New Al Jourgensen/Ministry book coming soon.

Sounds kind of like Dee Dee ramone’s book ‘Chelsea Hotel’…fact then fiction then fact and fiction again

Wow, shocking defense of Al by Luc Van Acker. The last question in his section is a surprising response to the accusations of thievery/exploitation. Honestly impressed by this.

About 2 chapters in, because Amazon decided I needed to wait a little longer than everyone else. So far, I feel I’ve gotten pretty decent at figuring out which parts are Al and which parts are the writer.

The first few pages with the list of quotes from other artists seems pretty pointless. They start off with big names, but then peter out pretyty quickly. I’m honestly not sure who several of the last ones even are. And a lot of the quotes aren’t even that positive.

The interview with his stepdad is pretty interesting, if only for a comparison for the truthiness of Al’s viewpoint on the same things. Granted that the events are through the eyes of a child vs. the eyes of an adult, but I think it pretty much gives you an idea of how to filter the rest of the book.

Just before this, I was about halfway through Marc Almond’s first autobiography. Didn’t think about it until now, but they actually have a lot in common. Both struck it big on their first album within 2 years of eachother. Both were famously debaucherous (though I think one moreso for publicity’s sake) and both famously difficult to work with. Both pretty much crashed commercial fame in favor of doing something darker and on their own terms. Both rebounded fairly well in musical/fame terms, but have been plagued with lifelong substance abuse issues. Almond’s bio however, is all him. Pretty well-written and honest. Highly recommended.

I gotta place this order. I just read the almost 600 page “Louder Than Hell” on my 5 day vacation and I could use another rock book.

I am over halfway through the book and am not impressed. The hole book reads like that embarrassing video Ministry posted last year of Al drunk, sitting on his porch trying to brag to Tommy and Tony Campos about his exploits. All he does is brag about “Beating his ass” or “Being Fucked Up”. I honestly don’t think Al is lying, because I don’t think he remembers most of the details. It is obvious that he is only surrounded by people who kiss his ass, causing him to be like this. He seriously reminds me of the drunk old-timers at the end of the bar who are wasted by 9pm and just have these pissing matches with their long tales of decadence. There however is not even one ounce of humility in the book. It is getting pretty hard to read.
Bottom line, the book is one big brag fest about how much of a badass Al is and how he hates his life, which is why he did so many drugs.

Ouch.
That’s, unfortunately, pretty much what I expected and was hoping to be surprised. I have it on order now and I’m guessing it will come this week. We’ll see if I ever actually finish it. The samples I was reading on Amazon were a bit of a chore, to be honest.

I wish Al would have just dropped his guard for this one and allowed them to do something similar to “DIRT” by Motley Crue . . . . . let OTHERS give their side of the story simultaneously and just present it all to the reader.

But, yeah, I don’t think outside opinions on the subject matter is really welcomed here. Unless it’s from some ass-kissing fanboy or something.

I am over halfway through the book and am not impressed. The hole book reads like that embarrassing video Ministry posted last year of Al drunk, sitting on his porch trying to brag to Tommy and Tony Campos about his exploits. All he does is brag about “Beating his ass” or “Being Fucked Up”. I honestly don’t think Al is lying, because I don’t think he remembers most of the details. It is obvious that he is only surrounded by people who kiss his ass, causing him to be like this. He seriously reminds me of the drunk old-timers at the end of the bar who are wasted by 9pm and just have these pissing matches with their long tales of decadence. There however is not even one ounce of humility in the book. It is getting pretty hard to read.
Bottom line, the book is one big brag fest about how much of a badass Al is and how he hates his life, which is why he did so many drugs.

I have not picked up the book yet but I think this post sums up pretty well how I have felt about Al after seeing some of those “making-of” vids…there is something very sad about seeing a guy in his 50’s still trying to be so hip…it’s one thing to just be a bad ass…but constantly bragging about it is something else entirely…

it’s getting some press…

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ministry-frontman-al-jourgensen-on-his-sex-and-drugs-heavy-new-autobiography-20130708

it’s getting some press…

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ministry-frontman-al-jourgensen-on-his-sex-and-drugs-heavy-new-autobiography-20130708

Comment section:
“The darkest part of his career is that ridiculous English accent on With Sympathy”…[laugh]

I finished this over the weekend. I liked it. Much more enjoyable than Connelly’s book.

Yes, he’s a blowhard and a braggart, but that’s pretty much what I expected. I laughed a lot.

finally got my copy today …here we go.

Almost done and I think it’s pretty bad. Spends most of the book bashing everyone he’s ever worked with. He gives most people the 1984 treatment - I hate him now, so I’ve always hated him, etc. The worst part are the terrible exaggerations. Like Connelly getting attacked by a couple 10 year olds and Al coming in to save the day. He spends almost no time on things that you’d think he’s want to wax nostalgic about, and just keeps rambling on about nothing in particular. I do enjoy the short interviews with others throughout. It gives a nice contrast to show just how exaggerated everything is. Al claims to have interviewed Ronald Reagan Jr after a concert he and Gibby were going to was cancelled. Gibby tells it like they were just in the same room ith him along with a ton of other people. Etc. Etc. Etc.

And many of his stories are things that would only impress the dropout kids in high school. There are a ton that end in “so I punched the guy” or “so we had a brawl”. Not the sort of thing that makes me a fan. If I wanted that, I’d be a big fan of Pantera,or whatever. Quite a few bring to mind that episode of It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia where they get all drunk and go to their reunion and pull of this great dance number. Then it cuts to what it actually looks like http://youtu.be/bb-CwFjbpas

And he goes to great lengths to insist that he’s above repeating himself and that’s why he’d never revist his old styles. But then he churns out the same thrash album over and over.

The Barker slagging is pretty thick too. The movie Fix was all Barker? I seem to remember Al having ultimate creative veto on that. I’d comment on the whole theft part, but it’s not really my place. I’ve heard a little of the other side, albeit second-hand, but that’s some pretty harsh accusations to print.

I wanted so much to like it, and there are some good bits, but overall I’m pretty disappointed.

So what did Al have to say about Frankie other than the story about giving him head. I know Al burned that bridge around the time of, or after, the Evil Doer tour.

Makes me think of the bit in season 3 of Alan Partridge where someone is complaining that every anecdote in his autobiography ends with: ‘…needless to say, I had the last laugh.’

Makes me think of the bit in season 3 of Alan Partridge where someone is complaining that every anecdote in his autobiography ends with: ‘…needless to say, I had the last laugh.’

Hahaha, i’ve been talking about that a few times today, specifically the bit where he annoys the female guest on the religious radio show so much that she walks off.

Woman: “Yes i noticed alot of bitterness , you end nearly every story with, needless to say , i had the last laugh”

Alan: “Well you can end chapters with needles to say, i took drugs”

it’s getting some press…

Interesting quote at the end of the article how Al is ready to see Mike in heaven.

What the hell makes you so sure, Al, you are going to heaven especially how you treated some of God’s children on earth???[pirate]

I just received my copy in the mail a few minutes ago. So I’ve only looked at the pictures so far.

But I have to say, Al’s mom was hot.

Interesting quote at the end of the article how Al is ready to see Mike in heaven.

What the hell makes you so sure, Al, you are going to heaven especially how you treated some of God’s children on earth???[pirate]

He knows because he read his name in the Great Book . . . . you know, the one written by Gerda, and due to be published in 2086.

The thing elrey69 said about Al showing no humility on account of being surrounded by ass kissers and sycophants is pretty spot on. Haven’t read it, but I guess if you want to understand the pathology of someone like Al, there’s your answer.

Then again, if anyone’s going to knock Al for slagging anyone off, then they can’t surely exempt Connelly from the same criticism? None of us can really say who or who isn’t the most reliable source simply because we weren’t there… and we should probably all be occupied with more pressing matters.