The missing actor Julian Sands

Anyone following this story about the actor Julian Sands who’s gone missing on a hiking trip in Southern Cali? Not looking good for him considering he has been missing since the 13th…could be a casualty of a grizzly…I wasn’t a huge fan or anything but always thought he was a solid actor…he is also one of those guys who is under the radar and didn’t ever seem to play the bullshit Hollywood gliteratti nonsense… I feel bad for the dudes kids and the rest of his family…any of my west coast brothers on the board know much about the Baldy Mountains or that area up there? Not sure why I’m so intrigued by this story…just not every day that you hear about a respected semi-famous actor going missing on a fucking hiking expedition…I don’t expect this story to have a happy ending…

Btw,I tried to just call this thread ‘Julian Sands’ but the title had to be at least 15 characters…I greatly appreciate what Afra does here for all of us but I do hate some functions of the board…

Ive seen the headlines but i dont know who he is. i feel for his family but im not interested in the details. Mount baldy is actually pretty near both me and gunnar. I know its a popular spot for hiking and they apparently found some other missing hiker while searching for him. i wouldnt suspect a grizzly bear probably a fall or hypothermia perhaps a rattlesnake bite but im not sure how many snakes would be out right now. Not to sound morbid but id put my money on a fall.

I’ve actually been lightly absorbed by the story.

My Baldy is quite close to me. I often take visitors up there or drive up with my wife because it’s the quickest way to see snow from where we live. But we just drive up, look around and come back. We never do any radical exploring/hiking or anything.

There were a handful of others that have gone missing in the past few weeks too. It’s sadly too common around here because we’re a bunch of So. CA urbanites and suburbanites and very few of us know what we are doing in the mountains… but some of us are at least aware enough to know we’re ill equipped and ignorant. Too many come up with a cell phone and sneakers, and soon find that their shoes slip and their phone signal is worthless on the mountain. If you do that on your own and stray too far off the marked trails it’s a death sentence.

I first though Julian may have been a clueless city slicker, but later saw some details that showed he was more experienced and prepared than most of us… and such confidence can lead one further out than they have any business being. And this was also during some bad CA storms so that mountain saw some shit that it usually doesn’t get.

I try to never give up hope or rule out a miracle, but realistically, it’s one in a million odds at this point. I feel awful for his family too.

I wasn’t a rabid fan, but I always loved the guy. He did those cheesy WARLOCK films which were a lot of fun and when he’d show up on Law and Order or something he always killed it. I could hardly believe it when he agreed to be in Glenn DANZIG’s last movie. It just made me feel even more convinced that he was a really grounded dude who didn’t take his own shit too seriously… and like Queer noted, he seemed to stay out of the Hollywood cesspool.

Praying for him and his family.

1 Like

Just talking to my buddy about the first Warlock movie (he says the first one actually holds up as a solid b movie), so very sad to hear about this. My wife and brother-in-law did Baldy before I met them and the brother-in-law got super sick when he was up there. Dangerous stuff.

A month past and still not found.
I think the inevitable has to be accepted by everyone at this point, but even so, closure is needed. I hope they find out soon.

Yeah he is toast, unfortunately…

Los Angeles Times - Mount Baldy deadly hiking

The LA Times recently ran an article about the perils of hiking Mt Baldy.

Apparently it’s confirmed. Sad day

Yeah I saw that…at least it’s some closure for his family…be careful about hiking alone,kids…

1 Like

Yeesh.