Industrial Accident: The Wax Trax Records Story

Saw the screening of the Wax Trax documentary in Nashville last night. Highly recommended. It’s really well-done, and does a great job telling Jim and Danny’s story. We got a Q&A with Julia and Groovie as well. The theater was much more full than I thought it would be. Had no idea there were a decent number of old-school WT fans in town. Had a really good time and would definitely recommend checking it out.

And as a bonus, there were some really cool things used as songs during the film. Not sure how many of those will be on the “soundtrack” that will eventually be given out to backers, but here’s hoping…

Anyone else check out any of the recent showings?

1 Like

I caught it last November here, just prior to Cold Waves LA.

Great flick, so happy to finally see it. I was a Wax Trax nerd through and through. (Was a backer too)

I was a Wax Trax nerd back in the day too.
I liked back in that time how there were certain labels that many of us would follow and have an allegiance to.

Up through the 90’s I would literally buy anything put out on Wax Trax or Alternative Tentacles. I didn’t even have to know anything about the band. I just trusted it would be something interesting and/or enjoyable.

I discovered so many cool bands through those labels.

Saw both showings when it debuted in Chicago. Good fun!
I especially like the stories re: Big Sexy Land and Laibach.

I watched it in L.A. last year during Cold Waves, and it’s one of those films that you don’t want to end. It could easily be stretched out into a multi-episode season. I remember Julia mentioning something about tons of “b-roll” footage that could surface as bonus material down the road. I cannot wait for an official release.

I think my only VERY MINOR complaint was that I wanted to hear more song clips from more WT bands in the film. I can’t remember the exact soundtrack any more, but recall feeling like they left out some important songs from the catalog. I’m sure it’s probably a pain in the ass to arrange and edit a music doc, and maybe there were some clearance issues, who knows? Maybe I just wanted more, because it was so good.

I don’t know how much longer this renaissance with the label will last, but I am hoping that Julia and co. will be able to give us this doc and Retrospectacle, before it is over for good.

I watched it in L.A. last year during Cold Waves, and it’s one of those films that you don’t want to end. It could easily be stretched out into a multi-episode season. I remember Julia mentioning something about tons of “b-roll” footage that could surface as bonus material down the road. I cannot wait for an official release.

Agreed! There appears to be a treasure trove of live performances that hopefully one day we will see in their entirety. Still waiting for the remainder of that high-quality 1984 Ministry show in Boston to get posted or released.

industrial music has been running for many years without a mission statement. its annoying.

Finally had my opportunity to see this doc last night. It was great and really well done. We had Julia and Jello doing the introduction and also a brief Q&A afterwards.
As a backer on the kickstarter campaign, I was definitely wondering if it would ever see the light of day. Great job by Julia and all involved.

I’m guessing there is still no streaming/DVD date for this thing…

Most recent email update is it’ll be on Bluray or DVD in April 2019. Soundtrack out around that time too.

Ok cool…thanks…I will definitely be grabbing a copy when it comes out…

industrial music has been running for many years without a mission statement. its annoying.

I don’t know if this is brilliant, stupid, random nonsense or all of the above, but it’s seriously the funniest thing I’ve read in a long time.

I think if you just extract the word “brilliant” from your statement,you will have your answer…

Saw this on Saturday in Denver. Really enjoyed it. I thought it provided some interesting insights into the evolution of the store in Denver, the move to Chicago, the record label, etc. Much more focus on the relationship between Jim & Danny than I was expecting. However, given that Jim’s daughter directed it not too surprising.

Jello Biafra, Julia, the current Wax Trax Denver owner and Groovie Mann were there on Saturday. The QA after with all of them was fun. I’m hoping someone on this board went to the Friday screening in Denver that Al was at. Apparently, he broke a microphone, shoved another up his ass and showed everyone his dick. Sounded like quite the evening.

I think if you just extract the word “brilliant” from your statement,you will have your answer…

say…panorama-lure…you are not really bringing anything to the table for me to digest…i would like something to chew on. you are in need of opposition. the crave it. but you dont have a clear finger to point at. now i live fingers. i can tell you exactly where to put them. pm me for details.

say…panorama-lure…you are not really bringing anything to the table for me to digest…i would like something to chew on. you are in need of opposition. the crave it. but you dont have a clear finger to point at. now i live fingers. i can tell you exactly where to put them. pm me for details.

So, do you or do you not have some information for us about Al’s coofin guitars? In colors. I only seen the white ones.

[reply]I think if you just extract the word “brilliant” from your statement,you will have your answer…

say…panorama-lure…you are not really bringing anything to the table for me to digest…i would like something to chew on. you are in need of opposition. the crave it. but you dont have a clear finger to point at. now i live fingers. i can tell you exactly where to put them. pm me for details.[/reply]

The crave it?..is that a new band?..

[reply]

So, do you or do you not have some information for us about Al’s coofin guitars? In colors. I only seen the white ones.[/reply]

2019 models will run in panzy democrat pink stink, no good commie red and granola goth offset grey. but keep this on the down low… the paint hasnt been mixed yet, subject to change or THE change, what ever is going on in uncle al’s mangina.

[reply]I think if you just extract the word “brilliant” from your statement,you will have your answer…

say…panorama-lure…you are not really bringing anything to the table for me to digest…i would like something to chew on. you are in need of opposition. the crave it. but you dont have a clear finger to point at. now i live fingers. i can tell you exactly where to put them. pm me for details.[/reply]

And also what exactly is it like to live fingers? Just asking since apparently I don’t have clear fingers…whatever the fuck that means…

"They call 'em fingers, but I’ve never seen them fing…

…oh, wait, there they go."