Aimee Mann and Ministry

I’ve seen this mentioned in a few articles over the years (including Wikipedia), but when exactly was Aimee Mann part of Ministry? Was this just for a few live performances back when the band was recording “With Sympathy” in Boston in 1982/83? What vocal parts or instruments would she have been playing then?

Loved her in portlandia!!

She did some songs for that movie Magnolia. A lot of people didn’t like that flick, but I thought it was pretty good.

2 Likes

They dated for a bit.

2 Likes

Yeah they had a relationship that was apparently short-lived…

1 Like

I don’t think she was ever a part of Ministry. She dated Al for a little while when Ministry was based in Boston. In Al’s book he claims “Voices Carry” was written about him, but that seems really unlikely. Someone once posted another 'Til Tuesday song where Al being the subject would make a lot more sense, but I don’t recall what song it was.
They performed onstage together at a charity concert about 10 years ago, but as far as I know that’s the only time they actually made music together.
If Wempathy pops in here I’m sure he can correct me if I’m wrong.

2 Likes

I only met her a couple of times that I can recall. Once in the downstairs lounge at the studio where a few people were gathered to listen to a tape of songs she had and once at lunch in a place down the street from the studio. I think she may have been at a house party at the Chilton Hilton in Cambridge too. From my perspective she only existed outside the arc of Ministry at the time but I wasn’t always around either.

5 Likes

Isn’t Voices Cary about domestic abuse? Why would Al want to claim that some was about him lol??

1 Like

I liked that movie too. Pretty fuckin raw flick!

Love that one hit her husband had.

No Joke…

1 Like

Michael Penn’s “March” album (1990) featuring “No Myth” and “This & That”

Great tunes!

1 Like

It’s also been claimed that it was originally written about a lesbian relationship.
My guess is Al just claimed it because it’s her most popular song and he’s never bothered listening to the lyrics.

Aimee Mannn is a nihilist.