“THE STROKE OF GUNNAR”
On April 3, 2023, my life changed forever.
I was working out at Gold’s Gym with my trainer when he looked at me and asked, “Are you okay? You look kind of odd.”
Another gym member immediately replied, “I think he’s having a stroke!”
I had never had a stroke before and had never even been a patient in a hospital. Someone called 911, and the paramedics arrived quickly. They placed me on a stretcher, loaded me into the ambulance, and rushed me to the hospital.
When they put me on the stretcher, they had to cut open my Black Sabbath T-shirt. It was the first time I had ever ridden in the back of an ambulance, and I watched those paramedics work with incredible skill and urgency. I came away with tremendous respect for them. They are outstanding professionals.
I have never written this before, but while I was in the ambulance, I could not feel my arms or my legs. They were completely paralyzed.
My wife and I live in a three-level condo with our bedroom on the third floor. As I lay there, I imagined what our future might become. I thought about how she would have to give up so many of the comforts of our life just to take care of me. I worried we might have to move into a different house and that everything would be turned upside down. I even feared she might have to quit her job to become my full-time caregiver.
So I prayed. I focused all my attention on my arms and legs and asked God to let me have them back.
When the ambulance finally parked outside the hospital, I was able to move my arms and legs again. The relief I felt is impossible to describe.
The doctors performed brain scans, and my wife took a picture of one of them. The white area on the image showed the damaged portion of my brain, the area responsible for speech and language. That region of my brain will be damaged from the stroke until my death; it is about 1/6th of my brain.
The doctors told us, “He has lost all language. He’s going to have to relearn words and sentence structure. He may have only 60% of his language function remaining.”
I spent one week in the hospital. When I was discharged, I couldn’t speak at all. There was only silence. But I refused to quit.
My wife enrolled me in speech-language therapy in Anaheim. My insurance only covered one hour per week, but we found a program where I could work four hours a day. Every day, she drove me there and sat in the car waiting while I worked. She did this for two weeks until I was able to get my driver’s license back.
I love my wife deeply. She sacrificed her own time and energy so that I could focus on becoming the best version of myself again. Her support made all the difference.
After six months of rehabilitation, I returned to work.
My coworkers were thrilled to see me because they understood how serious my stroke had been.
One of the challenges I faced was that I could no longer trust my handwritten notes. My right hand could still write something, but later I often couldn’t read what I had written. Sometimes I would even forget parts of a conversation while it was happening.
So I evolved.
I started telling customers that I had suffered a stroke and asked if they would mind if I used a phone app to record my notes. Then I could focus completely on listening instead of struggling to write everything down. What started as a necessity became a strength. I paid closer attention to people and to what they were really trying to tell me.
Later, at a trade show in Las Vegas, one year after the stroke, I carried a printed copy of my brain scan from the day of the stroke. I would show it to visitors and explain that I had suffered a stroke, and if they could be patient with me, I would gladly help them find the right solution for their property.
Something unexpected happened. People were drawn to the conversation. They didn’t just want to talk about products—they wanted to tell me about their own struggles or the health challenges faced by themselves, their friends, or their family members. The experience created an immediate connection and a level of honesty that I had never experienced before.
With 26 years of experience in the industry, I could still serve my customers well, but now I understood something deeper: Everyone is carrying a story.
Then came the summer of 2024.
At our national sales conference in Chicago, with nearly 400 people in attendance, I was presented with the Courage Award.
I know that many people might have chosen a less demanding role after such a life-changing event, but I threw myself completely back into sales. I didn’t simply return to work—I gave it everything I had. I cared about every customer, listened carefully, and worked hard to understand exactly what they needed. Receiving that award was one of the proudest moments of my life.
My stroke took away part of my language, but it also gave me something unexpected: a deeper appreciation for people, perseverance, faith, and every opportunity to connect with another human being.
It changed my life forever. I became a better listener. I learned that every person has a story worth hearing. I was given a second chance at life, and I am grateful for every day that comes with it.
Thank you, God.
Thank you to my wife and family.
Thank you to the health professionals.
Thank you to my coworkers.
Thank you to my friends.
And thank you to everyone who helped me.
Because of your support, encouragement, and belief in me, I know that I can overcome whatever challenges lie ahead.
“BORN AGAIN”

