Ministry live March 12 1982 @ Misfits Chicago FULL SHOW

https://youtu.be/D4fLLkpwQec?si=kMkcbOw3uSLPt6ff

I’ve been looking for the uncut shows that comprise the Detroit / Chicago 1982 release. This one just turned up today in full which surprised me.

The files were really slow in pitch/speed (as opposed to most of the tracks on the official Detroit / Chicago 1982 release, which are sped up) so I sped them up slightly to what sounded like correct pitch.

The reason I’m pretty excited about this particular show is that it includes the still unreleased song "The Urge To Run Away’.

Thanks to realmdemagic for sharing the Wax Trax ad that I used in the video.

6 Likes

Thanks for posting, the sound quality on this show is excellent. As far as I know, it’s the second known recording of a live Ministry show (the first being the 12/31/81 show, also at Misfits).

With the upcoming Chicago/Detroit 1982 2CD, all of these tracks are now officially released, sans Primental and The Urge to Runaway. Not sure why Cleo just didn’t release the whole thing in full.

I’m hoping more 1982 shows surface, would love to hear one with Shay Jones singing back up, as she was in the band at least in the second half of the year.

4 Likes

I was hoping to find that New Years show too - who knows if it circulated yet…possibly not.

I was thoroughly disappointed they didn’t at least add The Urge To Run Away to the 2 cd set! That’s what motivated me to try and find the song. I was pissed when I saw the tracklist with only song from the first show! Not to mention the later studio recordings that just seem tacked on.

I’m going to keep looking for old rare stuff - I did find the May 2 1982 Philly show, but it is an audience recording and it’s not too bad, but the setlist doesn’t deviate from what has already been released officially.

5 Likes

I’m disappointed too. I’m holding off on buying that new CD set, if there’s one thing Cleo is known for is they’ll recycle the same material over and over. I’m hoping they put out a nice box set later down the road with all of the early live recordings, in the correct running order.

That Philly show is good, but you’re right, it doesn’t deviate much from other shows that are out there in much better quality.

6 Likes

That Philly show was a total score though. When I chanced upon the guy with that show, he had it and the Blackouts gig from Philly 83. He also had the Ministry set from that Blackouts show (when the Blackouts opened) but only shared 2 songs, sadly. And then he disappeared, in the way that old bootleg tape traders always did. But for a long time, that Philly 82 show was the earliest show to surface. And it’s pretty decent for an audience show from 82, so I certainly treasured it. And a few of those songs were only taped a couple times, so I’ve always liked having a second version.

7 Likes

And thanks for sharing the full show! I can’t remember if I had heard The Urge To Run Away before, but it’s pretty great. So much gold in those days, sadly discarded.

6 Likes

Chout, your happiness is contagious. You seem right at home here with Realm who has always had a love for all things early Ministry.

I remember my hunt for pressed CD ministry bootlegs and how excited I would get when I would find one and be able to cross it off my list. I would always run straight to the board to post about it and a few people would be happy for me and a few others would talk crap and yet still a few others would tell me I overpaid. I didn’t care, I loved the mission of it all. The crowning Jewel was when Bisquitodoom sold me “Darkside of Live.”

Also, you got Bisquitodoom and Wempathos to post, those dudes never post anymore (Bisquito less than Wempathos), so you got that going for ya’.

So, yeah, while I’m not a big fan of early ministry I’m diggin’ the enthusiasm that you’re bringing to this dwindling board. I think the few of us that are left are so jaded with current ministry’s output that it’s nice to see some real excitement over some ministry offerings, even if they are 40 years old. It’s been a while since the ministry bug has really bitten anyone 'round here.
Glad to make your acquaintance.

5 Likes

Hey Thank You grmpysmrf. It is really fun to search for things like this and feels good when you find it.

5 Likes

Cool to hear about that Philly show. I used to tape trade in the late 90’s but stopped when digital took over since things got easier to find online.

4 Likes

Thank you Chout77! You have struck gold!

In addition to the 12/31/81 show, I am hoping full versions of the September 1983 Hollywood Palladium show, and the 12/31/84 EXIT show (the higher quality version that was on the Industrial Accident soundtrack) surface at some point.

4 Likes

I would love to hear that full EXIT 84 recording, plus whatever else Wax Trax has lying around. They have more shows, demos tapes and some unseen concert VHS tapes.

Cleo and Wax Trax should seriously partner up and start putting this stuff out.

6 Likes

I compiled seven different mixes of Work For Love for this video…pretty crazy they made this many different mixes!

5 Likes

Nice work! It’s a great song…40 years later it stands the test of time. Two dominant chords and one hell of a bass line. I appreciated hearing Rob’s interview earlier this year where he mentioned the bass line from The Gap Band’s “Burn Rubber” being a bit of an influence. I also think the band was ahead of their time incorporating some of the different remixes - notably “For Love” and the Dub mix - into their live presentation of the song in 1983. The original version they played live in 1982 is great too - fast, funky, and rockier. I imagine a lot of hard work went into those early live shows. No hard drives or laptops back then to store patches, presets, and drum loops.

5 Likes

It’s a great track - I’ve had it stuck in my head so much lately.

The bass is what hooked me in - love it, as a bass (guitar) player, I actually learned how to play it. I tried it on keyboard but I suck at that.

Incredible production!

Is there a place to hear Rob’s interview?

2 Likes

I don’t know. He was guest on the “80’s Hades” radio show at www.wdbx.org back in May. They archived the show for two weeks on the site before it was deleted. Hopefully, someone recorded it. The two-hour playlist was fantastic - early Ministry tracks plus other influential bands around that time - and Rob was interviewed like every 15 minutes or so between tracks.

I think the host of the radio show, Dr. Incognito, is reachable on Facebook. He might be able to hook you up.

3 Likes

I snagged it back in May. Here you go:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oc2xYPoi0dWL6tg1-JL_r7wgv3DRAi3h?usp=drive_link

4 Likes

Thanks Revco!

2 Likes

At one point I did a run through of all the different mixes and demos of Work For Love an I Wanted To Tell Her. Maybe I posted it here, but I’m sure its not findable in the archives. Ill try to track it down if I have time this weekend. Then ill have to compare with the video. There’s just so many!

5 Likes

Here’s 8 different versions of Work For Love if anybody wants them. I added the 7-10-82 Detroit live version for further repetitive ridiculousness.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_Mhy2rmUt6NBJNHABHQbMVhhPrQYa3lK?usp=sharing

2 Likes

Thank you!!!

1 Like