With Sympathy and Wax Trax live shows

Inspired by the post of all the various studio versions of With Sympathy songs, I put together a list of live shows that recordings exist for, and shows that “could” exist in some format.

I was checking out setlist.fm and several dates have tracklists added. Usually people copy over tracklists from other known shows, but there are some wild cards in there (such as She’s Got A Cause appearing in a few dates in both the 1982 and 1983 shows) and differences in the amount of songs played (in those days they either played 30 min, 45 min or full 1 hour shows depending on the time slot).

Here’s what I came up with.

Confirmed recordings through official releases and snippets that have surfaced.

12/31/1981 Misfits, Chicago (full set) Stereo audience recording (probably recorded by the crew)

3/12/1982 Misfits, Chicago (full set) Stereo audience recording (probably recorded by the crew)

5/02/1982 East Side Club, Philadelphia (45 min set) Audience recording (fan recorded)

5/18/1982 On Broadway, Chicago (30 min set) Stereo soundboard recording for FM Broadcast

7/10/1982 Clutch’s Cargo, Detroit (full set) Stereo soundboard recording

7/10/1983 City Gardens, New Jersey (full set) Audience recording (fan recorded)

7/14/1983 Ripley’s Music Hall, Philadelphia (30 min set) Audience recording (fan recorded)

7/20/1983 First Ave, Minneapolis (Pro Shot video, full set) (recorded by venue)

9/12/1983 Hollywood Palladium, LA (45 min set) Stereo soundboard recording for FM Broadcast

Shows documented on setlist.fm with (what appears to be) proper tracklists.

4/04/1982 University of Chicago (full set)

5/10/1982 Stages, Chicago (45 min set)

7/17/1982 City Gardens, New Jersey (full set)

7/22/1982 Cherry Hill, Valentino’s, New Jersey (full set)

7/30/1982 Tut’s, Chicago (full set)

7/02/1983 Metro, Chicago (full set)

7/06/1983 The Channel, Boston (full set)

7/13/1983 The Bayou, Washington DC (45 min set)

7/23/1983 Comiskey Park Festival, Chicago (30 min set)

8/27/1983 Aragorn Ballroon, Chicago (45 min set)

9/04/1983 Rainbow Music Hall, Denver (full set)

9/06/1983 Greek Theater, LA (45 min set)

3 Likes

Very cool.

I’ve been searching daily for more live shows from this era but nothing new lately.

2 Likes

I found this rarities collection tonight with a couple recordings from the 83 Philly show I haven’t seen before. Audience recording. Chipped Beef is The Blackouts, not Ministry.
ministryrarities

3 Likes

Nice, definitely some good cuts in there!

What He Say I think is from the 9-12-83 LA Palladium show, if it’s the same as this one.

3 Likes

I don’t know how I haven’t seen that video before…some cool rare pics in there.

2 Likes

Found a couple live sets today:
7-10-83 Trenton and 7-20-83 Minneapolis

Trenton is a stereo audience recording but sounds pretty full, if a tiny bit distorted at times. The sound seems to be louder coming out of the left speaker.

The Minneapolis one may be a different source than the video, which was unexpected. I compared it with all of the video versions currently on Youtube and it is in stereo, and fuller sounding. Most of the video dubs of this show are in mono. Like the Trenton show, the sound is louder in the left speaker.

If anyone wants these, I could load them into google drive

Edit: Here they are
7-10-83 Trenton
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lD8_7lhWcQipYfy-LfltFDS7Myc_y9t4?usp=sharing
7-20-83 Minneapolis
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/14w9epg3GVyPKReLLd_1dzdXOUeKXnZo3?usp=sharing
Here’s the full 3-12-82 Misfits Chicago show
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VTH7NIxfsuMfaNLh_rBMptFNlV-qyEHr?usp=sharing

3 Likes

Thank you!!!

2 Likes

No problem…Enjoy!

2 Likes

Pretty cool! I don’t think I had this Trenton one at all yet.
It’s surprising just how few With Sympathy live sets are out there, considering how big they were at the time.
I mean, they weren’t huge. But big enough that you’d expect more than 3 or 4 shows to exist out there.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to digging into the Minneapolis show.

1 Like

Here’s the full 7-10-82 Clutch Cargo’s show with the pitch/speed corrected

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Cu6mrIGWoM3GKugaMr_ls_fnRE_11Zmr

You’ll need to edit the link…

Should be fixed

Yep…Thanks!

1 Like

Really digging So So Life lately.

I wish there was a studio recording of it.

1 Like

Me too! Maybe there’s a demo floating around out there. There should at least be a soundboard recording of “So So Life” from the same September 1983 Hollywood Palladium show. Perhaps it will get a proper release soon.

2 Likes

I really really want that Palladium show and the 12/31/81 show…the bookends to this phase of the band.

2 Likes