High-performance 'luxury' computers

I’m looking to invest in a new desktop system, probably in January, and after a lot of research, am seriously considering a Maingear Prelude:

http://www.maingear.com/Products/Desktops/

I do a lot of graphic design, some very mild gaming, and want to get more involved with music production software. I really want something a little better than a popular brand pc. I can customize a fairly powerful set-up for just under $2K that will hold me over for another 5 years. Hell, I bought an HP at Best Buy 10 years ago that cost me about $1500, and it would be considered a dinosaur today. I read a lot of positive reviews about Maingear on [H]ardforum, and CNET gave a glowing review for the Prelude, so I’m feeling pretty good about this one. I bought the parts and built my current computer back in '03, which worked out pretty well (some hardware conflicts here and there), but I’m tired of being my own tech, esp. not being a real computer wizard to begin with.

Does anyone here have a high-performance pc (Falcon NW, AVA Direct, Puget, Velocity Micro, VooDoo, Alienware, etc.), or had a good/bad experience to share? I initially looked into the Dell XPS, but have seen a lot of user comments that caused concern - too pricey, poor support, questionable performance, low bang for the buck. I know building my own is way cheaper, but I really want a professional to build my next one, and don’t mind forking over the $$$ for the warranty. I’d rather have the convenience and peace of mind at this point. I’ve owned 3 or 4 crap-to-decent computers over the years, and am ready to make the investment in a quality, ‘mid-range’ high-performance pc.

Thoughts? Opinions? Ridicule? [sly]

I say go for it. Building your own is usually the way to go, but why not splurge? I’ve seen some of the higher-end PCs like Alienware operate, and they’re unreal.

This topic reminds me how much I really need a desktop, as well…

Well 1002…
I have what I consider a “luxury computer”, and it cost me just over 1200. However, I built it myself. I build all of my computers. I also build all of the computers in my office. With that being said… I understand that you really don’t want to know or bother with building. But lemme say this… you really are gonna save a whole lot of money.

macs…
The bad thing about Macs… is that once you buy that machine - you’re really kinda locked into it. Meaning there’s really not a whole lot of upgrading available - whereas with a PC - the upgrades are endless - and cheap.

I’m at work and don’t have time to get too deep with research for you at the moment… but i can say that the Alienware machine are mostly for high-end gaming. The link you included seems to have more of a “all around” good machine. However, i went through the process of building one with the specs of my current machine and I wound up with a total of “2,696.97”. That is without shipping or whatever else they might tack on. So lemme say… you’re gonna spend about 40% more - but if you’re cool with that - go for it.

let me know if you have questions.

been building my own computers with parts from computer shows and whatnot since the 80’s…

anybody remember egghead software?

Yes, I remember Egghead. I used to get all of my Infocom games from them.

However, i went through the process of building one with the specs of my current machine and I wound up with a total of “2,696.97”. That is without shipping or whatever else they might tack on. So lemme say… you’re gonna spend about 40% more - but if you’re cool with that - go for it.

Hmm, that price difference certainly makes me think twice about it. Ok, a couple of questions. Do you have a preference between AMD and Intel processors, and Nvidia and ATi graphics cards? Maybe the better move is to customize on their site, and then go to NewEgg/Fry’s, etc. for all the components? My last pc only cost $400 to build, and it’ served me well, but it’s definitely upgrade time.

I appreciate the comments so far, thanks.

This is just my personal preference…

I prefer AMD and nVidia.

Here is my current rig:

• Windows XP Pro (32 bit)
  • aBit AN9 32x motherboard
  • Athlon 6000+ (dual 3 gig @ 64-bit)
  • (4) gigs of Crucial RAM (even tho XP only sees 3.5 gig)
  • (2) nVidia 8800 GT 512 MB video cards (SLI)
  • (2) 150 gig Western Digital SATA drives (non-RAID)
  • (2) LiteOn DVD+R drives (SATA 20x)
  • Creative Audigy2 ZS Platinum sound card
  • Samsung SyncMaster 940 (19")
  • i forget my power supply i think its a 850w

I bought everything except the RAM at NewEgg. I bought the RAM at crucial.com. I am a big PC gamer. I can play any game at MAX settings - even crysis and Call of duty 4. I also am a front-end web developer so I use Photoshop CS3 and Dreamweaver CS3. Boot and run very fast. I own a Camcorder so I use Premier Pro CS3 with firewire. Smooth as silk - no problems. My monitor is not widescreen but i don’t mind it - its pretty damn big.

But the great thing is that I can upgrade ANY component at any time without problems. SATA is new and very fast for drives. I bought some lame-ass beige case, cuz I like to “fly stealth”. I’m not really into the box itself - like a lot of builders.

The problems you’re going to have when building is matching the chipset of the MOBO and the processor. so keep an eye on that. an older problem was doing dual hard drives or dual CD/DVD drives because you have to set a slave and a master with jumpers. However, with the new SATA technology that problems is not more.

You will get so many varied responses on the different hardware that you will end up more confused. I would target a couple categories that are most important to you and buy the system that ranks highest in those areas.

Some good sites to check although they are more aimed towards the DIY crowd include firingsquad, anandtech, tomshadware, hardocp, and I’m probably forgetting some others. I know I’ve seen reviews for Alienware products and what not on those sites.

[reply]However, i went through the process of building one with the specs of my current machine and I wound up with a total of “2,696.97”. That is without shipping or whatever else they might tack on. So lemme say… you’re gonna spend about 40% more - but if you’re cool with that - go for it.

Hmm, that price difference certainly makes me think twice about it. Ok, a couple of questions. Do you have a preference between AMD and Intel processors, and Nvidia and ATi graphics cards? Maybe the better move is to customize on their site, and then go to NewEgg/Fry’s, etc. for all the components? My last pc only cost $400 to build, and it’ served me well, but it’s definitely upgrade time.

I appreciate the comments so far, thanks.

1002[/reply]

Of course I see this after I type the last response. Sort of what I said before, target the areas most important.

I built a system recently and what was most important to me was silence and future-proofing so I wouldn’t have to upgrade it for some time. Most important to me was a solid case, a good processor, and a video card I wouldn’t have to replace for a year or two. Build around the hardware that best serves your purposes.

A friend of mine wants a system specifically for video production so we are focusing the money on areas important to that…another is doing audio and doesn’t care about games so the motherboard/video aren’t too beefy but the audio card is.

You aren’t really going to go wrong with AMD/Intel so I wouldn’t focus so much on vendors but what you are going to be using the computer for.

If you start building…

newegg.com
and
geeks.com

are your friends…

Just when I thought I was gonna get lazy and buy a pre-built…! I do appreciate everyone’s input. Last time I built, I scored on some good sales at Fry’s, but I’m definitely going to check out newegg, geeks, and a couple of other sites, and do some pricing. You’re already motivating me to build again, but it is the smart way to go.

One more question, can someone recommend a good site for cases? I don’t want anything fancy, but I do like the style of cases on Maingear (the black ones, not the gamer cases).

One more question, can someone recommend a good site for cases? I don’t want anything fancy, but I do like the style of cases on Maingear (the black ones, not the gamer cases).

I bought my case (Antec P182) from Mwave.com. I think Newegg or Mwave should have most the popular cases.

I think that if you want really high end equipment PCs and Macs end up costing more or less the same amount of money. To properly upgrade a PC you’d have to replace the motherboard, RAM, graphics card etc. anyway, which is almost the same as buying an entire new computer. PowerMacs seem to have the same upgrade capability as desktop PCs and with laptops, the upgrade capability is very limited in either case.

So it all comes down to what software you need to run on your machine.

Check this crazy rig out - the Hardcore Reactor. All of its internal parts are submerged in a synthetic cooling liquid:

http://www.hardcorecomputer.com/

Starting at the low low price of $3969.

Finally built a new PC. Last one was in 2016…

Slight change…

1 Like

Dang. #####