Ministry Press Clippings, early 80's

I wasn’t able to find the Matter April 83 article, but I found this one.

3 Likes

Awesome…binging on early Ministry lately big time.

I just found something very cool and rare after searching for a while…I’ll probably start a new thread for it.

3 Likes

Awesome, looking forward to it.

Here’s the Matter article. Not sure why some of the old interviews don’t show up anymore, but I have everything if there’s anything anyone still needs. And if anyone has more, please share. These are all gold.

5 Likes

Here’s the flyer from the New York 5/10/82 show opening for Depeche Mode

And from the 6/29/84 Providence show, with lots of other fun punk gigs on the calendar

And the Japanese With Sympathy ad

The calendar with the Chicago show at the beginning of the WS tour

5 Likes

If the July 2 '83 Metro show was recorded for a WXRT Unconcert I’ve never heard it or of it.

5 Likes

Thanks for the shares Bisquitodoom

2 Likes

Wemp, have you ever posted how you started with ministry? Did you answer a flyer or did they recruit you while you were with another band?

3 Likes

This is interesting - the short time in their career when The Cure were also portrayed as a synth duo.
And I’ve never seen that much used Ministry photo in color before.

n

3 Likes

I have a July '83 edition of “Trouser Press” magazine with AFOS on the cover, and there was a decent Ministry article / review included. I will try to get that scanned and share it here.

2 Likes

I traveled in the same Wax Trax/Neo/Club 950 social circles as everyone else in the band at the time. I’d known Paul Taylor for years before he ever was involved with the band. Chatting with Al one night at Neo and he mentioned he was putting a band together so I asked if I could come by a rehearsal and audition. I was already a multi-instrumentalist at that point and had been playing for at least 10 years but never in an actual working band. I showed up and I was in.

6 Likes

Calendar from Clutch Cargo’s, Detroit July 82
Part of the set is on the Chicago / Detroit 1982 release
20100815-223522-354637

2 Likes

I was searching photos…apologies if these have been shared elsewhere on this forum.

Very common 1982 photo, superimposed version
and rare outtakes from same session.

ministry_3gdfsk_465_285_int

3 Likes

is that vince ely added in the second one?

who is the dude in the black shirt?

1 Like

Yep, at one time Vince Ely almost joined the band.

Guy in the black shirt is John Davis (RIP) who played keyboards from 1981-1982.

1 Like

With Stevo in the band there was never any reason to entertain the thought that Vince Ely would actually join. I only saw Vince in the studio on 2 or 3 occasions and he was never holding a drumstick.

3 Likes

Did Vince leave the furs at that point?..seems he was one foot out the door in 1982.

Hard to say if Vince was on his way out of the Furs. I vaguely recall Vince bringing in some Furs demos to Synchrosound and 5 or 6 of us sitting in the Control Room listening. ‘Forever Now’ had already been released and ‘Mirror Moves’, which Vince didn’t play on, wouldn’t be released until '84. Even if Vince had designs on joining Ministry…what instrument would he have played? We already had a great drummer and at least 2 keyboard players already in the band. I seem to recall that Vince came up with that piercing 4 note synth intro to ‘Work for Love’ but I wasn’t around when that part was recorded and I don’t actually know who played it. When we played it live Brad covered that part.

Maybe he was meant to replace me. I had a habit of disappearing back then.

4 Likes

Maybe he was meant to replace me. I had a habit of disappearing back then.

Funny, I thought you were keys, not bass. :grinning:

1 Like

I am glad you rejoined the band in Boston….even if it was short lived.

3 Likes