Controversial Opinions

Any opinions that make people cry and whinge? You don’t have to justify them (necessarily)

The Beatles were great but a lot of the adoration and attention they get is uncritical hero worshipping hysteria

Pearl Jam are totally shit careerist phonies

People wearing PVC and making techno is not industrial music

NIN aren’t as good as they were, but they never jumped the shark

Terrible Lie is just that remix of boyz n tha hood by NWA but with angsty lyrics (check it out) & I don’t really rate it

Terrible Lie is just that remix of boyz n tha hood by NWA but with angsty lyrics (check it out)

I don’t hear it.

I can’t stand Black Sabbath. Their music, and especially Ozzy’s voice. Just terrible.

Also Led Zeppelin sucks.

You want to talk about overrated bands?

Throw The Clash on that list too.

I’ll weigh in with additional controversial opinions soon, but:

The Beatles were great but a lot of the adoration and attention they get is uncritical hero worshipping hysteria

I agree.

We also largely owe the trend of “too-clever band misspellings” to them, I reckon.

When I become Imperious Tyrant of Earth, all such names will be reverted to their proper English spellings, so:

The Beetles, Deaf Leopard, Striper, Leonard Skinner, Limp Biscuit, Lincoln Park, Mud Vein, etc…

I will also disallow any cheeky / clever misspellings of food franchises and products, starting with Dunking Doughnuts

1 Like

Ah yes the clash - middle class pub rockers who jumped on the punk bandwagon because their manager bernie rhodes was Malcolm McClaren’s arch rival.

I love the way wannabe musos say the pistols were manufactured (because… their manager gave them free clothes? right) but always cite the clash as the real deal, when they totally fucking aren’t

Guns of Brixton… such corniness. White poshos tokkin like rudebwoys… vomit

Metal Box by PiL is punks who actually understand dub

(Although I do love the song “London Calling”)

[reply]Terrible Lie is just that remix of boyz n tha hood by NWA but with angsty lyrics (check it out)

I don’t hear it.[/reply][i]

Nobody does… the opening of Capital G reminds me of wanna be startin something. I think maybe my brain has a bruise or something

I love the way wannabe musos say the pistols were manufactured (because… their manager gave them free clothes? right) but always cite the clash as the real deal, when they totally fucking aren’t

Fucking exactly!

Edit:

“London Calling” is their only good song. That’s why I refer to them as overrated as opposed to terrible.

Terrible Lie is just that remix of boyz n tha hood by NWA but with angsty lyrics (check it out) & I don’t really rate it

You mean the guitar sound in-between verse lines? That’s the only similarity I hear, but it’s a typical blues song structure either way.

The percussive guitars that do the same sort of chord change, the tinkling synth line

If you think I’m chatting shit with that, get this…

Piggy = slo-mo angsty version of Fever by Elvis.

I love the way wannabe musos say the pistols were manufactured (because… their manager gave them free clothes? right) but always cite the clash as the real deal, when they totally fucking aren’t.

Even when speaking of clothes, weren’t the Clash being dressed by Jasper Conran [Order of the British Empire, no less] at some point?

NIN aren’t as good as they were, but they never jumped the shark

That’s a very charitable view, i’d go slightly further and say that they went from being my favourite band to being absolute shit. I listened to the last album once, will never listen to it again. The Slip, and what i could tolerate listening to from Ghosts, was crap as well. Most of what he did with his wife in that other project was boring, samey shite. It’s just all the same, all boring, none of it worth listening to. There’s no excitement to NIN any more.

In fairness, i did see them live last year and it was great, but as far as the albums are concerned, i’m finished with them. I hear they added a load of backing singers to the tour after the show i saw, i’ve no idea why they would need that, sounds like a bit of shark-jumping to me [;)] I think the reason he’s never jumped the shark album-wise is because he’s so stuck in this boring rut that he can’t come up with something different enough that it could be considered shark-jump material.

Regarding The Clash, although i despise Mick Jones and Joe Strummer (normally i call him by his real name, John Mellor and refuse to call him Strummer, my little mark of disrespect, hahaha), i think they have a lot of really great music. It pains me to say that, because i really do hate the bastards. Strummer seemed like an absolute cunt, and that documentary about him didn’t change my opinion. Something that stood out for me about him was that, after he died, someone who actually knew him wrote to Q Magazine to criticise them for their deification of Strummer. He said the man himself was a hateful twat who used and abused his friends when t suited him and then abandoned them.

mrs_cripple is a NIN fan and so I got dragged to one of their shows last November. He had the two gospel singers with him at that point, and it was utterly ridiculous. I laughed so hard.

I’ve never really been a fan, but with this new incarnation he has passed over into parody.

mrs_cripple is a NIN fan and so I got dragged to one of their shows last November. He had the two gospel singers with him at that point, and it was utterly ridiculous. I laughed so hard.

I’ve never really been a fan, but with this new incarnation he has passed over into parody.

It sounds like i saw them before it turned bad. I just don’t get it. Gospel singers in NIN? WHY?!?!? I saw them in 1994, it was amazing, then in 2005 (it was rubbish and totally put me off them), and then i really enjoyed last year’s show, but he’s totally out of ideas at this point.

I saw them in London a couple of weeks ago - didn’t have the backing singers - actually I was pretty disappointed because I quite liked that bowie/fame esque track on the new one. Excellent live as always

I really liked the new LP, but TBH I can see why some people might not be arsed with it. Really like HTDA, Ghosts & his soundtrack stuff.

I do think post Fragile/sober NIN is a different band in a Joy Division/New Order way.

I couldn’t think of anything remotely controversial, but i watched Moonrise Kingdom, the Wes Anderson film, earlier, and my viewing experience doesn’t reflect the reviews on IMDB at all. They love it, i HATED it!!

In my opinion Anderson made 3 decent films, Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums and Fantastic Mr Fox, the rest is overrated dogshit beloved by people who can’t admit that it’s just The Emperor’s New Clothes. Fuck Wes Anderson, and the fans who inspire him to keep knocking out these films. The good ones were a fluke.

It was a laugh riot, let me tell you. Gospel harmonizing to “Reptile”? Hilarious.

And yes, fuck Wes Anderson too.

It was a laugh riot, let me tell you. Gospel harmonizing to “Reptile”? Hilarious.

Wow, what a weird idea! Glad i missed that one, hehe.

Oh PLEASE tell me they did sweet, melisma-laden gospel vocals on the chorus to “Heresy.” And that at one point they even drop out the instrumentation and just riff on it a capella for a while.

I’m not sure if I can even work up the energy to hate Reznor anymore - it reminds me too much of being at an age where I felt he “ripped off” my best buddies Ogre and Mahtin Ahtkins, and that they should be avenged somehow.

But there is a little truth to that - I think he overplayed his hand a little when he toured with Bowie, because those are two of the greatest examples in pop music history of artists who are only as good as their invisible / un-celebrated collaborators.

The Sex pistols were manufactured and not because Malcolm gave them free clothes. They were literally put together because of their look not because of their playing ability. Sid had no idea how to play the bass and would pretend to tune his bass during songs. That said, I’ll take The pistols over the clash any day. The Clash suck ass!

Back to the Clash for a moment: there was this promo CD of interviews / monologues that all of us employees at Tower got at some point in the late 1990s, when some re-issue program of “the most important band in the world” was underway.

I wish I knew where it was now, because there’s this priceless bit where Joe Strummer is being all “'ard” and talking about this life of squalor he supposedly lived. He helpfully informs us uneducated souls that a squat is a place where people go who don’t live in normal flats, because (and he actually makes a long dramatic pause before saying this) “BEE COS THEY CAHN’T AAH-FOWD TEW!!!”

And here’s a music / film related opinion that regularly loses me friends. I hate hate HATE Martin Scorcese’s habit of piecing together film soundtracks out of pop songs, rather than just hiring someone to write an original score, or (gasp) cutting back on the music altogether.

I mean - did anyone watching ‘Goodfellas’ really think that Donovan’s “Atlantis” heightened the experience of watching Joe Pesci bludgeon someone to death? Or that it was in any way meaningful to the scene at hand? I’d rather hear ominous John Carepenter synth drones anytime…

And here’s a music / film related opinion that regularly loses me friends. I hate hate HATE Martin Scorcese’s habit of piecing together film soundtracks out of pop songs, rather than just hiring someone to write an original score, or (gasp) cutting back on the music altogether.

I mean - did anyone watching ‘Goodfellas’ really think that Donovan’s “Atlantis” heightened the experience of watching Joe Pesci bludgeon someone to death? Or that it was in any way meaningful to the scene at hand? I’d rather hear ominous John Carepenter synth drones anytime…

Ha, weirdly that is one of my favourite bits of Scorsese using a song as soundtrack to the action, i love that bit. I’m a big fan of his not using a normal score, i think it really adds to his films. For some reason he didn’t use much Rolling Stones in The Last Temptation of Christ.