Ministry Press Clippings, early 80's

I went down a wormhole searching for the 1982 Armory show date and found a ton of other articles about early Ministry. I have more - if anyone is interested, let me know.

Chicago Tribune June 5th 1983

City Pages March 18, 1982
Small mention from a review of their first Minneapolis concert with Medium Medium and Gun Club

Twin Cities Reader April 8th 1982
Review of first 12"

City Pages June 17 1982
Different ad for the Armory show and blurb from same issue

3 Likes

Awesome, would love to see more. I have a nice collection of articles and photos I’ve collected over the years, would be happy to send you what I have.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing. The Chicago Tribune article from May 1983 is fantastic. Al certainly sounds confident about the band’s musical direction and the contract with Arista - as he says he turned down other offers and was keen to avoid being taken advantage of.

Some of these quotes like “I’m a real drama queen…” and “My whole life is acting…” are priceless….and true!

1 Like

Definitey, Ill add more. Feel free to send me any you have or post them on here.

2 Likes

A couple recently found on my phone

This is just a grab from the Wax Trax documentary, Cold Life ad showing a gig February 6 1982 at 950
Not listed in the concerts on this site.

Anyone have this full ad?

July 25th 1982 New Jersey show, listed here as taking place in Chicago.

1 Like

LA Times July 10 1983

Twin Cities Reader Sept 12 1984

City Pages June 3 1982 Posted in other thread plus blurb

1 Like

I think I have that full Wax Trax ad, I’ll see if I can dig it up. Here’s a couple more: 7/17/1982 at City Gardens and 8/28/83 at the Variety Theater (opening for Madness) .

4 Likes

I like how that review has the exact opposite opinion from the norm.

1 Like

Cool! I love seeing the old venue calendar ads.

He mentions a possible acting gig - wonder what that was.

Acting gig…

2 Likes

Aah ok makes sense. I drank Shasta in the 80s.

1 Like

Dude!! Dead Kennedys the next day. Wonder if that was Jello’s and Al’s introduction…

2 Likes

Full Wax Trax ad

3 Likes

Another fun item, the test pressing for I’m Falling/Overkill.
safe_image (1)

3 Likes

Very cool!

Found a couple things about the July 20 1983 Minneapolis show that we all have seen the video of.

3 Likes

Imagine walking into Wax Trax! records 40+ years ago in Chicago, and there’s new wave Uncle Al working behind the register with a stack of freshly pressed vinyl “Cold Life” EPs available for sale.

1 Like

Love this passage from Al’s book working at Wax Trax

“So after a year in Boston Patty and I moved back to Chicago, and I went back to Wax Trax! Jim and Danny gave me a job working the register, and after three days I jumped over the counter and decked some kid who was taunting me: “Oh hey! Big rock star now working behind the record counter. Look at you now.” They were afraid of lawsuits, so they put me in the back, where I had to shrink wrap vinyl all fucking day.”

— Ministry: The Lost Gospels According to Al Jourgensen by Al Jourgensen

3 Likes

The Morning Call July 2 1983

Boston Globe Nov 22 1983

LA Times September 11 1983

Chicago Tribune Oct 24 1982 (R&B band ha!)

Daily Illini July 2 1985

3 Likes

Does anyone have a copy of the Matter April 83 interview? It’s no longer available on this site.

1 Like