With Sympathy - 40th Anniversary Thread

I criticized the phony British accent and no I don’t worship the slew of 70s rock bands that faked southern accents…in fact,I don’t worship anything…I criticized it cuz it sounds fucking corny as shit to my ears…end of story…

1 Like

I will agree the faux accent is a bit corny at times, but so is the cookie monster vocal style of later albums. I suppose we need to choose our corny accordingly.

3 Likes

Yeah you have a point…

1 Like

Guy… Europeans faking southern accents is corny too.

1 Like

Don’t call me guy,buddy…

1 Like

1 Like

2 Likes

February 19, 1983: “Work For Love” debuts on the Billboard Dance Club Chart

Did anyone ever here this song on the radio or in a club back then?

2 Likes

Funny enough, “Reload” is the only Ministry track I’ve ever heard on the radio. Sometimes Spirit of Halloween will play “Halloween”.

1 Like

Actually, the first time I heard Ministry was on the radio. Nursing Home, in an “alternative music” show on a public radio station (good use of tax payers money).
I recorded the song on tape, loved it, and a few weeks later bought the CD.

3 Likes

I’ve heard a few tunes on terrestrial radio back in the day when they came out & more recently with satellite radio…Halloween, Just one fix, Lay Lady Lay, JBMHR, Effigy, I wanted to tell her, Thunderstruck.

2 Likes

I’m sure everyone has heard this classic 1983 interview as part of the “With Sympathy” promotions.

Ministry 1983 interview with Richard Skinner

Al covers a variety of topics in the interview including his record contract negotiations and the mainstreaming of alternative music.

A few years ago I about fell out of my chair when I was watching the 2018 “Bohemian Rhapsody” film and Richard Skinner’s name came up in the subtitles during the Live Aid 1985 concert scenes. I thought he was a complete fabrication.

2 Likes

NWO, Fix and Hotrod were radio staples in '92 around here when Psalm dropped. I’ve also heard Halloween on the air.

There was a Canadian station that would occasionally play Burning Inside and Thieves as well.

2 Likes

Like prologue said ,I remember hearing the big songs from Psalm back in the day when the record came out …aside from that I’ve never heard them on the radio…not even on Sirius xm

Such a great interview. I still have my cassette that came with the I Wanted To Tell Her 7".

I also have a Nine Inch Nails Interview CD with Richard Skinner. Trent cited Ministry as an influence and Richard Skinner mentioned his interview with Al. Kind of a cool connection there.

2 Likes

Just received some cool info:

Rob (Wempathy/Wempathos on this board) will be a guest on WDBX 91.1 FM radio later today at 6pm CT discussing the 40th anniversary of “With Sympathy” (released on May 10, 1983) and presumably playing some early Ministry tracks on the “80s Hades” show.

You can listen live at WDBX 91.1 FM Radio - Carbondale, IL

The show will also be archived and available for replay for two weeks. (same website)

3 Likes

I looked…I don’t see or hear anything? Can you pick it out for us?

1 Like

WDBX radio show archive

Try the above link and look for the “80s Hades” show replay with Dr. Incognito on May 9, 2023. The last five minutes of the show (when “Overkill” was being played) rolls over to the next show. Here is the playlist:

1. Joy Division - “Day of the Lords”
  2. Ministry - “Effigy (I’m Not An)”
  3. Japan - “The Art of Parties”
  4. Tuxedomoon - “What Use?”
  5. Ministry - “She’s Got A Cause”
    (First interview break)
  6. Depeche Mode - “Puppets”
  7. A Certain Ratio - “Shack Up (live)”
  8. Ministry - “A Walk In The Park”
    (Second interview break)
  9. The Pop Group - “Where There’s A Will”
  10. Medium Medium - “Hungry, So Angry”
  11. Ministry - “Primental”
    (Third interview break)
  12. The Gap Band - “Burn Rubber”
  13. Ministry - “Work For Love” (live in Los Angeles 1983)
  14. Gang Of Four - “A Hole In The Wallet”
  15. Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - “Messages” (Peel Session)
  16. Grauzone - “Eisbar”
    (Fourth interview break)
  17. Bauhaus - “Kick In The Eye”
  18. Ministry - “Hardman” (live in Los Angeles 1983)
  19. Ministry - “Overkill” (live in Chicago 1982)

Note: Ministry - “Revenge” and Public Image Ltd. “Public Image” were also on the playlist, but they weren’t played (presumably due to running out of time).

2 Likes

THX. I listened and I appreciate u giving us a heads up!

2 Likes

Precisely.

Great fun talking with the Doctor. I met him at the local Farmer’s Market a couple of years ago. He was wearing a Slits t-shirt. I told him I didn’t expect to see anyone in a Slit t-shirt at the Farmer’s Market. He told me he didn’t expect to meet anyone who knew who the Slits were. But this is a college town so you never know.

5 Likes