Misfits/Samhain/Danzig

Slightly off topic…can anyone tell me about Samhain; I mean I know it’s way more “raw” than Danzig and even some Misfits; just loud punk. Any recommendations?

Samhain sounds like Danzig demos that generally have faster bpm. I would start with either Final Descent or November Coming Fire and then Initum. (You can skip Unholy Passion, it’s basically an EP for Final Descent) Good luck finding them though because people want an arm and a leg for them on Ebay because they’ve been out of print for quite sometime now. If you can get 'em for 20$ a piece consider that a good price. Unholy Passion is on ebay right now (4 songs) 25 and 45 $ with still some time to go before bidding is over. November Coming Fire is 10.50 but there’s still 9 days of bidding to go.

What Grmpy said. Alternately, you can think of it as a slower, grimier, gloomier Misfits with keyboards. It really does kinda bridge the gap between bands and Samhain itself gradually changed over the course of its existence (their final album basically morphed into the sessions for the first Danzig album).

Pissed at myself for selling the boxset I had, with all their albums + the shitty live video and weird comic book about the band fucking a girl to death.

It’s interesting to hear Twist of Cain from Samhain, after knowing the Danzig version. I like the edgy sound of it, whereas the Danzig, more refined and well produced. It’s almost like listening to a demo of what the final version ended up being (Possession too).

Thanks for the suggestions. Will check it out.

How is Danzig’s stuff after Lucifuge/4?

you’re right Samhain is very much unpolished Danzig

Danzig, Danzig II “Lucifuge,” Danzig III “How the Gods Kill,” Danzig “4p” are all solid Gold you can’t go wrong with any of those albums. After “4p” though it’s really hit or miss. For my 2 cents the next best two albums after the “4p” are Deth Red Sabaoth and Black Laden Crown with BLC being the better of the two.

The albums from Danzig 5 up to Circle Of Snakes have decent songs here and there but nothing fantastic. Danzig 5 “BlackAcidEvil” and Danzig 6:66 “Satans Child” he tried techno and it ges about as well as yuo would expect, and Danzig 777 “I Luciferi” and Circle Of Snakes are very Nu Metal. Deth Red Sabaoth and Black Laden Crown are a return to the hard rock roots from Danzig 1-4

I checked Discogs you can get the Samhain CDs for a little over 20 bucks there. If you’re looking for specific songs to try I would say try:

Unholy Passion
The Hungry End
I Am Misery
Mother Of Mercy
To Walk The Night
Human Pony Girl
Archangel

Ja, I left Danzig after 4p; was really into them up until them. The bluesy-metal sound and obviously his voice. I gave up on them after them but then dove into other unrelated genres. Though, I did like his track Thirteen but yeah…Thanks for the recommendations! Will check it out.

btw, what are John Christ, Chuck Biscuits and Erie doing nowadays? They had cool stuff going…

Yeah that’s off of 6. Danzig wrote 13 for Johnny Cash and Johnny Cash actually sings it on one of his albums (the legend of johnny cash I think) Though I prefer the Danzig version. Come To Silver is another really good one off of 5.

John Christ is teaching guitar at a community college or at least was. He was in a horrific car crash and damn near died right after being in Danzig. Eerie had a solo thing going which was really good but I understand his last album is straight up country and kinda left the horror genre thing behind. Biscuits started playing with social distortion but was quickly dismissed and no one knows anything about biscuits other than he didn’t die of throat cancer from a few years back

Danzig 5 is super cheesy and dated and a very bandwagony stab at the 90s NIN-style industrial rock thing that just doesn’t work. Couple good songs but overall a mess. His next few after that refine the industrial metal part of it to be a bit less obnoxious/song-hijacking, and he does take on a bit of that chugga-chugga nu-metal sound and production style, but there’s still plenty of good material even if it’s definitely a step down from his classic lineup era. 2010s Danzig has been a step back in the right direction.

I used to be a Danzig 1-4 purest, but I truly appreciate everything now. Yeah, there’s some songs I hate, but overall it’s a really entertaining and interesting catalog.

Danzig 5 is what turned me off and put me on a 15 year strike, haha. What got me back was “Deth Red Saboath” and seeing him live in 2013 (with Grumpy).

I listen to Samhain the least of the three (Misfits, Samhain, Danzig) but there’s some great stuff there. I personally prefer NOVEMBER COMING FIRE over any of the other releases. Anyone interested should listen to what they can on YouTube first since everything is outta print and costs an arm and a leg anyway.

Just saw the original lineup last saturday. They were great! they played half of the legacy of brutality album. Danzig’s voice was in beautiful shape and they just sounded tight as hell. if you can get out to see them you should.

Yeah, where were you? Me and Gunnar were down in the pit!

I was two tiers up with my wife. We couldnt get those pit tickets. I was texting gunnar we saw him go in to the pit (cant miss that hair and his vest)