Download - the band

I’ve never really listened to them, where should I start?

My favorite is III from 1997…

Depends on what you like, but I’d recommend Furnace, Eyes Of Stanley Pain, or III as good starting points for the early stuff. The later stuff is too stoner-techno for me. But if that’s your jam, then anything after 2000 will probably make you quite happy.

The Eyes of Stanley Pain is my favorite. If you like noisy electronics, that’s the one.

I haven’t cared for much of the recent stuff.

This was a group I neglected for ages. Stanley Pain was a good album I recently tracked down, kicking myself for not getting into them earlier.

Glassblower blew me away, noisy little industrial jam.

Eyes of Stanley Pain is probably the best place to start. Effector is probably my second favorite.

Thanks so much, prongers.

FURNACE: dark, brooding atmospheric sounds - mostly with no vocals - it’s what I figure Lustmord would be doing if he went a more mainstream, ‘techno’ route

EYES OF STANLEY PAIN: a favorite to many fans…it’s got a lot of styles, but their heaviness and beat-heavy

III: very IDM and chill, elements of heaviness here and there but a total ‘mood music’ album. Only listen to it as a whole, as it doesn’t have the same effect piece-meal.

EFFECTOR: straight up ambient with more straight-forward techno elements. very influenced by hallucinogens to my knowledge, at least from Phil Western’s take on it when I asked him about it.

INCEPTION: my second favorite. it’s their ‘demos’ when they first started, but a perfect transition piece from FURNACE to EOSP in tone and presentation…

FIXER: killer techno, nothing else to add. play loud and on a good hifi! look for the speaker wobbles [laugh] it’s probably their most mainstream release, if one can call it that…also features Otto Von Schirach and Mark Spybey (again).

HELICOPTER: not into it. I only like a few songs. Key and Western get into this ‘bleep bloop’ mode with newer equipment at the time and the brappage just doesn’t work. also hear it as a whole…alas it’s just not for me.

LINGAM: have not hear it yet.

Looking forward to UNKNOWN ROOM…

oh and also, please buy Phil’s stuff from bandcamp. all proceeds go to his daughter since his death, and they’re CHEAP! $35 gets you a couple dozen of his releases, plus all Download releases from 1995-1997…whatta deal
http://philwestern.bandcamp.com

We run into Otto Von Shirach all the time down here in Miami…he is an interesting dude to say the least…his live shows are all kinds of fun too…saw him many times…Cevin was at one show at a dive called Churchills having a good time watching his friend…

Gave “Eyes of Stanley Pain” one pass this morning. Good stuff. I’m almost positive that puppy gristle tune is on the intro of the live skinny puppy dvd Greater wrong or the right… or maybe it’s some other “live braps”, but i’m almost positive i’ve heard some pieces somewhere.

I’m going to give it another spin and they another. thanks again dudes.

Stanley Pain is also my favorite.

Worth noting that “Outafter” is a Skinny Puppy track that was originally slated for the Crow soundtrack; probably for the best that it was released this way instead. Good track but not a good intro to Puppy for the Hot Topic kids listening to the soundtrack.

Stanley Pain is also my favorite.

Worth noting that “Outafter” is a Skinny Puppy track that was originally slated for the Crow soundtrack; probably for the best that it was released this way instead. Good track but not a good intro to Puppy for the Hot Topic kids listening to the soundtrack.

There’s a weird backstory to this, though I don’t know how true it is. Evidently, this was knee-deep into the sessions for the Process, and there were vocals for this track to put on said LP. Ogre was evidently heavily into and/or influenced by black metal (?!) and cEvin/DRG were more into the “techno” vein, and the latter won out and scapped the vocals.

C’est la vie

Interesting! And also tracks with other stuff I’ve heard over the years about the friction during that album’s sessions - with Ogre pulling more towards a rock/metal approach but cEvin and especially Dwayne loathing heavy ‘guitar’ music and trying to go more in that Warp Records direction.

Would love to hear the demo vocals on that if they still exist in any form. Ah well.