Ministry live March 12 1982 @ Misfits Chicago FULL SHOW

I recall an ad announcing a potential single for She’s Got A Cause / Same Old Madness from this time

1 Like

I never understood why this tune had 2 titles. Is there a real reason for this other than the words in the song?

What He Say was renamed Do the Etawa on the European release

1 Like

I’m fairly certain the early version of She’s Got A Cause is the one meant for this release. Going off of Wemp’s date, it should be this version of Same Old Madness.

1 Like

Found it. The lyrics are pretty similar to Hardman.

5 Likes

Maybe the jargon was too strange to grasp elsewhere? This song should have it’s own thread. What he say, for real???

1 Like

Cool tune - I had never heard of them.

3 Likes

Anyone else have a 10 track version of w/s , mine includes anything for you.
Just noticed the meta data placed this as track 1.

1 Like

This is a cd or download?

I’ve been searching for the recent 12 track cd version and it appears to be pretty rare.

Also summer 82 Same Old Madness video created

2 Likes

Here’s both With Sympathy’s:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oc2xYPoi0dWL6tg1-JL_r7wgv3DRAi3h?usp=drive_link

2 Likes

‘So So Life’ was already on the table when tour rehearsals started in Boston, actually Cambridge, in the Late Winter/Spring of '83. ‘Hardman’ didn’t happen until a break mid-tour in the summer of '83.

There was a bit of a break between the end of the tour in September ‘83 and the Pierce-Arrow sessions which happened closer to the Holidays. In fact, Brad, Stevo & I played together in a band with Shay called ‘The Jones Gang’ for much of the period between the end of the tour and into the New Year. Our guitarist was Andre Upchurch, the nephew of jazz guitar legend Phil Upchurch. It was a crackin’ band that did all originals. We put it together in about a week.

5 Likes

Any recordings of this band?

Speaking of the 83 tour, did the setlist always stay the same due to the backing tapes?

1 Like

There are no Jones Gang recordings that I’m aware of. I think there were at least two sets of backing tapes, one for a full set and one for a short set. We sometimes would not play the first or last song from a tape if we needed to but never skipped a song in the middle (although we once did start a song over because somebody missed their cue). I think that Hardman and Overkill were the only two songs that didn’t require a backing tape.

The Jones Gang never used any kind of backing tape. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I was watching the First Avenue 83 video a while back trying to figure out what was backing tapes. Something like the female voices on Work For Love is pretty obvious. I started to wonder if Al’s IWTTH chorus vocals were canned , or he could be doubling them.

1 Like

I don’t think Al ever faked the vocals but there may have been some instances of doubling, as you suggest.

Anything that sounds like a sequencer was on tape (So So). Most of Revenge was on tape. The intro to ‘What He Say’ too, for example. The tape machine was a 4-track so there was 3 tracks of canned audio, (percussion, instruments, vocals) and one track was a click track that was only fed to Stevo’s headphones.

Honestly, the '83 Tour was a bore for me. Same songs, same tempos every show except for the aforementioned Hardman & Overkill. It was a drag. The only thing I played on ‘Here We Go’ for example was the ‘noise lead’…and then I just faked the rest.

6 Likes

Crazy. I wouldn’t imagine too many bands having that kind of backing tracks back then. Super high tech for the time I’m sure.

Stevo wore headphones before the backing tapes? Was he playing to a metronome matching song tempos?

When we started the WS Tour rehearsals it was obvious that there was no way we could program sequencers in real time on stage and sync it up with what we were playing. This was pre-MIDI. So we got a Roland MC-8 MicroComposer but it was tedious to program and not very robust. When we opened for Depeche Mode the year before we noticed they used a 4-track reel-to-reel tape machine and set it up onstage…just like it was a member of the band. So it was decided to go that route. Except the tape player was located at the monitor mixer location onstage. The tapes were mixed and edited at SynchroSound.

Stevo’s track had a metronome and cues for count ins, etc. I believe.

7 Likes

My job allows me to listen to music all day which is a big perk for me.
I made this rare/early playlist that I’ve listened to on shuffle almost every day lately.

It keeps going…

3 Likes