Misfits/Samhain/Danzig

They were fuckin great!! Danzig even played guitar on Archangel. first two songs were a little sloppy but the band tightened up after that. Highlights for me were archangel, to walk the night, Macabre ,was hoping to get pony girl but no dice. Still, excellent show.

It was a great time. I’ll add some more notes later but I’m a battered stinking mess right now.

Did you pick up? Please tell me you picked up. And please tell me you went out for kebabs afterwards.

Or at the very least took part in a 2am Maccas run…

LONG WINDED, BUT ACTION-PACKED CONCERT REPORT

My buddy and I booked a nearby hotel for us and our wives and after pounding some beers we went out for a lovely Korean dinner (our hotel is right in K-Town). We feasted on BBQ’d Bulgogi, Galbee, and beef tongue, Onion Pancake and a million other lovely side dishes along with some Korean beer and Soju (basically Korea’s version of vodka).

We were looking good on time and got out of there around 8:45 to go back to the hotel and gear up for the show. We grabbed a few beers for the walk and headed down Normandie and took a left on Wilshire. Our hotel is only 1/2 mile from the venue, but as we had been walking for a good 15-20 minutes we started wondering why we hadn’t seen the place yet. A quick map search on our phones showed that we had walked over a mile in the WRONG direction and were now over 1.5 miles from the show.

We were pissed off and freaking out that we might not get there in time for the start of Samhain (we didn’t care about any opening bands). We started moving swiftly as I trotted along the boulevard waving my hand in hopes of a taxi. I finally spotted one and got it flagged and he sensed our urgency and drove NASCAR style to the theatre. We gave him a hearty tip for his performance and proudly walked across the street for pat down/ security.

We could tell we hadn’t missed anything yet since people were very casually milling around inside, and we cheered triumphantly on finally meeting our destination. To celebrate . . . we got some beers. We decided we’d go check out Goatwhore and walked down to the front pit area, showing the gal at the end of the ramp our tickets and wristbands.

Goatwhore was pretty good. I’d seen them before and think they’re quite decent. People seemed a bit jaded, though, so I grabbed a few rowdies to toss around and we soon had a little pit started up.

I told Joe I was going to go get us some more beers and as I reached the foyer I found Grumpy and his homie so we caught up for a bit before I figured I should head back. Got my $14 beers (yes, they are literally $14 each, wow!) and headed down the opposite ramp to return to my post. And I got DENIED. The guard told me that my ticket and wristband were not for the pit.

So I tried the other ramp. And ALSO got denied there. I explained that I was ALREADY DOWN THERE and that my buddy is there. No dice. They were not accomodating. I screamed to Joe. “JOOOOOOOEEE!!!” I leaned over the rail and handed him his beer. “I’ll catch you later, Dude.”

So I had to make a plan. I’d jumped a much higher rail (and caught some really nasty bruises as a souvenir) at last year’s Danzig show, so I wasn’t too worried about this one as it’s only about a 7 foot drop from the top of the wall separating the handicapped section from the pit below.

I just needed to wait for the right moment. Once the show started and the lights go down, I should be able to, after sneaking into the handicapped section, wait for the guards to turn their heads and then hop the wall and be home free. Getting into the handicapped section was easy. And my jump went well. As soon as I hit the ground I started scampering to try and rush to the center of the pit and blend in with the crowd. I realized though that as I tried to crawl I wasn’t going anywhere. Security had jumped on me immediately and I soon felt myself being dragged out and up the stairs. Just dragging me like an old sack of laundry, haha!!! Thump thump thump thump as my body banged against each step. I was kind of in disbelief of what was happening and also sort of laughing at the ridiculousness of it, but I certainly had not given up the fight. I don’t know if they just tossed me when they’d gotten me far enough away or if I broke free, but I was soon loose again.

After telling some girls about my failed infiltration attempt I sneaked in to the OTHER SIDE’s handicapped section and was contemplating trying the exact same routine when I had a moment of inspiration and headed back down my original ramp. I had my ticket out and showing it to the guard I shook his hand with my other hand and pressed a few bills into his hand. I think it was only about 6 or 7 bucks, but I looked homeboy square in the eye and said, “Me and Jackson have pit tickets, okay?” He gave an ever-so-slight nod of understanding and I was successfully back into the front pit area.

The show was great. We were literally at the edge of the stage and, although I didn’t get the great privilege of getting to touch the man, we were that close. I spent time between thrashing around in the pit and crammed up at the edge of the stage.

The band was covered in blood (as were a fair number of fans, actually)! The setlist was decent. They played the songs that were on my “must hear” shortlist. “November Coming Fire”, “Mother of Mercy” “All Murder, All Guts, All Fun” and “Archangel”. As Grumpy noted, it was pretty rad when Glenn got the guitar out for Archangel, and even though we didn’t get to see him ripping strings off it, there was a bit of exchange with him and the tech where he went back and traded up for a different axe. It was actually kind of exciting.

There were a few Misfits songs tossed in which was great. “Horror Business” and a few others, but I’m having a hard time remembering right now.

After finishing the main set the band left the stage and, as the house lights stayed off, we knew we were going to get an encore. They made us wait quite some time, so I started making some assholish songs to sing loudly while we were screaming for Glen to get his fat ass back on stage. I called him fat quite a few times, actually. Anyway, the two song verses that I was shouting loudly were bastardized from “Mother of Mercy” and I was screaming “Mother of Hershey’s!!!” and “We all want our TAAAAACOOOO BEEEELLLL!!!”

So, after what seemed like an eternity, Glenn and the boys came back on stage (I think he was probably taking a big dump or something) for what could possibly be the lamest encore ever. We knew by this time that we were probably going to get “Halloween” since they hadn’t yet played it, and we DID get it, but it not only seemed to be a rather abridged version, but that was the ONLY song.

Seriously, a ONE SONG ENCORE. Pretty lame. I heard that Glenn was pissed off at this gig because the show was rather undersold, so maybe that’s why he felt like delivering the mandatory contractual obligation and getting out of Dodge, but the fans that actually showed up shouldn’t have to bear the brunt of that.

Anyway, just a few other quick notes.
His energy level was really quite amazing during the show. He was swinging around and doing his Glen Danzig punches and such with real ferocity. He’s way more dynamic than would be expected of the 60 year old tubbo.
The other note is that he NEVER TOOK OFF HIS SHIRT. Now, that might actually be a blessing considering he’s 60 and we might not want to see the horror business that lies underneath, but he also NEVER TOOK OFF HIS LEATHER JACKET. It just felt a bit awkward and uncomfortable. I mean, it is hot as Hell there and for this guy to give a balls-out performance with such thick and hot clothes. Sorry, it was just awkward.

Had our post-gig meal at Denny’s and saw Chris Pontius there (he had been to the gig also). Chris might be better known by others as “the guy that does the Party Boy skits on JACKASS”. So, that was our minor celebrity sighting of the night.

The walk home was kind of embarrassing as it was really about 5 minutes from our hotel. Just a couple blocks.

I’m so sore today. I’ve been limping everywhere as my legs are really messed up and every muscle in my body aches as well. I’ve also got a lot of funny bruises all over my body.

Anyway, it was a great show and a great time. I would have liked him to have played more Misfits songs and maybe thrown us a bone with a Danzig song or two, but all-in-all, it was still great.

Always love reading your stories! Sounds like a perfect night. I imagine “Death Comes Ripping” was part of Misfits portion of the show. A friend of mine went to SF show and she should be here a little later to tell me about it.

I don’t think they did “Death Comes Ripping”. Grumpy will probably be a better resource for set list content, though.

Had our post-gig meal at Denny’s…

Can you elaborate on this part a bit more please.

You had a post gig meal at Denny’s aaaand…

<waits in anticipation…>

I don’t think they did “Death Comes Ripping”. Grumpy will probably be a better resource for set list content, though.

No death comes ripping. The only misfits songs were the ones already covered by Samhain.

No death comes ripping. The only misfits songs were the ones already covered by Samhain.

That sucks. I only assumed that because I think “Death Comes Ripping” was intended for Samhain.

<waits in anticipation…>

Yes, Gunnar having a late night meal at Denny’s after a show whilist being drunk sounds amazing.

[reply]
Had our post-gig meal at Denny’s…

<waits in anticipation…>[/reply]

I was completely amazed. First off, as I noted to my buddy, it was without a doubt the most classy and civilized Denny’s I’d ever been to. Denny’s is typically a kind of dumpy place with loud orange green and yellow vinyl furnishing and sloppy food.

Normal people don’t go to Denny’s because they want to go to Denny’s. We go because it’s 2am, we’re drunk and hungry, and Denny’s is OPEN. And when we hit these establishments after midnight we expect a normal repertoire of leading and supporting cast members . . . . loud drunken frat boys, smelly gutter punks nursing coffee and trying to look tough, some lost homeless guy arguing with the staff about needing a token for the restroom . . . and the staff during these “graveyard shifts” are typically semi-functional zombies, hired not for their amazing service skills but for their willingness to work for minimum wage at 3 in the morning.

But this Denny’s honestly blew away ALL the normal well-earned stereotypes. The furnishings were all classy and modern. The staff were polite, attentive, and professional. Both our orders were accurate, complete, and on time. And the food was great (I had pancakes, eggs, and bacon and sausage . . . . for $4!!!). My buddy got some breakfast sandwich which was also $4. Admittedly, my palate could be a bit biased at midnight after some heavy drinking and heavy rocking, but it really hit the spot.

Post-gig grindage is a MANDATORY part of any concert. And in LA, there are a few ways to do it right . . .
- Buy the Mexican Street Dogs (bacon-wrapped franks to die for) that are illegally served off of wheel-in carts by back-alley entrepreneurial Robin Hoods.
- BREAKFAST!!! Denny’s and IHOP are mainstays and usually within walking distance to any venue. If you have safe transport, a journey to ROSCOE’S Chicken and Waffles in the 'hood is even better.

Was this the Denny’s down the street from the Wiltern by any chance?

I agree with Gunnar’s post-show summation, and would add Norm’s to that list.

Was this the Denny’s down the street from the Wiltern by any chance?

Yeah! Have you been there? We were both very impressed. We were also surprised at how QUIET it was. Everyone seemed so civilized and well behaved. It was quite odd given the circumstances, but also very refreshing.

I agree with Gunnar’s post-show summation, and would add Norm’s to that list.

HAHA!!! Yes, Norms is not as ubiquitous, but certainly another sufficient location for post-gig grindage if nearby.

I’ve always wanted to go to Norm’s just because Tom Waits mentioned its “strange looking patty melts” in one of his songs.

[reply]Was this the Denny’s down the street from the Wiltern by any chance?

I’m pretty sure it’s actually attached to the Wiltern part of the same structure. when people line up they end up in front of that denny’s

How drunk do you need to be before Denny’s won’t serve you?

How drunk do you need to be before Denny’s won’t serve you?

That’s like one of those “one hand clapping” type of questions. I honestly don’t think any human has ever been too drunk for Denny’s.

[reply]Was this the Denny’s down the street from the Wiltern by any chance?

Yeah! Have you been there? We were both very impressed. We were also surprised at how QUIET it was. Everyone seemed so civilized and well behaved. It was quite odd given the circumstances, but also very refreshing.[/reply]

Went to breakfast there the day of the Marilyn Manson show 10 years ago. I was with 3 other people and the guy who took our order didn’t write it down. He got it to us off of memory. I was real impressed.

[reply][reply]Was this the Denny’s down the street from the Wiltern by any chance?

Yeah! Have you been there? We were both very impressed. We were also surprised at how QUIET it was. Everyone seemed so civilized and well behaved. It was quite odd given the circumstances, but also very refreshing.[/reply]

Went to breakfast there the day of the Marilyn Manson show 10 years ago. I was with 3 other people and the guy who took our order didn’t write it down. He got it to us off of memory. I was real impressed.[/reply]

^
HAHA!!! That’s fantastic! I get nervous when they do the “no pen needed” schtick even at some 5 star restaurant, but at a Denny’s I would just give up hope altogether and accept that my French Toast Slam with well-done hashbrowns, eggs over medium, and extra bacon would get brought to me as a tuna salad sandwich with extra mayo.

This Denny’s should get some kind of award or something. Or at least a feature with Huell Howser on PBS.

This Denny’s should get some kind of award or something. Or at least a feature with Huell Howser on PBS.

Or Anthony Bourdain should swallow his pride and do a special there. I would sooner recommend the Man Vs Food guy, but he drastically changed his diet.