TOOL

We’ve had a Maynard thread. Now we need a Tool thread. We need one like there’s no tomorrow. And now that the Opiate re-issue is upon us (and about two weeks away in the post for me!!) there has never been a better time than now to discuss all things Tool.

[image]http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq112/corinthiansbucket/Opiate011.jpg[/image]

Behold it’s brilliance!

And now discuss their glory…

Is there anything new to re-issue besides the extra/different packaging? Remaster? Extra tracks? anything like that?
Late,
grmpysmrf

That’s cool that you got your hands on one, I suppose. Are you an avid collector or…? I’m just curious why anyone would buy this. Not trying to be a dick. I honestly don’t understand the appeal to this particular reissue.

You know what would have been a pretty cool addition (aside from remastering it) though? Adding studio versions of the live tracks from the original on it as well.

Is there anything new to re-issue besides the extra/different packaging? Remaster? Extra tracks? anything like that?
Late,
grmpysmrf

Nope. Just new artwork.

I really have a hard time understanding how someone.could be willing to throw away 150 on a whim like that. For Opiate, of all things. Its hardly a release I’d consider “influencial”.

Have you seen their VIP packages for their next string of shows.

opiate is an amazing album. having said that, i wouldn’t drop money to re-purchase the album. they’re rich enough.

wikipedia says new features are artwork… and limit of 5k copies. whats the point? i mean, at least it could feature the original ‘72826’ demo tape or some additional tracks… and "remaster"ing would just brickwall it to death.

It’s just the same 92 recording but repackaged. I think it’s a ripoff. The 5000 that bought it probably beg to differ. What really irks me is the fact that some people bought three copies.

Hahaha, I love the wiki page section on the limited edition: “… It will include bonus features, such as new artwork.”

I disagree that remastering would brickwall the album. If they do it with care it could sound great. But the fact that this is literally the same fucking album you can buy for like $8 with some stickers and shit and costs almost 20x more is fucking outrageous.

It’s actually a good thing that they didn’t remaster it. Nowadays it’s trendy to remaster something just for the hell of it, but most of the time the engineer just runs it through a compressor and adds a few extra DB just to make it sound as louder.

Remastering for a new format: Makes Sense.

Remastering because there was something legitimately wrong with the original release: Makes Sense.

Remastering to make it sound louder and punchier like everyone else’s poorly mastered piles of crap: Pointless.

It’s actually a good thing that they didn’t remaster it. Nowadays it’s trendy to remaster something just for the hell of it, but most of the time the engineer just runs it through a compressor and adds a few extra DB just to make it sound as louder.

Remastering for a new format: Makes Sense.

Remastering because there was something legitimately wrong with the original release: Makes Sense.

Remastering to make it sound louder and punchier like everyone else’s poorly mastered piles of crap: Pointless.

Remastering it because it sounds kind of thin and would at least give some incentive to spend $150 on this pile of shit (I still wouldn’t pay that much for that crap): Makes sense.

Any actual extra to the product would be a benefit to this sort of whoring. A turd in a zip-lock bag from Maynard would suffice most die hard fans. But some stickers and fucking packaging made on a “Heidelberg Cylinder Press” (who gives a flying fuck?) isn’t enough reason. Oh, yeah and you get some ticket of authenticity too. You know, just in case people don’t believe that you spent too much money on something worthless.

And don’t you also get a USB drive? The fuck do you need that for? You already have the CD. What is the point? To rip the album to your computer and then drop the files back onto the USB? Why? None of it makes sense because it’s not about making sense it’s about making money. This coming from a band who is so pretentious and all about their sacred “art” to the point that it’s nauseating.

Wasn’t there also some lame ticket involved? Like some Willy Wonka shit? You get the one with the ticket and you get something cool. Well, I’d read that that something cool was some VIP nonsense. But the thing is you still have to buy the ticket for the show. The whole thing is ridiculous and makes me hate the band even more. Which sucks because I like some of their music pre 10,000 Days (I don’t even really care for Lateralus anymore).

That’s cool that you got your hands on one, I suppose. Are you an avid collector or…? I’m just curious why anyone would buy this.

Yes. I am a “record nerd” as such. I spend hideous amounts of cash on “rarities”, so $150 on a Tool re-issue is nothing to me. I have spent $600+ on boxsets before.

I own a Coil dvd box worth 2 grand!!

Unfortunately there’s nothing new to offer here apart from new artwork. To be honest, I don’t particularly like either Opiate or Undertow - and own neither one of these releases. To me they both sound like a band struggling to find their identity. I detect equal parts Pearl Jam, Rollins Band, Helmet and Rage Against The Machine in the music, so with the benefit of hindsight, it ends up sounding rather “generic” of its time. It’s very much a muscular version of derivate, downbeat, 90s alt metal.

With this in mind, it must sound odd that I’d fork out $150 plus shipping for a product I’m not that fond of just because it has fancy new packaging. But it is a “rarity” after all, and as Tool rarely throw their fans a bone these days, I thought “what the hell”.

Worst comes to worst, I can alway sell it on ebay in five years for a tidy sum. It is autographed after all. And it looks good.

Anyway, new Tool possibly March/April of next year. This re-issue with whet my appetite somewhat til that hits.

[reply]That’s cool that you got your hands on one, I suppose. Are you an avid collector or…? I’m just curious why anyone would buy this.

Yes. I am a “record nerd” as such. I spend hideous amounts of cash on “rarities”, so $150 on a Tool re-issue is nothing to me. I have spent $600+ on boxsets before.

Unfortunately there’s nothing new to offer here apart from new artwork. To be honest, I don’t particularly like either Opiate or Undertow - and own neither one of these releases. To me they both sound like a band struggling to find their identity. I detect equal parts Pearl Jam, Rollins Band, Helmet and Rage Against The Machine in the music, so with the benefit of hindsight, it ends up sounding rather “generic” of its time. It’s very much a muscular version of derivate, downbeat, 90s alt metal.

With this in mind, it must sound odd that I’d fork out $150 plus shipping for a product I’m not that fond of just because it has fancy new packaging. But it is a “rarity” after all, and as Tool rarely throw their fans a bone these days, I thought “what the hell”.

Worst comes to worst, I can alway sell it on ebay in five years for a tidy sum. It is autographed after all. And it looks good.

Anyway, new Tool possibly March/April of next year. This re-issue with whet my appetite somewhat til that hits.[/reply]

I get what you’re saying. If you have the money and it’s something you enjoy doing, whatever. But I really don’t see this as Tool throwing their fans a bone. I see this as a shit thing to do and cheap way to rake in the cash because they’re too lazy or can’t get along well enough to record a new album already and they rely on the TOOL brand name too much to officially just call it quits.

This is what I consider “selling out”. Not radio play, or music videos on MTV, but doing something like this just to get money and because you know you have die-hards who will pay for it. There’s no reason for this piece of shit. They release the same CD with extra pictures, limit the amount, and raise the price to $150. Fuck them. Why not just release the artwork alone for half the price?

Anyway, from your point of view, a collector (which I could never fucking do), I guess I understand. It’s just a cheap and shitty of them to do in my opinion and they’ve lost a lot of integrity to a lot of people because of it.

The price is steep, I cannot argue that. I suppose you would have to ask the band themselves how they can possibly justify charging that sum.

As a consumer, you have the option of buying it or not buying it. The choice is yours. They’re not really ramming it down your throat - you aren’t obligated to buy.

If you have the disposable cash to spend on such luxuries and you are happy with the end product I don’t see the problem. They’re hardly the first band to charge exorbitant fees for a repackaged, reissued album or a “limited” edition vinyl release of some gig (hi Melvins! hi Sunn O)))! hi Swans! ).

[image]http://i.imgur.com/cCDn2x4.jpg[/image]

[image]http://207.7.138.58/images/news/winnerone.jpg[/image]

Anyways…My “TOOL Mixtape”:

Useful Idiot
H
Jimmy
Aenima
Eulogy
The Patient
Mantra
Lateralus
The Pot
Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
Intension
You Lied
Faaip De Oiad

Sorry for derailing this, but since we’re talking about releasing things at excessive prices…

For $300.00, you can get:

the album
the album
a data disc of the multi-tracks of the album that you might or might not remix
the album (but in blu-ray and a slideshow of pictures of sand and coffee creamer)
download links of the album but in different formats that all sound alike because they’re not vinyl
a 48 page book of pictures of sand and coffee creamer
and some framed pictures of sand and coffee creamer

For $500.00, you get:

the album
a blu-ray album but in better resolution
the same book of pictures of sand and coffee creamer
downloads of the album

Oh, and you also get PDF versions of the pictures of sand and coffee creamer.

If you mow Trent’s lawn, you get:

The Slip (vinyl)
The Slip (CD)
The Slip (cassette)
A 24-bit .wav download of The Slip
The Slip performed live in a rehearsal hall on VCD only
A video of Trent listening to The Slip, crossing his arms and nodding at the stereo (also in VCD format)
A bunch of pictures of lines
His wife

I like Ghosts, but seriously, I don’t want to buy it quadice times in different formats and look at pictures of sand. I live on the edge of a desert and drink plenty of coffee with cream. Why do I want to look at more of that for $15,000 (that’s 2 euros these days)? What happened to the pictures of millipedes and poo interlaced with twine? I liked those ones. If anything, he could have just released a 180g vinyl edition with a 12"x12" portrait of something NIN-like (something with poo on it, preferably). I’d buy that.

Speaking of vinyl, does anyone know if Tool’s re-releasing AEnima on vinyl? I still come across new copies of their other albums, but no AEnima, unfortunately.

^ I just bought the standard CD and vinyl of Ghosts. The Boxset is nice, but the content wasn’t worth it for me. I am considering getting the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo vinyl set, which is way nicer.

I’m super jealous that you own CSO. By the time I had the funds, the sets were sold out-both times. :frowning:

I saw that NIN box set for 85 bucks at Amoeba.
I almost bought it for the novelty of it. Don’t think I’ve bought any NIN since TDS and a few singles off of PHM. So I opted to not fork out any cash on it. If the shit’s going for 500 bones now I’m a little miffed I didn’t buy it. Trent’s stuff I’d have no problem selling for a nice profit.
Late,
grmpysmrf

Sorry for derailing this, but since we’re talking about releasing things at excessive prices…

For $300.00, you can get:

the album
the album
the album (but in blu-ray and a slideshow of pictures of sand and coffee creamer)
download links of the album but in different formats that all sound alike because they’re not vinyl
a 48 page book of pictures of sand and coffee creamer
and some framed pictures of sand and coffee creamer

For $500.00, you get:

the album
a blu-ray album but in better resolution
the same book of pictures of sand and coffee creamer
downloads of the album

Oh, and you also get PDF versions of the pictures of sand and coffee creamer.

If you mow Trent’s lawn, you get:

The Slip (vinyl)
The Slip (CD)
The Slip (cassette)
A 24-bit .wav download of The Slip
The Slip performed live in a rehearsal hall on VCD only
A video of Trent listening to The Slip, crossing his arms and nodding at the stereo (also in VCD format)
A bunch of pictures of lines
His wife

I like Ghosts, but seriously, I don’t want to buy it quadice times in different formats and look at pictures of sand. I live on the edge of a desert and drink plenty of coffee with cream. Why do I want to look at more of that for $15,000 (that’s 2 euros these days)? What happened to the pictures of millipedes and poo interlaced with twine? I liked those ones. If anything, he could have just released a 180g vinyl edition with a 12"x12" portrait of something NIN-like (something with poo on it, preferably). I’d buy that.

Speaking of vinyl, does anyone know if Tool’s re-releasing AEnima on vinyl? I still come across new copies of their other albums, but no AEnima, unfortunately.

Execpt the deluxe signed edition of Ghost I-IV was one of many options that were a part of a huge selection of new material. In fact the first half was available for free. It wasn’t limited to 5,000 copies of an album already released for $150 with no real extras other than some ink and paper.

You could’ve bought the regular CD like I did and gotten pictures of sand plus lossless music. Oh, and then found torrents for the multitracks and remixed or whatever and uploaded it to a site nin is hosting for free with no questions asked about how you might have obtained the files.

Totally different story.

Actually the Melvins limited stuff at live shows are fair prices…it’s after the shows that the price sky rockets due to folk putting them on eBay and discogs at 100 times the price. Also the Melvins limited stuff tends to have kick-ass music on it.

I bought the regular CD release. I just don’t like sand that much.