List of Unreleased Songs (Updated)

It’s been a while since this list has been updated. Some songs from 1981 were recently mentioned and a couple from the previous list have since seen release.

Here’s a list of all known unreleased tracks, sorted by year:

LEGEND

(+) Surfaced in trading circles

(*) Hasn’t surfaced, but a recording exists

(-) Hasn’t surfaced, more info is needed

Cold Life (demo sessions) -

First True Love Affair (Jimmy Ross Cover, Live) *

Make Up Your Mind (Live) *

Jodie Foster (Live) *

Orangotango (Live) *

The Urge To Runaway (Live) +

Be Mean To Me (early version of “I Wanted To Tell Her”) *

She’s Got A Cause (early version with alternate lyrics) [Live version has surfaced, but a studio version exists]

Foxhole Trot (with Shay Jones) -

Here We Go (Demo/Alt Mix) *

What He Say (Demo/Alt Mix) *

Say You’re Sorry (Demo/Alt Mix) *

So So Life (Live) +

Hardman (Live) +

007 Theme (John Barry cover, used as a live intro to Overkill) +

Hopeless Days (A snippet appears in the Industrial Accident film) *

Everyday Is Halloween (two demo versions with alternate lyrics) +

Hizbollah (early version) +

Do You Even Like It? +

Ricky’s Hand (Fad Gadget cover) +

Oceanside Away (with Patty J) -

The Harmonica Song -

Isle Of Man (Version 1) [Unofficially appeared on “Twitched”] +

Twitch (Version 1) [Unofficially appeared on “Twitched”] +

The Angel (Short Version) [Unofficially appeared on “Twitched”] +

Abortive (Early Version) [Unofficially appeared on “Twitched”] +

My Possession (Extended Version) [Unofficially appeared on “Twitched”] +

The Angel (Remix, with new instrumentation and vocals) *

What’s My Mission Now? (Vocal version, instrumental later given to Tackhead) -

Revolting Cocks-We Shall Cleanse the World (Original vocal, basis for Razormaid version) -

Thrill Kill Kult (later reworked into Lead Into Gold’s Hatred) +

The Eyes of Christ (later reworked into 1000 Homo DJs’ Apathy) +

Revolting Cocks-Cattle Grind (Demo)+

Ingrate-

I’m Sick-

Stigmata LP (early version of LORAH album) Stigmata/Abortive/Ingrate/Apathy/The Idiot/See More Spine/I’m Sick/The Idiot (Version)/Blackened Heart

?

?

Revolting Cocks-Chickenshit (John Cale cover) +

NWO (Bonus Beats Remix -appeared on a white label promo, but not on an official release) +

Revolting Cocks-Crackin’ Up (Demo Version)+

Midnight Cowboy (John Barry cover live) +

Filth Pig: An alternate version of the entire album (rumored) -

Lion’s Mouth (Vocal version) -

Welt (possibly from the Welt sessions, this isn’t Noreen, but the The Fall’s piano sections originated here) -

Witchita Lineman (Glen Campbell cover, not sure if it was recorded, but it was dropped in favor of Lay Lady Lay) -

?

?

Ambient Album (Happy Dust originated from this, along with other titles such as Yes You Are, Tinsel, Monkey Brains and Indian) -

Supermanic (Demo version with samples not in final version) +

Step (Extended) +

Nursing Home (Extended) +

?

Dead Practice (instrumental, later became “Animosity”) *

Paydirt * (instrumental, later became “Lockbox”)

Scartown * (instrumental, later became “Unsung”)

Scartown with Anthem * (instrumental, later became “Unsung-Alternate Mix”)

Crucial Bitch (early version of “Piss”) -

Trailer Smell (early version of “Broken”) -

?

Zero (an early version of WKYJ with alternate lyrics) *

Wasted (an early version of Worthless with alternate lyrics) *

?

?

?

?

?

?

Double Tap (long version) *

Cats in the Microwave

1 Like

Edits: Removed “Playground” since it saw official release on “Halloween: The Lost Mixes”. Added the following 1981 songs: “Make Up Your Mind”, “Jodie Foster”, “Orangotango”. Listed a few With Sympathy era demos. Removed sections for specific live shows and scrapped single releases, and put a focus on individual songs.

Previous threads and edits can be found here: UPDATED: Knowledgebase for Unreleased Tracks (9/2/19)

and here: Knowledge Base for Unreleased Tracks

2 Likes

I wish they would release “Cat’s In The Microwave” from the FBTE sessions… the little snippets heard in the studio diaries sounded both funny and catchy. Can’t remember which episode it was featured in, but it was sometime during the first three episodes.

2 Likes

That sounds vaguely familiar, may need to give those episodes a rewatch and add it to the list.

“The Idiot” wonder if that ended up being “idiot” for Lead into Gold.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s the same track. I’m interested to hear what the differences are between the two versions.

1 Like

I was djing at my high school prom at the end 90’s. I played Where You At Now / Crash And Burn and amazing that everyone loved it and was dancing like crazy. The dancefloor looked like a moshpit.

1 Like

Tell me more about this earlly version of LORAH, and where the track listing came from. Sounds like eventual side project material (Lead Into Gold, 1000 Homo DJs) played a heavy part in this. Also, I wonder if “See More Spine” was actually “Show Me Your Spine”?

–SKot

1 Like

The tracklist was shared on Instragram by waxtraxchicago. “Stigmata” was a working title for LORAH, Al mentioned during a couple 1987 shows and interviews, IIRC. “See More Spine” is more than likely “Show Me Your Spine”, but the credits in the image says that it has an Al vocal. So a different vocal track at the very least.

2 Likes

I remember the movie “AI” credits two Minsitry tracks: What About Us and Dead Practice. The only bit of Ministry music apart from the single is riff from Lockbox, which is briefly heard from that fairground in the distance. So I’d say Dead Practice is work in progress title for what later became Lockbox.

3 Likes

So I made a simulated version of this, obviously omitting the alternate version of “The Idiot”, “Ingrate”, and “I’m Sick”. It sounds pretty cool. Any idea what those other two tracks might have been?

It makes a lot of sense that these tracks would be originally meant for the same album…I remember thinking similar things when I first heard them (apart from “Show Me Your Spine”, which sounds like nothing else). There’s just a certain sound to this post-Twitch, pre-LORAH period that I really like.

I do have to wonder why “Hatred” (aka “Thrill Kill Kult”) isn’t one of these tracks, unless it’s actually under a different name as “Ingrate” or “I’m Sick”. It would have fit perfectly with these others, and they were obviously performing it as Ministry at one point.

–SKot

Good question. No idea on Ingrate or I’m Sick.

What’s interesting about the Thrill Kill Kult song is that it spawned both Hatred (the lead sequence/drums) and The Idiot (bassline). There are two versions of The Idiot listed in the tracklist, maybe it’s the music for Hatred but with different lyrics.

It’s anyone’s guess really.

Do you know what date this track list is from?

Here’s a concert from May '87 where someone announces the forthcoming album as being titled Stigmata, right before performing “Abortive.” Can’t tell if it’s Al with an affected English accent or someone else. I wonder if “Stigmata” is just a word he liked and ended up using once the song was written, or if what he says in his memoir about it being written last-minute was hogwash.

Never hit me until now how “Abortive” is like the LORAH version of “Over the Shoulder.” Maybe it’s better that vocals were never added.

1 Like

Definitely Al talking.

1 Like

I think the track list was updated late last year, but it’s always in progress.

That is a cool version of Abortive, as far as I know, that live performance is the only version with Vocals.

Sorry, I was unclear – I meant do we know what date that track list in the image you shared from Instagram was actually written? I don’t have Instagram, and they’ve gotten hostile to private/anonymous viewing, so I’m not sure if the caption for that photo said something like “Notes from Oct 1987” or something.

Now that I think about it, I’m guessing if vocals had eventually been put on “Abortive,” they would’ve been abrasive and Skinny Puppy-esque, as they are in that video. The type of singing in “Over the Shoulder” appears to be an odd one-off/anomaly.

Oh, gotcha. I don’t think there was a date listed in the post, it was one of those “look what we found” type things.

My guess would be late 1987/early 1988.

1 Like