Misfits/Samhain/Danzig

Went to Amoeba Last night and picked up a Newfits vinyl it’s called “Land Of The Dead” apparently only 2000 were made according to Wikipedia…(1000 translucent red vinyl sold at the online store and 1000 translucent orange vinyl sold at concerts. I don’t know which I have cause it’s still sealed but the artwork is pretty damn cool [url http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_of_the_Dead_(song)] Land Of The Dead Wiki
I wonder how come Misfits Central isn’t updated with this info. I had to go to Wiki for it.

Wonder why Danzig isn’t keeping those Samhain albums in print somewhere. He owns the recordings, right?

Probably costs more to print up than he would make or he’s trying to drive up the collect-ability factor. He is into comics, so he certainly knows about the “rarity factor.” According to Misfits central.com he has 12 cases of skateboard decks so I’m sure he’s holding on to those while they appreciate in value. Probably doing the same thing with the rights to his music

Yeah Misfitscentral is pretty thorough with all its timelines, session notes, and pics of most of the different pressings/colored vinyl etc… it is a ton of information to wade through.

Oh yeah,you can easily kill a couple of hours hanging out on that site! Kinda wish Prongs would throw up pics of the covers of bootleg albums and such (hint hint).
Late,
grmpysmrf

I had a ton of Misfits originals about 20 years ago - but sold them all when they were no longer ‘cool’ and started getting into experimental/industrial. Then about a year or so ago I started diggin’ them again.

Always had loads of time for November Coming Fire. Samhain were cool - very weird for their time. I don’t think there was anything else like that around in the mid 80s. He had a lot of guts and alot of insight to stick by what he was doing when everyone else looked like the cast of Less Than Zero (which coincidentally Glenn penned a tune for).

Favourite Danzig related material:

Misfits - Legacy Of Brutality
Misfits - Static Age
Misfits - Misfits
Samhain - November Coming Fire
Danzig - Danzig
Danzig - Danzig II
Danzig - Danzig III

Ignore anything with Glenn’s name on it with a date later than than 1995.

Ignore anything with Glenn’s name on it with a date later than than 1995.

Actually, “Deth Red Sabaoth” is really good and is getting huge rotation from me as of late… I think it could have easily been Danzig 5 if he hadn’t gotten off on the keyboard direction.

I really like “Static Age” it listens almost like a story album about how fucked up society is.

Misfits collection I is sweet too!

As mentioned November … is a very solid record

and I like Danzig 1-4 and now 9

My gems are a first pressing of “Die Die My Darling” and a green vinyl of “Evilive” I think only 1200 were printed.
(I’ve also got a couple bootleg 45s that are kinda rare too but not as rare as the 2 I got.) I bought both at the same time for less than 30 bucks together…I think the Green vinyl was $20 and the Die Die was $10 if I remember right (this was 12 years ago)
Late,
grmpysmrf

I have the bootleg vinyl of 12 Hits from Hell.
The rest of my Misfits/Danzig/Samhain collection (incomplete) are all CD and include the Emond (alt) cover of 6:66 Satan’s Child and a signed copy of III.

I have pretty much the same views as Peligro on the three bands. The early Misfits stuff was well written compared to other punk bands, and although they certainly became a cartoony b-movie band the music itself is pretty timeless. They are also the biggest soap opera of mud slinging, and name calling I’ve ever seen among former bandmates.

Samhain’s November Coming Fire is a really fine album. In My Grip, To Walk The Night, Mother Of Mercy, and November’s Fire are all great songs.

The new Danzig album Deth Red Sabaoth is a bit repetitive in the choruses, and Tommy Victor’s guitar tone is annoying sometimes, but overall it is a pretty solid release. Especially compared to the last 4 Danzig releases. From what I hear Glenn’s voice is back in shape for the live show so that is good news as the last couple of times I saw him he was gasping a lot.

As for the Newfits, ehh the Graves/Only/Doyle/Chud lineup was all right live, the 2nd album Famous Monsters started to come into its own sound then it all imploded. I’ll be curious to hear what this new album Jerry has been promising for about a decade now sounds like if it is ever released.

I have the bootleg vinyl of 12 Hits from Hell.
The rest of my Misfits/Danzig/Samhain collection (incomplete) are all CD and include the Emond (alt) cover of 6:66 Satan’s Child and a signed copy of III.

Oh Yeah i forgot the 12 hits from hell CD. I’ve got that too and the Vinyl, I had no Idea the Vinyl was a boot until after I purchased it! somebody went through a lot of trouble to wax that thing… Who boots Vinyl anymore??

I certainly paid a Mint for the 12 hits CD though! 125.00 Bucks at Amoeba Still 50 bucks cheaper than anything on the net and I got no damage to cd or artwork (No punch in the bar code or slice in the inlay/booklet or anything!) the vinyl was only 15 buck after shipping through Ebay though.

Actually forgot quite a few things. Got Danzig 4p Vinyl courtesy of my Buddy who I let stay at my house

The How the Gods Kill Collector Box with the puffy Giger work on the front of the box. (time and dry weather has put little cracks here and there in the puffy work though) It came with the uncensored video for the S/T track (Man I loved that woman’s tits in the video, beautiful tear drops!)

The 1st pressing Coffin

Samhain Box Set. Although, the Samhain set I bought second hand and the front of the Box has corner damage but everything in the box is solid!

Did Danzig sign your CD in front of you or did you buy it with the signature? Awesome if he signed it for you. was he the ass that everyone claims he is?

If I ever get to meet him I plan on asking him how 138=violence

They are also the biggest soap opera of mud slinging, and name calling I’ve ever seen among former bandmates.

What mudslinging? I thought the only person they “hated” was Bobby Steele and I still have no idea why… My buddy has a “Xmas at Max’s” vinyl boot where they talk a whole lotta shit about Bobby Steele and how they are gonna kill him and shit… What’s the bad blood between Only and Danzig?

The new Danzig album Deth Red Sabaoth is a bit repetitive in the choruses, and Tommy Victor’s guitar tone is annoying sometimes, but overall it is a pretty solid release.

I think Black Candy is the only repetitive chorus that I can think of but I happen to like it so it works for me. I really have no complaints about the new album… as you said his voice is back in form the songs are catchy the lyrics are catchy! just happy he’s back to decent!

As for the Newfits, ehh the Graves/Only/Doyle/Chud lineup was all right live, the 2nd album Famous Monsters started to come into its own sound then it all imploded.

Oh yeah I’m glad I started with Famous Monsters cause American Psycho was crap! I think Famous Monsters was very good and catchy! Fun songs!
Shocked to see that Michael Graves is only a year older than me! He sounds way older than that. I haven’t heard his solo Material anybody know if it’s any good?

I’ll be curious to hear what this new album Jerry has been promising for about a decade now sounds like if it is ever released.

Well, Only is singing Vocals, you can hear it on youtube it’s not bad but it certainly isn’t great.
Late,
grmpysmrf

According to misfitscentral.com

This link was broken!!! Always check you links before you post, kids!
You’re Forever Welcome!
Captain_URL

Glenn ‘Glassjaw’ Danzig is such a douche now. It’s sad when old men continue to take themselves too seriously, so obviously in fact.

Never was a big Misfits fan, though I liked their drummer.

Danzig I - IV were kinda cool…

im a really invested member over at Misfitscentral actually… its the only other MB i frequent… i poke at the Deadsy Board sometime for nostalgia… haha.

i LOVE the misfits, and i think that Michale is a phenomenal singer. no question. his solo acoustic music, solo punk stuff, the Graves album, and last but NOWHERE NEAR least GOTHAM ROAD… great singer, amazingly cool guy to talk with.

i thought Samhain was cool. but not as interesting. and Danzig 1-4 are priceless albums. 4 actually being my favorite. and while Circle of Snakes was pretty ok (the best since 4) this new one DRS is fucking killer. still not as good as 1-4… but class none the less.

Everyone seems to dislike Jerry except for maybe Robo, Dez Cadena, and Marky Ramone. Even his own brother Doyle, won’t work with him any longer. Danzig won’t even mention Jerry by name any more, he just says “the other guy”. I don’t think that it is a money dispute holding back a Misfits reunion as it would be a sure-fire moneymaker, it has to be some sort of ego or personal issues.

Still in a recent interview Jerry said that Glenn was once a really good friend, and that he missed him so who knows.

When I met the band in '98 Jerry was the nicest guy, loved to talk about stuff and was pretty excited about the music and fans. Doyle was a robot. I have to say that even the couple of times I’ve met Glenn he was actually nicer than either Doyle or Michale Graves.

im a really invested member over at Misfitscentral actually…

I was thinking about signing up over there cause the board here has been mega slow! (people have lives now I guess!) But looking at their board it looks almost slower than here, so why bother?

i LOVE the misfits, and i think that Michale is a phenomenal singer. no question. his solo acoustic music, solo punk stuff, the Graves album, and last but NOWHERE NEAR least GOTHAM ROAD… great singer, amazingly cool guy to talk with.

I agree about his voice I wouldn’t go to the degree that you think but he certainly has chops and is a decent replacement for Danzig… Been kinda put off by Graves since he’s apparently a mega conservative. Daily Show ran a bit about him about how rich he thinks he is and thinking he fits in at the country club and shit! Pretty funny actually. They had him all decked out in his costume trying to play tennis and getting the stupid looks from the richies! [url http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/50996/detail/] Punk Republican

Probably pick up something used cause I don’t want to pay that guy directly since I don’t agree at all with his politics, so I’m not throwing any $$ his way so he can donate it to the RNC, but I’m still curious

Danzig 1-4 are priceless albums. 4 actually being my favorite. and while Circle of Snakes was pretty ok (the best since 4) this new one DRM is fucking killer. still not as good as 1-4… but class none the less.

I completely agree with all of this. EXCEPT #4. Lucifuge is my all time fave Danzig album. I love the dark blues atmosphere he creates! The melodies are charming the lyrics are dark, just fucking killer album. HWTGK is my Next fave then S/T and then a Close 4P for fourth. I’m actually thinking DRM might bump 4p into the 5 slot! I’m really digging DRM.

Circle of Snakes seemed to be edging more towards the older stuff which I was hoping for. That old sound started to poke through on iLuciferi actually. 7and 8 had gotten away from the crappy noise industrial wannabe music he was making but 7 & 8were just too bland as far as Danzig Albums go. I hope he just continues in the the direction of DRM for the remainder of his career.

I gotta give JLW some sort of credibility for his post. As much as I enjoy Danzig, the guy is 55 years old still singing about demons like he’s a castigated high school geek. How much longer can he keep the D&D subject matter going before it gets ridiculously bad…? BUT, You know what, his voice still sounds fantastic, so I guess time will tell. His voice really hasn’t aged and that’s freaking great!

As far as the glass jaw goes… probably long over due that he got dropped but seriously sucks that anyone’s worst moment is on the internet for all to see.
Late,
grmpysmrf

Everyone seems to dislike Jerry except for maybe Robo, Dez Cadena, and Marky Ramone. Even his own brother Doyle, won’t work with him any longer. Danzig won’t even mention Jerry by name any more, he just says “the other guy”. I don’t think that it is a money dispute holding back a Misfits reunion as it would be a sure-fire moneymaker, it has to be some sort of ego or personal issues.

I dislike Jerry Only for the simple fact that he has Marketed the shit out of the Misfits: backpacks, shoes, SHOELACES (fucking shoe laces!!!) lunch pails, and countless other things that need not the Crimson Ghost’s image. Blech! If I were Danzig that’s what I’d be pissed about.

It seems like Only has nothing going for him but this band and instead of trying to make a name for himself, branch out and start something new, (something new but perhaps even in the same vein as the Misfits) he’s riding the coattails of a band name. He’s trying to milk the teet of a band he didn’t even start! Perhaps that’s where the animosity comes from with Danzig. Only is Just making money off of another dude’s work as if it were his own.

Shit even Dave Grohl and Chris Noviselic moved on after Nirvana. They’re not still touring under that popular moniker and creating songs to sell under the name! Seems like that’s all Only is doing
Late,
grmpysmrf

Glenn was the nicest guy when I met him - signed my vinyl copy of Danzig III, my picture disk copy of Thrall and my Misfits Walk Among Us vinyl. I’ve not dared to play any of those albums since they were signed either - they’re all for display only!!

Can’t stand the new album. Gave it a spin, but pheeeeuuuuw what a stinker.

Also agree that he is a douche. He’s thinks he’s such a badass when really he’s become an outdated comical relic from a bygone era who now make embarrassing music.

A bit like…um…y’know - whatsisname.

[:)]

Shit even Dave Grohl and Chris Noviselic moved on after Nirvana. They’re not still touring under that popular moniker and creating songs to sell under the name!

Insofar as you’d consider Dave Grohl’s new artistic direction as ‘moving forward’.

Did Danzig sign your CD in front of you or did you buy it with the signature? Awesome if he signed it for you. was he the ass that everyone claims he is?

III was a used disc with the added bonus that it was signed.

[reply]
Shit even Dave Grohl and Chris Noviselic moved on after Nirvana. They’re not still touring under that popular moniker and creating songs to sell under the name!

Insofar as you’d consider Dave Grohl’s new artistic direction as ‘moving forward’.[/reply]

true dat.

Here’s a picture of Glenn I took at a convention in '95 when he was just starting his comic publishing company.

[reply]

Insofar as you’d consider Dave Grohl’s new artistic direction as ‘moving forward’.[/reply]
Well it’s certainly in the same vain as Nirvana I just meant he’s not milking the Nirvana name the way Only is doing with the Misfits.

Too bad you don’t like the new Danzig… did you listen to the actual CD or did you just listen to the rips on youtube? everything I’ve heard on the net has really bad sound quality (like tape hiss) and this is coming from a guy who is in no way a production geek.
Late,
grmpysmrf

He certainly does seem convinced of his own apparent ‘awesomeness’.

I had a puppy once who stole one of my slippers and crawled under the bed with it and proceeded to gnaw and slobber over the thing for the best part of a half an hour.

In retrospect even that chewed up, slobbered on slipper is a hell of a lot more appealing right now than the new Danzig album - which I would put right up there with Sexx-o Olympic-o and a week old bucket of KFC original recipe chicken.

That guy really has taken the express route down the ol’ slippery dip that is the downward spiral.

Wasn’t Danzig the guy who got his ass handed to him backstage (in one punch I believe…) and
then had it posted all over the net?