What are you listening to right now?

Big Electric Cat.

This very moment im listening to

Battery Cage - Statemachine

Killer fucking beat with a coldwave attitude. Cheesy lyrics though.

she wants revenge…these things

[reply]Popol Vuh - Nosferatu OST

Great stuff. I have the Bruder Des Schattens album that has most of Nosferatu on it (but without Das Rheingold) and the tune from Fitzcarraldo (think it was used in My Best Fiend too).

I think the Aguirre soundtrack is the best they did for Herzog. Proper haunting music.[/reply]

If that’s yr cup o’ tea, then check out Tangerine Dream’s ‘Zeit’ for some further ‘proper haunting music’. It comes with the highest recommendations attached (ie mine).

Been meaning to get me some more Popol Vuh for years and years but keep putting it off. I did buy the first Harmonia album on vinyl t’other day though. It’s a Neu / Cluster supergroup thingy. Very very much worth yr hard earned.

Just quit my job - so have been lounging around listening to music 14 hrs a day!!

Listening to -

James Plotkin - The Joy Of Disease
Mr Bungle - Disco Volante
Sunn O))) - OO Void
Boards Of Canada - Geogaddi
Xasthur - Subliminal Genocide
Xasthur - Telepathic With The Deceased
Merzbow - Venerology
Boris/Merzbow - Rock Dream
Comus - First Utterance
Nurse With Wound - Musty Odour Of Pierced Rectums
Scorn - Gyral
Popol Vuh - Nosferatu OST
Whitehouse - Asceticists 2006

Dude, I was there when i quit my job this May! That’s all I did, listen to nothing but music, my old cassettes, and even CD’s I bought decades ago that I only started to listen to now.

Boards of Canada rule because they ride on that late 70’s/early 80’s esthetic. Trans Canada highway was great, “Skyliner” is really for speaker systems.

Xasthur I checked out because Philip Best (Whitehouse/Consumer Electronics) listed them as one of his favourites. Fucking great. Would love to pick up something of thiers one day.

Whitehouse’s A2006 was off-the-charts amazing. “Dans” really pushed the limit of their anger like never before…I could’ve swore Hitler was ressurected to do vocals on it. Just sick. I’m ordering the new CE record when that comes out.

Fucking ace!

movie: support your local sheriff.james garner. possibly the stupidest old comedy of sorts.
i like to listen.

Actually I’m listening to “Aguirre III” right now. I do like that flute ending on I.

“Zeit” is a good album, deeply cosmic. It doesn’t rank quite as high as “Aguirre” for me as it’s a little too dark for my every mood whereas “Aguirre” fits in any time, any mood.

Both the Harmonia albums are fantastic. “Musik Von” is definitely a top 5 from me. Brilliant, brilliant material and it still sounds current as hell.

[/reply]

If that’s yr cup o’ tea, then check out Tangerine Dream’s ‘Zeit’ for some further ‘proper haunting music’. It comes with the highest recommendations attached (ie mine).

[/reply]

‘Zeit’ is good alright, but always think of it as more of a space record ie. drifting across a huge abyss. It doesn’t feature the same kind of melody as Aguirre or Bruder Des Schattens or have the orchestral waves

Xasthur I checked out because Philip Best (Whitehouse/Consumer Electronics) listed them as one of his favourites. Fucking great. Would love to pick up something of thiers one day.

Whitehouse’s A2006 was off-the-charts amazing. “Dans” really pushed the limit of their anger like never before…I could’ve swore Hitler was ressurected to do vocals on it. Just sick. I’m ordering the new CE record when that comes out.

Fucking ace!

Phillip Best is beautifully evil - the most perfect vocalist the world has ever seen.

Dans is sublime - Audio opium at its most venomous.

I own the Consumer Electronic / Merzbow album Horn Of The Goat - another stunner, but good luck finding a copy.

Been in an odd mood as of late. Been listening to :

Billie Holiday
Cab Calloway
Death Cab For Cutie
Bach/Mozart/Chopin/Grieg/Wagner/Beethoven and a few other classical artists
Ministry
Jesu
Sarah Brightman
Katie Melua
Lamb Of God
Devildriver
Norma Jean
Merzbow

Jello - Grow More Pot

I’ve got a “T.V. Song” marathon going on right now.

“Connect the Goddamned DOTS!!!”

Lost Signal - Perfect sky
i think Tom Shear from Assemblage 23 produced their last album.

Oh yeah. And a shitload of Botch.
Mostly the albums “An Anthology Of Dead Ends” and “We Are The Romans”.

It was a gothy weekend at the house:

Xmas Deutschland - Viva
IKON - In The Shadow Of The Angel
Death In June - The Wall Of Sacrifice
Fields of The Nephilim - The Nephilim

Went hiking in the Appalachians this weekend.
The soundtrack for the drive up was A Treasury of Library of Congress Field Recordings.

Tricky - MaxinQuaye
Jesus and Mary Chain - Stoned and Dethroned
Super Adventure Club - Chalk Horror

library of congress field recordings sounds promising. are you joking? bird calls and all?
see any real live hillbillies up there?what’s that sound like? (i’m serious)

Burzum - Aske
SPK - Zamia Lehmanni
SPK - Auto Da Fe
Various - An Anthology Of Noise And Electronic Music
John Cale - Fear
Earth - The Bees Made Honey In The Lion’s Skull

library of congress field recordings sounds promising. are you joking? bird calls and all?
see any real live hillbillies up there?what’s that sound like? (i’m serious)

Ha! No, no bird calls. It’s the old stuff people like Alan Lomax recorded in the first half of the 20th century as a sort of audio folk archive. I’m kind of surprised you haven’t heard of it.

http://www.amazon.com/Treasury-Library-Congress-Field-Recordings/dp/B0000002UB/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1218548058&sr=8-1

Sadly, the golden age of the hillbilly is long gone. There are white trash rednecks to be sure, but they’re more likely to be listening to that dumbass Kid Rock Skyrnyrd/Zevon mashup or Toby Kieth than playing banjo, more likely to be watching Nascar (even mountain men have satellite dishes now) than telling tall tales. The quaint old folk traditions are kept alive mainly by those interested in history, rather than the folk themselves.