is pretty good. They just started carrying beer.

That Dennys should have a title though. Every time I’m watching the news, and I hear “a fight broke out at a local Dennys”, I know it’s that one.

It’s proper old school, too.
I’m pretty sure they STILL have the bathroom that requires tokens.

Glenn Who?
MISFITS – November 14

After years of beating and re-beating the dead horse of dreams that is a “Misfits reunion” I can now say that we can bury this one. After The Misfits absolutely crushing performance on Friday night, not only I no longer care about the prospect of Glenn and Jerry resolving their differences (or setting them aside in the interest of sweet tasty cash) but I prefer it not even be on the table. And this is coming from a long time hard core Danzig fan.

The Misfits played a good two hours and the energy and volume NEVER dropped below 11. Unlike last year’s concert which started with a few of their “new” (I define “new” as anything post-Danzig) songs and also had a few extended chunks of new stuff (which is okay, but not what I came for) last night’s gig opened with “Halloween” and “20 Eyes” and never let up. There were a few new songs mixed in the set, but I thought their placement and feel fit quite well within the context.

Jerry did all the lead vocals this time (he’d traded back and forth with Dez last time). I don’t know if the old dude has been taking vocal lessons or what, but his voice was INCREDIBLE. I remembered it being a bit forced and quite limited in range and technique before, but this was NOT the case last night. He was screaming and crooning like a sonuvagun! Dude was giving Glenn a run for the money. Never once in the entire set did I find myself thinking, “I wish Danzig was singing this one”. He was on point for every song.

They had a four-piece this time, as they had pulled up Jerry’s son as a second guitarist, and I think this really made a difference. It sounded a lot more aggressive and full this time.

Back to the setlist, I really love the golden era of the misfits in the earliest of their early years and I was amazed at how much they played off of “Static Age”. But, then again, they played for about 2 hours and since most Misfits songs are 90 seconds long, I guess they can cover a lot of ground, haha! Other than “Last Caress” which they never play anymore, my homies and I couldn’t really come up with anything that we would have needed to hear which wasn’t included. This is in no particular order and is just what I can recall . . .

Halloween
20 Eyes
I Turned Into A Martian
Teenagers From Mars
Mommy, Can I Go out And Kill Tonight?
Hybrid Moments
TV Casualty
Static Age
Hollywood Babylon
Return of the Fly
Ghost of Frankenstein
Hellhound
We Are 138
Some Kinda Hate
She
Violent World
Skulls
Night of the Living Dead
Astro Zombies
Crying On A Saturday Night
Descending Angel
American Psycho
Death Comes Ripping
Vampire Girl
Devil’s Rain
Die, Die, Die My Darling
Where Eagles Dare
ENCORE Notes: When I saw Samhain in September, Glenn made us wait about 10-15 minutes and then came back and played one more song. Misfits left the stage for about 1 minute at the most, probably to drink some Gatorade or something, and then came back and powered through an encore that was likely another 30 minutes.

CROWD: This was absolutely one of the greatest crowds of any show ever. My buddies and I were cracking jokes aplenty when we first got there because we were definitely the oldest cats at the show. It was definitely an All-Ages gig and there were quite a few kids that I’m sure would have to call their moms for a ride home after the gig. They were so great, though. We were chatting up a number of them before the show and they were so nice and seemed to look up to us as the default totem godfathers of the group, haha! Even when my buddy started giving them this impromptu “You can be anything you want to be, just follow your dreams and go for it!”. Perhaps they were just too polite to tell us to piss off, but they actually seemed appreciative of such encouragement. But these kids were a bit beyond your square-boxed Mickey Mouse Club nerds. When the pit started for D.I. (opening band – classic OC punk) these little monsters showed us what they were made of.

In fact, EVERYONE at this show was awesome. There’s usually at least one or two ogres that are there to hurt people or who just don’t understand the concept of a punk pit (last year’ s gig was overrun by Nazis, actually) but people at this gig were all about unity. It felt damn good. And there were several ladies in the pit showing the fellas that they can throw down just as hard. The two loveliest and friendliest of these lasses are now buddies of mine and I hope to see them rocking out at another future gig. And there was another little she-demon with a three-part Mohawk who must have been about 70 lbs soaking wet, and she was down in the rough throughout the gig. Punk gigs can be major sausage parties, so it’s always awesome when the ladies come out.
Don’t let all this talk of unity and friendship downplay the intensity of the crowd, though. It is a small club and it was packed in the pit. I still love to thrash about, but I don’t have the stamina I used to. The people here were insane. Awesome! But insane. I damn near broke my arm, my ribs are battered and bruised, and I can barely move my neck or walk. We looked and felt like we’d been through combat when we stumbled into Denny’s for our mandatory post-gig pancakes.

Anyway, I could praise this gig for another few pages, but I don’t want to put anyone to sleep. I haven’t even said anything about D.I. yet (their set alone was worth the travel and ticket price).

OH, Wait! One more thing. After the set finally ended, Jerry stepped off the front of the stage and into the crowd to thank and greet everyone. People were passing him all kinds of stuff to sign. He was down there for 30 minutes while we were milling about and getting ready to split and there was still a huge mob. He showed no sign of leaving. He was super appreciative of everyone that came and seemed to really want to make sure that everyone got what they wanted. We left the venue around 11:30 and I wouldn’t be surprised if he was there for another 1-2 hours. Such a rad guy.

Thanks for the show review. I was on the fence about seeing them at The Paramount in NY on Feb. 13… not anymore.

Yeah! Definitely give it a shot, Lowelly!

Jerry has been taking vocal lessons or so the gossip goes. I thought the newest album was great. The title track, devil’s rain, is really good. Sad i missed the gig but i really wasnt expecting much from the newerfits.

I prefer Samhain.

[:|]

Jerry has been taking vocal lessons or so the gossip goes.

It has paid off. BIG TIME.
There was a HUGE noticeable difference between his pipes this year and even just one year ago.

I thought the newest album was great.The title track, devil’s rain, is really good.

I’ll look into it.
He played Devil’s Rain at both shows.
I was surprised as an old bitter man that the crowd really takes to the new stuff . . . perhaps more than the old.

Sad i missed the gig but i really wasnt expecting much from the newerfits.

I was expecting a fun time, but not to be blown away by the show. But I was completely blown away. It was one of those shows that just left me thinking about it constantly for the days that followed. Such an amazing gig.

I prefer Samhain.

[:|]

There was a time when Samhain was my top choice too, but they’re kind of last on my list now.

My favorite stuff is the very early Misfits material, followed by classic-lineup Danzig (Biscuits, Christ, Eerie, Glenn).

Post-Danzig Misfits works best if you don’t think of it as the same band. Imagine they’re a different horror-punk band with some of the same members and it clicks and you realize they’ve got some solid material.

HAHA!!! I’m so outta touch with the post-Glenn stuff. I didn’t even know that “Devils Rain” was a new album/song.

First three Danzig albums are pure gold. But I’ll second the “prefer Samhain” comment. For me, that band is the best of both worlds - everything I like about both Danzig and the misfits but with a healthy dose of 80’s goth thrown into the mix.

Post-Danzig Misfits works best if you don’t think of it as the same band. Imagine they’re a different horror-punk band with some of the same members and it clicks and you realize they’ve got some solid material.

That’s what I said when “The Devil’s Rain” came out. People were laughing at me for buying it, but I kept saying, “If it didn’t have the Misfits name on it, you’d hear it and say ‘This is the best album the Misfits never released.’”

I was just listening to some of it the other day on YouTube. It’s good. I actually think now that Jerry (allegedly) has been taking vocal training, that his voice sounds better suited for this material than Dez.

I’d like to hear them take a crack at another with Jerry on vox. Has he taken lead on any other albums besides the stuff on that “Project 1950” disc?

Devil’s Rain, Project 1950 (which is the only Misfits album I don’t own - lineup preferences aside, it’s just too far off the mark for me to enjoy), and a handful of 7" singles.

There’s a live album too that came out after Devil’s Rain (Dead alive) that has Jerry singing on it.