All the With Sympathy Versions

I compiled a list of all the different studio versions of the Arista material.
This includes all the 12"/7" mixes, demos, etc.
This is everything I’ve been able to track down. Of course, I could easily be missing something or have some mistakes here.
It’s easy to lose some passion for the songs 10+ mixes into digging into Work For Love. And a lot of the demo tapes I’ve found over the years are really just repeats of existing mixes or demos, sometimes slightly faster or slower, so you can’t confirm it’s the same mix without some pitch correction. So it’s taken a lot of manual work.
I’ve left off the duplicate names for some of these, since they got renamed on some releases. And I’ve specified additional details in the names for some (i.e. US 12" mix, etc.)

Anyway, enjoy. And if anyone has anything to add, please let me know.

Effigy

1. Effigy [Album Version] (3:51)
  2. Effigy [Hot Tracks Remix] (5:23) – Not official, either a fan or remix service

Revenge

1. Revenge [Album Version] (3:48)
  2. Revenge [Remix] (6:18) – Released on the 2012 With Sympathy rerelease
  3. Revenge [Demo/Piano Mix] (4:38) – From the With Sympathy Demos cassette, later released on Trax Box (has a synth and piano 10 second intro)
  4. Revenge [Demo/Piano Mix Alt] (4:42) – From the Twitch Demos cassette (has a slightly longer piano and synth into, goes through the melody twice instead of just once)
  5. Revenge From The Balcony [Piano Demo] (5:24) – From the “Studio Mixes” cassette (starts with a 30 second piano-only intro)
  6. Revenge From The Balcony [Remix] (4:38) – From the “Studio Mixes” cassette (starts with a 30 second piano-only intro)

I Wanted To Tell Her

1. I Wanted To Tell Her [Album Version] (5:29)
  2. I Wanted To Tell Her [12” Version] (7:11) – Released on the IWTTH 12”
  3. I Wanted To Tell Her [Tongue Tied Mix] (4:48) – Released on the IWTTH 12”
  4. I Wanted To Tell Her [7” Version] (3:55) – Released on the IWTTH/IWTTH (Stuck Stuck) 7"
  5. I Wanted To Tell Her [Stuck Stuck] (3:55) – Released on the IWTTH/IWTTH (Stuck Stuck) 7"
  6. I Wanted To Tell Her [7” Version] (3:49) - Released on the IWTTH/A Walk In The Park 7"
  7. I Wanted To Tell Her [Ultra Hot Razor Cut] (6:02) – Not official, either a fan or remix service
  8. I Wanted To Tell Her [Demo] (6:06) – From the With Sympathy Demos cassette, later released on Trax Box (Starts with the bass intro)
  9. Be Mean To Me [Demo] (5:10) – From the “Studio Mixes” cassette

Work For Love

1. Work For Love [Album Version] (4:44)
  2. Work For Love [12” Mix] (6:19) – Released on the Work For Love US 12"
  3. Work For Love [Short] (3:54) – Released on the Work For Love US 12"
  4. Work For Love [Dub] (6:07) – Released on the Work For Love US 12"
  5. Work For Love [12” Mix] (3:52) – Released on the Work For Love/For Love 12"
  6. For Love [12” Mix] (6:05) – Released on the Work For Love/For Love 12"
  7. Work For Love [7” Mix] (4:02) – Released on the Work For Love/For Love 7"
  8. For Love [7” Mix] (5:08) – Released on the Work For Love/For Love 7"
  9. Work For Love [Special Radio Version] (2:28) – Really just an edit that fades out during the bridge section
  10. Work For Love [Hot Tracks Remix] (6:38) – Not official, either a fan or remix service
  11. Work For Love [Demo] (3:51) – From the With Sympathy Demos cassette, later released on Trax Box (Starts with “You’ve got to work for love)
  12. Work For Love [Short Mix Alt] (3:46) – From “The Ministry” cassette and the Twitch Demos (Similar to the released short mix, starts with guitar, ends with fade out, same “you don’t have what it takes” as the Short mix, but no female vocals until 2:30)
  13. Work For Love [Demo] (3:45) – From “The Ministry” cassette (Similar to the released short mix, starts with guitar, ends with fade out, Shay Jones says “Cause you ain’t got what it takes” in the breakdown part)
  14. Work For Love [US 12” Edit] (6:16) – From the “Rough Mixes Boston” cassette (Same as the US 12” version but without the “You’ve got to work for love” at the start)

Here We Go

1. Here We Go [Album Version] (3:21)
  2. Here We Go [Demo] (3:25) – From the Boston Rough Mixes cassette

What He Say

1. What He Say [Album Version] (4:04)
  2. What He Say [Demo] (4:58) – From the Boston Rough Mixes cassette

Say You’re Sorry

1. Say You’re Sorry [Album Version] (4:18)
  2. Say You’re Sorry [Demo] (4:19) – From the “Rough Mixes Boston” cassette

Should Have Known Better

1. Should Have Known Better [Album Version] (4:32)

She’s Got A Cause

1. She’s Got A Cause [Album Version] (3:33)
  2. She’s Got A Cause [Demo] (3:50) – From the With Sympathy Demos cassette, later released on Trax Box. You can tell it’s the same vocal take because of the cough at 0:17. Longer fade-out
  3. She’s Got A Cause [12” Version] (4:04) – From the “Studio Mixes” cassette (Different synths, Has the final verse cut from the album version, longer intro, no cough)
  4. She’s Got A Cause [Remix] (3:52) – From the “Studio Mixes” cassette (different arrangement in the middle, missing the last verse, the cough is at 0:23)

A Walk In The Park

1. A Walk In The Park (4:56) – Released on the IWTTH 12”

Same Old Madness

1. Same Old Madness [Video Version] (3:39) – Released on the Same Old Madness Video (“Nuclear Age” and “Reagan” lyrics, only synth at the start)
  2. Same Old Madness (5:40) – Released on Trax Box (“Nuclear Age” and “Reagan” lyrics, synth and drums at the very start)
  3. Same Old Madness [Demo 1982/12” version] (5:59) – From the With Sympathy Demos cassette, later released on Trax Box (“Modern Age” and “Old man” lyrics, synth and drums at the very start, several 80’s remix chops and tricks)
  4. Same Old Madness [Demo] (5:38) – From the “Studio Mixes” cassette (“Modern Age” and “Old man” lyrics, Similar to the Demo 1982 but without the remix cut ups)
  5. Same Old Madness [Demo] (6:03) – From the “Studio Mixes” cassette (“Modern Age” and “Old man” lyrics, only synth for the first 20 seconds but different synth sound than the video version)
8 Likes

Great job compiling all of this!

I’ve heard most of the demos over the years and you’re right -it’s hard to spot some of the differences unless you do an A/B comparisons.

Sounds like you noticed some cool tidbits in the later versions She’s Got A Cause, I’ll have to check that one out again.

I’ll take some time tomorrow and see what I can remember on some of these.

2 Likes

I pulled this from Discogs…“All” physical releases:

|With SympathyLP, Album|Arista – 205 306|Germany|1983|
|Work For LoveLP, Album|Arista – 205 306|UK|1983|
|Work For LoveLP, Album|Arista – 205 306|Europe|1983|
|Work For LoveLP, Album|Arista – 205 306|Germany|1983|
|With Sympathy = ミニストリー・ショックLP, Album, Stereo|Arista – 25RS-192|Japan|1983|
|With SympathyLP, Album, Promo|Arista – 25RS-192|Japan|1983|
With SympathyCassette, Album, Stereo|Arista – 25RT-78|Japan|1983|
|Work For LoveCassette, Album|Arista – 405 306|Germany|1983|
|With SympathyCassette, Album, Dolby System|Arista – AC 6-8016, Arista – AC6 8016|US|1983|
|With SympathyCassette, Album, Dolby|Arista – AC6-8016, Arista – ATC 6608|US|1983|
|With SympathyLP, Album|Arista – AL 6-8016|US|1983|
|With SympathyLP, Album|Arista – AL 6608|US|1983|
|With SympathyLP, Album|Arista – AL 6608|Canada|1983|
|With SympathyLP, Album, Test Pressing|Arista – AL 6608|US|1983|
|With SympathyCassette, Album|Arista – AL46-8016|Canada|1983|
|With SympathyLP, Album|Arista – ARI 90063|Netherlands|1983|
|With SympathyLP, Album|Arista – ARI 90063|Scandinavia|1983|
|With SympathyLP, Album|Arista – ASTJ 142|US|1983|
|With SympathyCassette, Album, Special Limited Edition|Arista – ATC 6608|Canada|1983|
|Work For LoveCassette, Album|Arista – C 38033|New Zealand|1983|
|With SympathyLP, Album|Arista – I-205 306|Spain|1983|
|With SympathyLP, Album|Arista – L 38033|Australia|1983|
|With SympathyLP, Album, White Label|Arista – L 38033|Australia|1983|
|Work For LoveLP, Album|Arista – L 38033|New Zealand|1983|
|MinistryCassette, Album|Arista – L4ASTJ 142|South Africa|1983|
|MinistryCassette, Album|Arista – none|US|1983|
|With SympathyLP, Album|Arista – RTLP-16036|Philippines|1983|
|With SympathyCassette, Album, Reissue|Arista – AC 6-8016|US|1985|
|With SympathyCassette, Album, Reissue, Dolby System|Arista – AC 6-8016, Arista – AC 6 8016|US|1985|
|Work For LoveCD, Album, Reissue|Arista – 255 306|Europe|1992|
|Work For LoveCassette, Album, Unofficial Release|MG Records (2) – MG 2805-1908|Poland|1992|
|Work For LoveCD, Album, Unofficial Release|Спюрк – none|Russia|1998|
|With SympathyCD, Album, Remastered, Reissue|Eastworld Recordings – EW0103CD|UK|2012|
|Work For LoveCD, Album, Reissue, Super Jewel Box|Music On CD – MOCCD 13115|Netherlands|2014|
|With SympathyLP, Album, Reissue, 180 Gram|Music On Vinyl – MOVLP1512|Europe|2015|
|With SympathyLP, Album, Limited Edition, Numbered, Reissue, Stereo, Red, 180g|Music On Vinyl – MOVLP1512, Arista – MOVLP1512|Europe|2019|
|With SympathyLP, Album, Reissue, 180 Gram|Music On Vinyl – MOVLP1512, Arista – MOVLP1512|Europe|2019|
|Work For LoveLP, Album, Reissue, Stereo|Arista – 205 306|Europe||
|Work For LoveCD, Album, Reissue|Arista – 255 306|Europe||
|With SympathyCassette, Album, Reissue|Arista – AC-8016|Canada||
|With SympathyLP, Album, Repress|Arista – AL 6-8016|US||
|With SympathyCD, Album, Reissue|Arista – ARCD 8016, Arista – ARCD-8016|US||
|With SympathyCD, Album, Reissue, Remastered|Arista – ARCD 8016, Arista – ARCD-8016|US||
|With SympathyCD, Album, Reissue, Remastered|Arista – ARCD 8016, Arista – ARCD-8016|Canada||
|With SympathyCD, Album, Reissue, Remastered, Repress, Disctronics H|Arista – ARCD 8016, Arista – ARCD-8016|US||
|With SympathyCD, Album, Reissue, Remastered, Sonopress, Purple Printed On Disc|Arista – ARCD 8016, Arista – ARCD-8016|US||
|With SympathyCassette, Album, Unofficial Release|MG Records (2) – MG 1972|Poland||
|Work For LoveCassette, Album, Unofficial Release|MG Records (2) – MG 2805-1908|Poland||
|Work For LoveCD, Album, Reissue|Music On CD – MOCCD 13115, Sony Music – MOCCD 13115, Arista – MOCCD 13115+1 more label…|Netherlands||
|With SympathyCassette, Album, Unofficial Release|Piggymot Records – 1223|Russia||

2 Likes

Yeah, but my list was more of a list of the different versions for each song.
There are so many different versions of the singles and of the demos that it’s tough to keep track.
Some versions are really different and others only have slight differences.

4 Likes

Here’s what I can recall on all the different versions. Unless noted these are all based on the same performances and vocal takes found on the album versions. I highlighted different performances in bold to distinguish them. I left off time durations, promo edits and remix services. Bisquit has all of that covered in his post above.

EFFIGY
-The album version is the only official mix out there (that we know of anyways). The live 1982 version is sort of like a demo in a way, since it predates the album version.

REVENGE

1. Demo version (aka Revenge from the Balcony) Appears on Trax! Box. This has piano type sounds that were later replaced with the Roland (Juno?) bell sounds on the album version. It also has extra lyrics and vocal parts that were trimmed down for the album version. There’s a few different demo variations on this one with shorter/longer intros. One of them has 30 seconds of unique piano playing before the song kicks in.

2. Album version

3. 12" version (not actually on the 12", but was a bonus track on the 2012 re-release). An extended version with remixed parts and features the full set of vocals/lyrics. The 83/84 live cuts are all based on this version.

I WANTED TO TELL HER

1. Primental (on the I’m Falling 12")

2. Be Mean To Me (Demo)- The exact same performance heard on Primental, but the wavy synth parts are removed and has Shay Jones’ vocal parts, which are exactly the same as the album version. This doesn’t have the chorus parts or any of the additional keyboards, guitars, etc. found on the album version. Al’s part is just “Be Mean To Me/That’s What She Wants” which are spoken in a few spots throughout the track.

3. I Wanted To Tell Her (Demo)- almost exactly the same as the US album version, but has some longer instrumental sections. This version was released on Trax Box!, there’s a variation of this demo where the third chorus is a littler shorter and there’s a small instrumental bit prior to the outro.

4. US album version (EU album releases use the UK short mix, see below)

5. 12" Extended Mix: An entirely re-recorded version of the song. It features additional lyrics/vocals and longer instrumental sections.

6. UK short/7" mix. This is an edit of the re-recorded version. It appears on all vinyl editions of the “Work For Love” album (which is With Sympathy retitled for the EU) as well as all UK/EU 7" single releases.

7. Dub Version aka “Tongue Tied Mix” aka “Stuck Stuck Stuck”. A dub mixe that uses the re-recorded version as the foundation.

8. US 7" mix-a shortened edit of the US album version.

A WALK IN THE PARK

1. B-side to some versions of I Wanted To Tell Her and also appears on the 2012 With Sympathy re-release.

WORK FOR LOVE

1. Short Version aka Demo Version. Appears on the US 12" and Trax Box!, this version does not appear on any releases outside of the US. It starts with the female backing vocals, has extra lyrics in the bridge (not found on the album version) and longer vocal parts in the ending of the track. There’s an alternate demo where the female vocals are missing in the intro, but is otherwise identical.

2. UK 7" version-This one can only be found on the UK 7". (the other EU 7" releases use the album version instead). This version is similar to the Short Version, but starts with the main guitar riffs, has a slightly different mix, the bridge vocals and lyrics are different takes and are slightly different. The outro section and vocals have the same layout as the album version.

3. Work For Love (Demo) this is almost the same as the UK 7" version, but is missing some of the keyboard parts, and has different vocal takes here and there. As Bisquit pointed out-this version has Shay Jones in the bridge, while other versions have (I think) Marybeth O’ Hara.

4. Work For Love (Extended Version) found on all 12" releases. Has the same mix as the album version, but has a longer intro that starts with the female vocals, and a longer instrumental bridge. There is a variation where the female vocals are missing in the intro, but is otherwise identical.

5. Album version

6. Work For Love (Dub Version) aka For Love. A dub version. The live versions from 83/84 use the intro from this, and then the layout of the Extended version.

7. For Love [7" version]. The same as above, just a shorter edit. This version only appears on the UK 7" release.

HERE WE GO

1. Album version

2. Demo version-some different keyboard performances here and there. Features additional lyrics in the outro in the track that don’t appear in the album version. Appears on Ultimate Rarest Tracks.

WHAT HE SAY

1. Album version

2. Demo version- has a longer intro, and keyboards instead of horns throughout the track. Appears on Ultimate Rarest Trax.

SAY YOU’RE SORRY

1. Album version

2. Demo version-an earlier mix that is missing some vocal overdubs and features someone other than Doreen Chanter on backing vocals. Appears on Ultimate Rarest Trax.

SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER

1. The album version is the only known version (as of right now).

SHE’S GOT A CAUSE

1. Early version, which is an entirely different performance. It is more stripped down compared to later versions and features the full set of lyrics, which can also be found on the 1981 live version on Ultimate Rarest Trax. I think this version was meant for the unreleased She’s Got A Cause/Same Old Madness single, but I have not been able to confirm that.

2. Demo version- Found on Trax! Box, almost exactly the same as the album version. The mixing on the drum is a “hair” different to my ears, and the song has a longer fade out with a repeating chorus. There is an alternate demo that has a longer intro, a longer middle section and is missing some of the keyboard parts.

3. Album version

SAME OLD MADNESS

** All three versions below are entirely different performances.**

1. Original version- This one only appears on Trax! Box disc 1. It follows the same arrangement as the live versions, The Pro-One sequences have a very “16-bit” feel to them. I think this one was meant for the She’s Got A Cause/Same Old Madness single, but I have not been able to confirm that.

2. Video version- a much shorter performance of the track which was made exclusively for the music video.

3. Demo version-A more polished version recorded during the With Sympathy sessions. Officially released on Trax Box. This one features a long arrangement and a remixed middle section, which implies it may have been meant for a 12" release as some point. This one also features some melodic guitar work by Walter Turbit. There’s a couple of early mixes that are out there. One is almost exactly the same, but is missing Walter’s guitar parts and the remixed middle section. Another is missing the same parts, but features the longer intro found in the live versions.

3 Likes

Wow. It’s crazy how many versions some of these have. You guys have really done your homework. I’ll be studying this.

2 Likes

Just downloaded this folder, currently blasting it on my studio monitors

2 Likes

Looking through this, the one I really want to hear is the 12” version of She’s Got A Cause with the extra verse. Is this available online anywhere?

2 Likes

Sampling:

4 Likes